Thread: Pompey thread
View Single Post
Old 27-10-2018, 20:54   #20
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Pompey thread

I must agree with earlier comments about the changes of the state of periods of domination in the game and the comments about which players did well for us today.
However, for me the game was spoiled somewhat by poor refereeing!
Portsmouth clearly seem to be one of those teams who are 'Coached' into employing 'Spoiling Tactics' in order to stop opponents building momentum.
Swindon were just like this when they held us to a 1 -1 draw at home a couple of seasons ago!
The Pompey centre backs and big lad up front all led into challenges with an arm first making it very difficult for our boys to get any where near the ball! Also, when we were in possession and attacking, they continuously 'Ragged' at our players, sticking hands, arms, legs and hips in where they could in order to disrupt our footballing instincts and forward momentum. Not obvious single 'fouls' but not in the spirit of the game IMHO. The referee also gave some dodgy decisions IMHO. For example, our penalty was a bit of a soft award as Billy definitely ran across the keepers line towards the ball. Also for the Pompey goal, he awarded them a free kick which was a clear error and also missed the holding of one of our defenders as they put the ball in the net. He also allowed a couple free kicks to be taken 25 yards from where the 'offences' took part! etc etc. One more.....he chose to ignore the assault by the Pompey No 11 Curtis on Callum Johnson in the second half and a studs up tackle by the same player later in the second half! What about the 'Belly flop' dives by their right back which completely conned the referee?
Ripley definitely kept us in the match early on in the first twenty minutes, Pierro did what he does and did it well, some great crosses delivered in. Billy worked tirelessly as he always does. Offrande had to negotiate the usual 'Wrestling' tactics by his opponents! Ihieckwe was so strong once again in defence and I was really pleased for him to get on the score sheet. Hughes was so cool that he should be on 'Strictly come Dancing'. Finley was all over the pitch like a 'Human Dynamo'. Sean was a bit wayward today with some of his passes but Captained the team well. The rest of the lads played well too.
In conclusion, I thought that had we been allowed to play our blend of attacking football, both by the referee and but for Pompey's devious tactics, that we would have proved to have been the better team and come away with three points today!

I feel a bit somewhat frustrated!
It sounds like I just seem to have it in for referees but I wish that they would just apply the rules properly and let us watch some flowing football.
We played against twelve today and still got a good result!
ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH.

Last edited by choirboy; 27-10-2018 at 20:56.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote