Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2017, 15:36   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Right winger

I was thinking the same - who is this midfield maestro ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2017, 21:38   #32

Can't believe Sean is still debated so much. Outside of the back four he has arguably been our best and most consistent player this season.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Can't believe Sean is still debated so much. Outside of the back four he has arguably been our best and most consistent player this season.
thats why we,re in a relagation scrap.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:06   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Piero, Jon O sullivan, were out on their own and had to go way out of position to get the ball.
I suspect a bit of selective memory here, Chrisr, especially relating to Piero. His link play with Brad Halliday on the right wing was excellent. As the season progressed, Halliday had the confidence to overlap more and more and the crosses came from him as well as Piero.

Quote:
How often do you see a long wide pass to the wingers.
Very rarely. Because our players, like most in League 2, do not have the skills of Jordan Henderson, Cesc Fabregas, Yaya Toure etc. The sort of pass you seem to favour has only a limited chance of success at our level; more often than not we would be giving the ball to the opposition either directly or via a throw-in.

What continues to mystify me is the bunching at one side or the other when a goal kick is being taken. If the keeper takes it from the left side of the goal area, there are usually 20 players in a confined area to the left side of the pitch. I cannot understand why a right winger does not stay out wide right. This is not just about Stanley - all teams seem to do it. Perhaps someone with a coaching badge could explain.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 19:24   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Where has Jonno gone?
.......This sounds a bit like the title of an early Sixties 'One hit' chart topper by an out of work singer trying to break into the big time!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 20:25   #36
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I suspect a bit of selective memory here, Chrisr, especially relating to Piero. His link play with Brad Halliday on the right wing was excellent. As the season progressed, Halliday had the confidence to overlap more and more and the crosses came from him as well as Piero.

Very rarely. Because our players, like most in League 2, do not have the skills of Jordan Henderson, Cesc Fabregas, Yaya Toure etc. The sort of pass you seem to favour has only a limited chance of success at our level; more often than not we would be giving the ball to the opposition either directly or via a throw-in.

What continues to mystify me is the bunching at one side or the other when a goal kick is being taken. If the keeper takes it from the left side of the goal area, there are usually 20 players in a confined area to the left side of the pitch. I cannot understand why a right winger does not stay out wide right. This is not just about Stanley - all teams seem to do it. Perhaps someone with a coaching badge could explain.
I think the selective memory is on your side RR if you watched Donacien with the centre midfielders we had on loan we were spreading the game wide. Donacien put several top quality balls into the box. I said he would be better played out on the right up front. I think I was right on that one. Piero did link up with Brad Halliday while he was here for a while. I was accused of saying Edwards was a fast player when people have suggested I hadn't seen him, I think I got that one right as well. As for the type of crosses I suggested did have the desired effect against a strong Notts County side. You have contradicted yourself when you said they keep bunching on the left. You then asked why we did not have a right winger out wide right. Err we did, piero and latterly Jon o'Sullivan it was common talk on our side that the players on the left side never looked up and made the wide pass we were making yesterday. You can't have it always. Yesterday's tactical play changes by players on loan from a higher level showed us the way. We have all been saying it long enough. I hope Coley continues and learns from this win. It was deserved. I think Billy kee was shell shocked for a while at the amount of decent quality balls he was served with. If this continues he will be banging the goals in again quickly. The next few weeks look promising and I hope if all goes well we can keep a few of the loan signings.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:20   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
You have contradicted yourself when you said they keep bunching on the left. You then asked why we did not have a right winger out wide right. Err we did, piero and latterly Jon o'Sullivan it was common talk on our side that the players on the left side never looked up and made the wide pass we were making yesterday.
You have totally misunderstood my point - because you did not read what I actually wrote. I never said "they keep bunching on the left" - please do not misquote me.

I was talking generically about goal kicks. It is irrelevant which side of the goal area the kick is taken from; I happened to quote the left side as an example. Watch any team - Stanley or Chelsea. If it is taken from the right, the players bunch on the right with the left winger probably no further left than the centre spot. If it is taken from the left, they bunch on the left with the right winger near the centre spot. Sorry that you misunderstood.

Last edited by Revived Red; 06-02-2017 at 07:23.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09   #38
God Member

RR, you're not the only one who's noticed that, but it's been going on for some time.
It used to amuse me watching little kids' games on Highams' where all 20 outfield players would run around the pitch like a swarm of bees, with the ball in the middle, never being kicked more than five yards. That was because those tots couldn't kick the ball further than five yards.
But why it always happens in the professional game is a puzzle. Maybe the fact you note that teams like Chelsea do it is the reason they all do it?
I've often thought that, if a team practiced it, the keeper could slice or shank his kick into the empty space in the opposite side of the pitch and the corresponding winger would know to run into that space, leaving his defender still in the wrong half of the pitch.

