Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2013, 08:56   #181
Full Member+

Re: Rob heys

Where do I send my CV?

cashman likes this.
Old 20-08-2013, 11:01   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianray View Post
Well we have one director who lives in HONG KONG how can he be of any use except financialy
I know what you mean - it's a shame there is no way to communicate other than face to face....
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 12:39   #183
God Member

Well done to the Chairman. I asked for some action and he's done as best he can in the circumstances.
By the way, whatever the rights and wrongs, don't underestimate the damage bad news like this can do to the club's reputation. Just had a friend email the latest communication from the North-West Business Adviser, which made it their top story.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 12:40   #184

Quote:
Well we have one director who lives in HONG KONG how can he be of any use except financialy
Don't know him in HONG KONG though any financial support would be welcome I'm sure.

Travelling WEST rather than EAST would take you to the director in BRAZIL!
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 13:44   #185
I am Banned

So players and staff arnt aloud to bet yet the league is sponsored by a betting company, in my eyes thats a bit contradictive
DAV007 likes this.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 13:47   #186
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
So players and staff arnt aloud to bet yet the league is sponsored by a betting company, in my eyes thats a bit contradictive
It is everyones aware of that, but its the rules, so yeh gotta abide by em.
Old 20-08-2013, 16:55   #187
Senior Member+

Just got back off my holiday on Monday. I have not seen a newspaper, watched the news on a TV or listened to anything on the radio for a while. So when I read news of this on Teletext I was totally dumbfounded and profoundly shocked!!!
I have taken the time to read ALL the responses on this post and once the full details emerged many sensible points and observations have been made, (particularly #170 by Jegred).

There could be a separate discussion about the moral issues regarding betting in general and paricularly betting in football but I will try to leave that broader issue alone in my response here.

Some have expressesed unbelief that a CEO could bet at all when he clearly knows the rules and some posters have commented on Rob being a good bloke and having the RED blood of Stanley in his viens like most of us supporters.
In the early days, long before he was CEO, perhaps he may have been unaware that he should not have been having a small flutter now and then but once he grew into a more senior standing in the club and then as CEO he should have had the strength to simply put a stop to it.
However, in thirteen pages of posts nobody has commented on the true nature of "betting" and the way that it can take a real hold on a persons life. It seems to me that gambling/betting is an addiction, and could be classsified as a kind of sickness, which once allowed into a persons life could be as difficult to break out of as smoking or doing drugs. (Incidentally, I have never done any of these three things so I could be talking very naively and in blissful ignorance.)
I have spoken with Rob on a few occasions, when ordering seson tickets etc in the office, and I too always found him to be a very pleasant chap. I suppose that I am trying to make the point that although he deserves to lose his job, be fined and have some sort of suspension, but also that we should try hard to show some undestanding with Rob about his need to gamble but also show some empathy regarding his family situation now that he is out of a job. I sincerely hope that Rob can sort himself out positively, and whilst he may have succumbed to a weakness, I would also like to thank him for his hard work at Stanley and wish him well for the future.

Now we have to begin again..... after a another disappointing chapter in our history.
Peter Marsden has done exactly the right thing in making an early statement and in calling the supporters to rally again and get 100% behind James Beattie and the team.

ON STANEY ON
Redraine likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 20-08-2013 at 17:00.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:05   #188
Full Member+

Bon Voyage

Last edited by madkev; 20-08-2013 at 17:11.
madkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:31   #189
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ive just read PETER MARSDEN statement re ROB HEYS but sometimes i wonder how can we have a chairman and directors who live a million miles away from ACCRINGTON surely a chairman should be within a few miles of the club to oversee clubs daily problems . I know we have 3 directors who live local and visit the club daily BILL HOLDEN , JEFF HEAP and PETER SHAW there may be more CAN ANYONE publish a list of our directors and where they live. I'd love to know.
It doesn't mater where they live, we live in the 21st century with good communication systems, decisions can be made, relayed, etc.

My friend runs a business in Australia, he lives in the UK.
It works fine - he has 2 daily conference calls with his core staff.

No reason why Stanley should be any different, if anything it should be easier .
cashman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:54   #190
God Member

Agree, Davo, it's the quality and commitment of the directors, not their home address, that's important at times like this.
DAV007 likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:00   #191
Senior Member+

They are in a unique position exile on spencer st, the person they appointed to run the club day to day has 'let them down' or words to that affect.

Im sure all the directors are in communication away from the media outlets ears, and that's exactly how it should be.

They have released an initial statement, I suppose its reasonable to expect a follow up statement by the end of the week?
Old 20-08-2013, 19:03   #192
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
All bans/punishments should be harsh. Not only to have a punitive effect on the guilty but to act as a deterrent to others. Simple.
Draco may have thought that but now we prefer them to be proportionate in a fairer society. Otherwise we could have 2 year bans for doing 31 mph in a 30 zone.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:28   #193
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Draco may have thought that but now we prefer them to be proportionate in a fairer society. Otherwise we could have 2 year bans for doing 31 mph in a 30 zone.
What a load of cobblers.
Old 20-08-2013, 20:15   #194
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
All bans/punishments should be harsh. Not only to have a punitive effect on the guilty but to act as a deterrent to others. Simple.
but thousands of years of history show us that hard deterrents don't work.
See America and its move to longer harder prison sentences.
Some crime in particular murder and rape continue to rise along with the prison population but they fail to deal with the real issues at hand as to why the crime is occurring or why the rule breaking is occurring.

Giving Rob a large ban wont really matter to the bloke, his reputation has been damaged, it would be fair to assume he wont likely work in football again, Stanley's reputation has been dealt a blow - do you really think a harder deterrent would have made a blind bit of difference in this instance or any others?

In this instance, education is the answer.
Old 21-08-2013, 01:26   #195
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
In this instance, education is the answer.
To quote from Rob's lengthy statement "
The FA betting rules have changed several times over the years and as a result of some of those changes I have unwittingly broken the regulations.

As a senior officer/executive it was incumbent on him to be fully conversant with the rules and regulations at all times. if there was confusion for him he should have sought advice. Indeed DAV007 education comes into it, self education.
Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law.
Rob uses the word "unwittingly" instead of ignorant, well I have read the rules of the FA on betting they are crystal clear to me.

And I'll tell you this for nothing, the man is still gambling in my book by going to appeal or should I say hedging his bets??

Last edited by DtheP47; 21-08-2013 at 01:28.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..