Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2017, 08:28   #31
God Member

Re: Review on our pies

I wonder if we keep tabs on the average spend per person WITHIN the ground? It would make an interesting comparison between home and away fans. I personally never used yo bother eating, as I couldnt queue for beer AND food. Now I get a pie at half time.

Twas a good point raised earlier with regards to away fans not being able to spend money in the vicinity[/QUOTE]

as a home fan you,ll probebly have something to eat at home before heading off to the match. away fans don,t have this luxury so therefore you,ve got a captive audiance and if we have a reputation for decent grub for away fans they,d be happy to use the facilities giving more money to the club. i personally don,t spend a penny in the ground unless i forget my flask and i can go 5 hours or so without food.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45   #32

That's a very, very good point MH.

The reality is ASFC is a business, away fans are customers. Give them a good experience, develop a good reputation and more of them will come. And yes, they will probably spend more.

That fanzone outside Wycombe last year was a good case in point. They actually sold IPA, had a nice tented area....ok the sun was an added bonus but wasn't it lovely? And WW would have raked in a good few bob for their efforts. I bet they would not have made anything like it from home fans.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:54   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The sports bar is open today for home @ away fans, beer @ grub then should be same price for both sets of fans, that can only be a good move imho.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

AH has said in the past that his priority is to improve facilities for home fans in the hope of increasing and retaining the fan base. Is it acceptable to forego that 'plan' in order to better feed our once a year interlopers?
For 'once a year interlopers' read valuable cash paying customers.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 20:42   #35

It's national pie week this week.
This lunchtime I went to Pieminister and had a delicious saag paneer pie with mash for £5.
Put Hollands to shame.

<message ends>
Old 06-03-2017, 21:33   #36
Senior Member+

Is there a saag paneer factory near Accrington? I haven't seen any of their vans.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 21:57   #37

Stanley could be a Pieminister stockist. It's on their website in fact. I reckon it could put a few hundred on the gate and solve that away fan dilemma.

Favouring local business may be a noble aim, but not when it comes to Hollands. They should be in a pie crimes tribunal for their peppered steak abomination.
Old 06-03-2017, 22:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Is there a saag paneer factory near Accrington? I haven't seen any of their vans.
Not unless they sell em at the pound shop!
Accrington's last factory closed when I were nobbut a lad!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 22:27   #39

I thought the holland's factory still makes pies?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I thought the holland's factory still makes pies?
It does not officially accy though- Baxenden.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25   #41
God Member

pies are really a personel thing. one mans meat or lack of it etc. found the pies i got as a kid bigger and more tasty than todays. a lot are far too poncy for my northern taste buds with bloody herbs and such in em or sould i say infused. but thats me as some people love pukka pies so i,ll leave it there.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:36   #42

Good memory there Monkey Hanger. To remember how things tasted decades on. I can still recall the taste of burnt rice pudding on a cub camp in Whitby circa 1972 but that's about it for me.

Isn't there a bit of a classic debate about the size of Wagon Wheels (could be a different choccy bar) where people are convinced they are smaller when they aren't. Theories abound about the relative size of it compared to the size of your hand when you were a kid, or just seeing the past through rose tinted glasses? Maybe that could apply to pies too.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:15   #43

Hollands went downhill after the takeover. And when they discovered the best way to improve profit margins on the meat and potato pies was to not bother putting any meat in.

Make the shift to steak puddings. It'll change your life.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It does not officially accy though- Baxenden.
Aye...but I regard Bash as merely a fancy suburb of Acc.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:03   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Aye...but I regard Bash as merely a fancy suburb of Acc.
Does it not come under Rossendale?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..