There's a similar puzzle with defending corners. If all 11 players defend, the attackers will leave one player on the half way line, giving the defenders a numerical advantage in their penalty area of 2. But if the defenders leave one forward on the half-way line, the team taking the corner will mark him with two players. Giving the defenders a numerical advantage of....2. Leave two on the half-way line and there'll be at least three of the 'attacking' team kept back to mark them. Leaving those defending the corner with a numerical advantage of....2.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42   #39
God Member

There's a similar puzzle with defending corners. If all 11 players defend, the attackers will leave one player on the half way line, giving the defenders a numerical advantage in their penalty area of 2. But if the defenders leave one forward on the half-way line, the team taking the corner will mark him with two players. Giving the defenders a numerical advantage of....2. Leave two on the half-way line and there'll be at least three of the 'attacking' team kept back to mark them. Leaving those defending the corner with a numerical advantage of....2.[/QUOTE]

totally agree exile. can,t see the point of getting everyone back especially the ones that can,t defend, seen a couple of times in the last 12 months where non defending players have got in the way of a defender and caused an opposition goal.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:17   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
There's a similar puzzle with defending corners. If all 11 players defend, the attackers will leave one player on the half way line, giving the defenders a numerical advantage in their penalty area of 2. But if the defenders leave one forward on the half-way line, the team taking the corner will mark him with two players. Giving the defenders a numerical advantage of....2. Leave two on the half-way line and there'll be at least three of the 'attacking' team kept back to mark them. Leaving those defending the corner with a numerical advantage of....2.
totally agree exile. can,t see the point of getting everyone back especially the ones that can,t defend, seen a couple of times in the last 12 months where non defending players have got in the way of a defender and caused an opposition goal.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm....
I'm thinking silly now.....

When we are defending a corner then we should put nine or even all ten of our outfield players up on the half way line so our opponents will have to pull all of their players back too! When our keeper catches the ball, (hopefully!) from the corner unchallenged we will be back in possession and we will never ever concede a goal from a corner again!
.....Simples
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32   #41
Senior Member+

Eeeeeh....
...funny in'tit...
When I were a lad I often played as a 'Right Winger' but now that I am officially an 'Owd Codger', (......turned 65 last Friday)........like a lot of us posters on 'ere, I think that I have just become another "RIGHT WHINGER!"
Old 06-02-2017, 14:12   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
can,t see the point of getting everyone back especially the ones that can,t defend, seen a couple of times in the last 12 months where non defending players have got in the way of a defender and caused an opposition goal.
Or even go one better and score an own goal, Darren Bent style
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 06-02-2017, 14:55   #43
God Member

Whilst we've drifted onto corners and defending/attacking them, a few years back I went to watch Stanley Youth squad play at Reading. The latter were, to a man (and man, rather than boy, was more apt for their team) about a foot taller and two stones heavier than the lads in red.
Stanley won a corner and, rather than do the usual, the entire Stanley attack lined up outside the penalty area. This left the big Reading defenders standing on their own in the six yard box, somewhat confused as to how to mark someone who wasn't there.
As the corner came in, the Stanley lads charged like the Light Brigade into the valley of death. Unfortunately, on this occasion, they too lost out to the big guns of the defenders. But I thought it was a brilliant bit of improvisation to nullify the opposition's physical superiority.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:28   #44
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
You have totally misunderstood my point - because you did not read what I actually wrote. I never said "they keep bunching on the left" - please do not misquote me.

I was talking generically about goal kicks. It is irrelevant which side of the goal area the kick is taken from; I happened to quote the left side as an example. Watch any team - Stanley or Chelsea. If it is taken from the right, the players bunch on the right with the left winger probably no further left than the centre spot. If it is taken from the left, they bunch on the left with the right winger near the centre spot. Sorry that you misunderstood.
I accept I may have misquoted you. It was down to the bunching on one side. The Goal kicking needs a bit more practice as does his distribution. There has been some fair observations on our game play for a while. But there are genuine options available to us. It is up to the Management to up their game to the standards the loan players have brought. It is obvious they play with a lot more confidence and knowledge. Like many on here I could never understand having 11 men defending as once the ball is kicked out there is only one place it is going back to. Anyway it looked good, Portsmouth will be a good challenge, 3 points from them and we will be on our way.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:59   #45
God Member

Stanley won a corner and, rather than do the usual, the entire Stanley attack lined up outside the penalty area. This left the big Reading defenders standing on their own in the six yard box, somewhat confused as to how to mark someone who wasn't there.
As the corner came in, the Stanley lads charged like the Light Brigade into the valley of death. Unfortunately, on this occasion, they too lost out to the big guns of the defenders. But I thought it was a brilliant bit of improvisation to nullify the opposition's physical superiority.[/QUOTE]

saw the same thing myself years ago. it was vs rugby v leyton orient in a fa cup game. the rugby side did the same thing and scored through it as you said the opposition didn,t know how to cope with it. everything now is all much of a muchness. if one top side do it all the rest follow. remember england winning the world cup without wingers and quickly football league sides copied it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..