Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2017, 20:43   #1
I am Banned

Review on our pies

Pierate - Pie Reviews: Football Pie: Accrington Stanley

Not bad still can't believe we only had 1 kiosk selling pies
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2017, 20:51   #2
God Member

Re: Review on our pies

Blimey, it's not just Somerset whose 'interest' in football verges on OCD.
baldy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 21:23   #3

Yeah, there's no hope for the kid that wrote that review.
Also, if that is a picture of a holland's peppered steak pie then i'm not a member of the aristocracy. Peppered steak pies are flaccid, gooey affairs. His looks more like it's filled with dried out pedigree chum.
Plus, they are inedible - but maybe some uncouth southern loony would not notice that.
winstanley asfc likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 21:48   #4
Super Moderator

The strange, stilted writing style...the obsessive attention to detail...the way he goes on and on...and on. It must be his cousin!
Old 01-03-2017, 21:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Pierate - Pie Reviews: Football Pie: Accrington Stanley

Not bad still can't believe we only had 1 kiosk selling pies
What a hoot! Where do you find this stuff st06nc2?
After the home game with Carlisle, I paid a visit to their fans forum to get a view of their response to the game.
Apparently, one CUFC fan had promised his mates they were in for a treat as you could get a pie & pint for a fiver at the Wham.
You can imagine their anger to find that this bargain 'meal deal' was only available to home fans.
Their description of the catering facilities for away fans cannot be repeated on here. Save to say that there were no pies on offer, just an overpriced burger & a can of beer that cost £3.
Surely it's time for the club to give priority to providing better facilities for away fans, as articles like this just reinforces the view of visiting fans that our ground is a right s***hole.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 23:03   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
What a hoot! Where do you find this stuff st06nc2?
After the home game with Carlisle, I paid a visit to their fans forum to get a view of their response to the game.
Apparently, one CUFC fan had promised his mates they were in for a treat as you could get a pie & pint for a fiver at the Wham.
You can imagine their anger to find that this bargain 'meal deal' was only available to home fans.
Their description of the catering facilities for away fans cannot be repeated on here. Save to say that there were no pies on offer, just an overpriced burger & a can of beer that cost £3.
Surely it's time for the club to give priority to providing better facilities for away fans, as articles like this just reinforces the view of visiting fans that our ground is a right s***hole.
After reading the article, what is with the catering van on the away end charging higher prices than that on the home end. I also remember the previous catering vans had pies for sale and there were also the pies in the clubhouse, so how come only 1 now? One for the club I think

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!

Last edited by Outback Ozzy; 01-03-2017 at 23:04. Reason: spelling
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:34   #7
I am Banned

Was the one kiosk selling pies because it was a Tuesday night? Or was it a certain someone's visit to the wham enough to scare them into only selling in the home end
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 17:25   #8

Maybe my offal devouring Northern palate isn't as refined as some...but the peppered steak need to stay. �� Unless of course Clayton Park or the Mecca of pies that is Cissy Green's stepped into the breach.
cashman likes this.
Old 02-03-2017, 20:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Maybe my offal devouring Northern palate isn't as refined as some...but the peppered steak need to stay. �� Unless of course Clayton Park or the Mecca of pies that is Cissy Green's stepped into the breach.
Chipmunk old boy!
Without doubt the vendors you mention produce a toothsome product.
The Cissy Green's meat pie is famous locally, although a little overpriced considering it's gone after one bite.
Having savoured many a pie on my travels, I have confidence in stating that the best steak pie available within the county is produced by D T Laws in Haslingden (also the home of Cissy Greens). No offal or gristle here, just quality braised steak wrapped up in a crisp shortcrust shell.
For meat & potato, Alpes the butchers in Clitheroe is unsurpassed, as it contains actual meat as well as potato. Totally delicious!
I can assure pie aficionados they will not be disappointed if they sample said pies when next in the area.
Old 02-03-2017, 20:21   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Laws Pies are sold at our chippy along with Hollands a bit dearer but well worth it in my view.
Old 02-03-2017, 21:51   #11
Super Moderator

Never heard of D. T. Laws pies. Are there any purveyors of these comestibles in the town centre?
Old 02-03-2017, 21:54   #12
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Chipmunk old boy!
Without doubt the vendors you mention produce a toothsome product.
The Cissy Green's meat pie is famous locally, although a little overpriced considering it's gone after one bite.
Having savoured many a pie on my travels, I have confidence in stating that the best steak pie available within the county is produced by D T Laws in Haslingden (also the home of Cissy Greens). No offal or gristle here, just quality braised steak wrapped up in a crisp shortcrust shell.
For meat & potato, Alpes the butchers in Clitheroe is unsurpassed, as it contains actual meat as well as potato. Totally delicious!
I can assure pie aficionados they will not be disappointed if they sample said pies when next in the area.
You need to try the home made giant sausage roll's as well I live a couple a hundred yards from the shop
Old 03-03-2017, 09:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
You need to try the home made giant sausage roll's as well I live a couple a hundred yards from the shop
Best sausage rolls ever!
They're so big that last time I tried one, I never ate for 2 days!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Never heard of D. T. Laws pies. Are there any purveyors of these comestibles in the town centre?
Not that I'm aware of Wyn.
But they are on the right, just before the town centre traffic lights, as you enter from Accrington.
Well worth a visit if you're ever passing - or if you're really hungry!
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:52   #15
Full Member+

I used to like Cissey greens pies, However they have shot up in orice and down in size. Hollands are good. I do think £2.50 for a pie is a bit OTT for this area. I am aware they offer a meal deal for a Fiver. I was unaware that away fans were not allowed to buy this deal. If this is true then it is a disgrace.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..