Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2018, 19:56   #16

Re: Pompey thread

Excellent game, we showed we could again compete with the best the division has to offer. I think a point a piece was fair. As others have said first 20 minutes, Pompey where chiming. We then got into the game had the penalty well saved. Both sides created chances from here but after we equalised there was only going to be one winner. Ripley is a step up in keeper to maxted (He came across well as a bloke at the supporters meeting on Thursday, Middlesbrough could have saved the £5 million on Randolph and had him in nets but there loss is our gain!). Liked mingoia particularly first half, showed his usual realiable delivery. Defense coped well with the high quality Pompey forward line. We lost out at times in midfield but barliser and Finley got more of a grip as game went on. From the snippets we see of hall he must be pushing for a starting berth. Pleased with the atmosphere and attendance.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2018, 20:06   #17
God Member

Cracker of a game, yes Portsmouth came out of the traps faster but we stuck at it & ground out a result despite at times some nasty, peevish tactics from some of the opposition players trying to rile our lads.
So happy to see Pierro get his chance (nothing against Jordan before 28 jumps down my throat) but he did really well & will possibly get another chance next week with Sean getting his 5th yellow today.
Overall, well played lads - 4 points from those last 3 difficult games is a good tally imho
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 20:11   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Good game today, Stanley were slow in getting settled leaving Pompey to run the first half hour as they saw fit (The talented Mr.Ripley keepimg the Stanley in the game). Billys pen after 32 mins would've changed things had it not been for their keepers good reactions.

That said though, the saved pen was the turning point for the Reds who started to turn up the heat leading upto half time. (I'd say they were the better side in the last 15).

Second half & the Reds had pepper in their arses & started in were they'd left off, pressuring the Southerners, who soaked it up with the occassional foray forward from a quck break, scraping the crozzy around 57, then going on to bury one about 62/63 mins in. (Pompey 1 Stanley 0)

The Redmen weren't taking it lying down & came blazing back, pressuring the sailor boys & Ihkeboy brought us back into the game within 2 minutes (1-1). The rest of the game was ours for the taking, but the lack of a decent finish, Pompey digging in & some questionable refereeing left us with all things even at the final whistle.

All in all, a pleasent enough way to spend a sunny wintery November afternoon in Accy, enjoying the company of reprobates & watching some good Footy.

PS. Good turn out today 3558 according to the "Big Screen"

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 27-10-2018 at 20:15.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 20:31   #19
Full Member+

Have the powers that be brought in new ref rules that seemed to be used in this game where what was given as a foul in the 2nd half were not deemed as fouls in the first.
(them on top first half, us 2nd half) ?
AccyMad, sherry and choirboy like this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 20:54   #20
Senior Member+

I must agree with earlier comments about the changes of the state of periods of domination in the game and the comments about which players did well for us today.
However, for me the game was spoiled somewhat by poor refereeing!
Portsmouth clearly seem to be one of those teams who are 'Coached' into employing 'Spoiling Tactics' in order to stop opponents building momentum.
Swindon were just like this when they held us to a 1 -1 draw at home a couple of seasons ago!
The Pompey centre backs and big lad up front all led into challenges with an arm first making it very difficult for our boys to get any where near the ball! Also, when we were in possession and attacking, they continuously 'Ragged' at our players, sticking hands, arms, legs and hips in where they could in order to disrupt our footballing instincts and forward momentum. Not obvious single 'fouls' but not in the spirit of the game IMHO. The referee also gave some dodgy decisions IMHO. For example, our penalty was a bit of a soft award as Billy definitely ran across the keepers line towards the ball. Also for the Pompey goal, he awarded them a free kick which was a clear error and also missed the holding of one of our defenders as they put the ball in the net. He also allowed a couple free kicks to be taken 25 yards from where the 'offences' took part! etc etc. One more.....he chose to ignore the assault by the Pompey No 11 Curtis on Callum Johnson in the second half and a studs up tackle by the same player later in the second half! What about the 'Belly flop' dives by their right back which completely conned the referee?
Ripley definitely kept us in the match early on in the first twenty minutes, Pierro did what he does and did it well, some great crosses delivered in. Billy worked tirelessly as he always does. Offrande had to negotiate the usual 'Wrestling' tactics by his opponents! Ihieckwe was so strong once again in defence and I was really pleased for him to get on the score sheet. Hughes was so cool that he should be on 'Strictly come Dancing'. Finley was all over the pitch like a 'Human Dynamo'. Sean was a bit wayward today with some of his passes but Captained the team well. The rest of the lads played well too.
In conclusion, I thought that had we been allowed to play our blend of attacking football, both by the referee and but for Pompey's devious tactics, that we would have proved to have been the better team and come away with three points today!

