Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2014, 18:10   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Pompey Match Thread...........

Problem being he just isn't a striker and you cannot deny his work rate but he will never get you 20 a season bring back Mullers
Old 13-12-2014, 18:21   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
Problem being he just isn't a striker and you cannot deny his work rate but he will never get you 20 a season bring back Mullers

If only Nige !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 18:56   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Can't wait for Chimer's thoughts on today.
Quote:
Think you may have to wait until tomorrow....evening
Well seeing as you asked . I might just have a few later .... but I've got to run around on a hockey pitch tomorrow afternoon

Hard to know what to say after watching an away win .... first since Barnet in the Cup replay .... and Mrs C's first since Woking!!

Fabulous start and the Pompey fans booing their side after the second one ... bit more composure for a while then and they'd have really started getting stick. Pompey's first goal just rolled gently into the corner, the second a lovely lob, but once Rosey slipped it was a lost cause. Then when we missed the penalty it suddenly felt as though a draw would be a good result .

Start of the second half 4-2 down looked like it would be a good result , but we worked our way back into it and suddenly we're in front with 12 minutes to go! And after that it was "they shall not pass" - hard to tell from 120 yards how they didn't, but who cares? Certainly some great keeping in there all the way through the half.

MoM - Piero by a short head from Rosey. I felt for Joyce taking that penalty in front of the Fratton End - I'm sure he'd have scored at our end. And having been following the Crooks debate on here, have to say I was disappointed to see how easily he was eased off the ball - especially as he was the only Stanley forward who wasn't a foot shorter than the Pompey defenders.

A great day - but ....... the effort from the Ultras in support was immense, but why oh why the gratuitous foul language? You might notice the rest of us tend to join in when you're just being funny, or supportive, but shut up as soon as the effing and ceeing starts. Mrs C and her friend were disgusted, and I was embarrassed, for them and all the parents with kids who made up part of the 84. And to the muppet who found a new word for prostitute in his dictionary this week, and used it every 15 seconds in the first half, including directing it specifically at an individual female Pompey fan in the nearest section of the North Stand ...... get a life, mate.
Old 13-12-2014, 19:15   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

How bads Atkinsons injury? anyone know? could do wi him at Yeovil, but looks dodgy.
Old 13-12-2014, 19:16   #50
Resting in Peace

Cheers, Chimer. A bit of a curate's egg, that report. Such a huge shame that our most passionate and faithful fans end up embarrassing the rest of us. It's so unnecessary! Your impression of Crooks's play chimes (ha ha) with most of the supporters I hear and I really, really hope Carver gets the nod on Tuesday. If not, I wouldn't mind Coley starting Tom up front, just as a one-off, which this game surely is, but that would depend on Atkinson being fit.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 19:27   #51

Great win - looks like Matt & Emma's 100% strike rate watching Stanley is still intact.

And guess what ????????

They're going to Yeovil...............................
smudgie likes this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 20:01   #52
God Member

Must wholeheartedly agree with Chimer's comments on the foul-mouthed language. It's not funny but demeaning for grown men to behave like that in response to a bit of pre-pubescent goading from a handful of children sitting in the nearest home section. If you can't respond with a bit of wit, try ignoring the opposing fans, otherwise it makes you look the bigger child.
As to the match, it was a cracker. Stanley were superb in the first ten minutes and fully deserved their 2 goal lead. But Pompey's quick riposte (a very well taken goal by one of their classier players) got them back into the game. As Chimer noted, had Stanley been able to keep a clean sheet for another 10 minutes, it might have been a different, and probably less enjoyable, game.
It was inevitable that Joyce's penalty wouldn't go in given the delay and, from where I sat, the fact it didn't really look a penalty. Funny how often undeserved penalties get saved.
Special mention must go to the ref who, whilst not bad, seemed to give Stanley everything for the first half hour then gave them little or nothing for a similar period in the second half. In the end his inconsistency even itself out and I doubt even Cashy could have had too many complaints about the officials.
Rose certainly kept Stanley alive; that what he's there for and he did his job commendably today. Really pleased for Messrs Mingoia that the winning goal was in front of the Stanley fans. I thought Piero had pushed the ball too far but his determination paid off.
First time I've seen Mr.Crooks and I thought he worked really hard, won his fair share of headers, chased down lost causes, and was far from being a 'donkey'. To be honest, if he could do everything some seem to expect of him, and get 20 goals a season, he wouldn't be on loan with Stanley.
I hope the early substitution of Atkinson was precautionary and that Dr.Proctor is back to reclaim his place from Mr.Barry on Tuesday night.
Great team performance today and a fitting response to the abysmal performance at Fratton Park last season.
Finally, congrats and thanks to Professor Coleman for, with one minor exception, picking a strong side and not opting to 'rest' his A team.
AccyMad and yonmon like this.

Last edited by Exile on Spencer St; 13-12-2014 at 20:03.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 20:53   #53
God Member

Quote:
Didn't know John was still playing
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 21:26   #54
Senior Member+

Have to agree with Chimer & Exile. A great start - Portsmouth were abysmal in the first 20 minutes. I feared we would crumble when they got their equaliser but we dug in and defended well. Tom was his usual immense self but a special word for Michael Liddle too. For me it was a choice between him and Piero for MoM.

I too want to pour scorn on the individual who shamed the rest of us - and the pathetic few who tried to emulate him. I know we don't have a great following at away matches - or even at home. But please take note - we can well do without you.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 11:25   #55
God Member

P.S. It was good to meet Dan and Emma and, with their record, can only hope they make it to Yeovil !
cashman and smobile like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 12:01   #56

Great attacking display, even at 3.2 our full backs piling forward.
defence kept a clean sheet when it reverted to hunt, aldred, winnard, liddle
colemans approach you score 4 we score five attitude
matt crooks put a shift in for the team, time to encourage the young man
put your selt belts on for tuesday their will be pleny of turbulance down at yeovil
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 12:03   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Wish a shift would be put in wi the website, checkout our latest addition.
Old 14-12-2014, 12:46   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wish a shift would be put in wi the website, checkout our latest addition.
What addition is that then,Cashy?
Old 14-12-2014, 13:06   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
What addition is that then,Cashy?
F.A.Cup second round. at the top of the list.
Old 14-12-2014, 15:18   #60
Resting in Peace

I see what you mean, but I can get the updated version on my mobile, with Coley on our great win at Pompey, etc.. Weird!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..