I feel a bit somewhat frustrated!
It sounds like I just seem to have it in for referees but I wish that they would just apply the rules properly and let us watch some flowing football.
We played against twelve today and still got a good result!
ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH.

Last edited by choirboy; 27-10-2018 at 20:56.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 21:05   #21
Senior Member+

ps. A great turn out today by supporters of both teams.
Well done to the 1,000 Pompey fans for making the long journey from the south coast.
Well done too to the 2,500 local fans for coming and nearly filling our part of the ground.
T'was brilliant to have no room to move in the Clayton End!
Accrington did look truly 'Rural' on a beautiful autumn day with great views across to The Coppice and Great Hameldon Hill.
ON STANLEY ON
Old 27-10-2018, 21:10   #22

What a privilege it was to attend today's game.
Perfect autumn weather, a near capacity crowd & a chance to go toe-to-toe with the league leaders.
Pompey arrived accompanied by their vast army of fans determined to maintain their unbeaten run.
So dominant were they in the first 25 minutes a Halloween Horror Show looked on the cards.
Stanley were all at sea but thanks mainly to Ripley & the post - 'A Nightmare on Kenilworth Rd' - Part 2, was avoided.
Any other team failing to convert a penalty, followed by conceding a goal, would probably have folded.
But Stanley aren't any other team & within 2 minutes Ihiekwe, who IMHO was immense today, levelled.
Stanley finally got their passing game together second half & enjoyed a real purple patch.
By the end of the game, it was Pompey who were on the ropes & lucky to return home with a point.
As Harold Macmillan once famously said; 'People of Accrington! You've never had it so good!'
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 07:20   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Watched the highlights on "Quest" last night, was quite a few penalties awarded in league 1 yesterday, "ALL" were MISSED, which was a real shock musta been 5 or 6 of em, what really pleased me about it was Hylton missed one also.
Old 28-10-2018, 09:25   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Watched the highlights on "Quest" last night, was quite a few penalties awarded in league 1 yesterday, "ALL" were MISSED, which was a real shock musta been 5 or 6 of em, what really pleased me about it was Hylton missed one also.

I watched the Quest coverage this morning and have changed my mind about our 'Soft' penalty award. It looked much more like a 'nailed on' penalty from that camera angle than from where I was in the Clayton end

Just loved Hylton's arrogant 'FAILURE' to convert his penalty though!
cashman likes this.
Old 28-10-2018, 09:29   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

From where we were stood was a definite penalty no question, one of the few things that clown got right, mind he was as bad for them, also got the football league paper this morning he got (7) in their ratings, they musta been ****ed as well.
Old 28-10-2018, 17:24   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Cracker of a game, yes Portsmouth came out of the traps faster but we stuck at it & ground out a result despite at times some nasty, peevish tactics from some of the opposition players trying to rile our lads.
So happy to see Pierro get his chance (nothing against Jordan before 28 jumps down my throat) but he did really well & will possibly get another chance next week with Sean getting his 5th yellow today.
Overall, well played lads - 4 points from those last 3 difficult games is a good tally imho
Missed my first game so couldn’t possibly comment. Mind you I could create my own report by reading social media and watching 60 seconds of highlights.
AccyMad, cashman and Revived Red like this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 17:37   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Revived Red - yeah, I comment on football I have seen and idiotic and needlessly inflammatory posts on social media I have read.
Is that ok?
Sadly you lay yourself open to critical comments if you comment on football that you haven't seen as though you had in fact seen it.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 17:49   #28
Senior Member+

Could Mingoia or Clark switch to the left next week ?
Old 28-10-2018, 18:03   #29

Lord Didsbury was not commenting on football he hadn't seen.

He was talking about the social media furore around a non-footballing incident that occurred at a game he didn't see first hand.

I don't agree with him but he's allowed his opinion without being snipped at.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 18:40   #30
Senior Member+

No he wasn’t !!!!
You clearly haven’t read what he posted !!!
Revived Red likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..