Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2013, 07:27   #1
Resting in Peace

Stanley in post war FA cup

Just came across this in David Kynaston's book "A World To Build" about post war austerity 1945-1948:-
"The FA Cup took place in 1945-6 on a two leg basis. Less than glamorous Accrington Stanley found themselves pitted in the third round against Manchester United, with the first leg at Peel Park. Two down at half time, Stanley then, "in as plucky a come-back I have ever seen" (in the words of local reporter "Jason"), drew level with two minutes to go to the accompaniment of an almost hysterical roar of triumph from the crowd". Predictably, United won the return 5-1 -but "the game might have taken on a different aspect if two cruel pieces of ill-fortune had not come Stanley's way". Three rounds later there was a disaster at Bolton's Burnden Park when 33 spectators were crushed to death."

I wonder what the 2 pieces of ill-fortune were. Any octogenarians out there with good memories?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2013, 08:15   #2
God Member

Re: Stanley in post war FA cup

only guessing Mick, but we had two players that day, Mauchline and Lythgoe, who had played in previous games leading up to the United ties, Mauchline never played for us again and Lythgoe didn't play again for a few weeks. Maybe injury scuppered us?
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 08:30   #3

Only thing I can find is that 1st goal was an OG.

About Man Utd | Manchester United vs Accrington Stanley - 9 Jan 1946
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:33   #4
God Member

Why was it played at Maine Rd-was Old Trafford bombed?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:35   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
If not, it shoulda been.
Kiwi John likes this.
Old 19-07-2013, 11:02   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John
It was, they didn't start playing back at Old Trafford until 1949.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
If not, it shoulda been.
You've been associating with jaysay too much. It was some dozy German heading for Deadwood, pressed his bomb release button too early.
Barrie Yates likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 11:13   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If not, it shoulda been.
Don't worry, Cashy. It was hit twice in one night:
About Man Utd | The Old Trafford story

I don't suppose it was Bert Trautmann, though.

Last edited by MikeA; 19-07-2013 at 11:15.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 12:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
only guessing Mick, but we had two players that day, Mauchline and Lythgoe, who had played in previous games leading up to the United ties, Mauchline never played for us again and Lythgoe didn't play again for a few weeks. Maybe injury scuppered us?
During that period after the war Stanley had a lot of guest players so the team only consisted of players that were available. My husband remembers Eddie Mauchline but seems to think he was a guest player. the team that played together most around that time was Holdcroft Reeday, Wilson, Molloy Briggs(capt) Malcolm, Conroy Rothwell, Mercer Keeley and Clarke
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:46   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
It was, they didn't start playing back at Old Trafford until 1949.

You've been associating with jaysay too much. It was some dozy German heading for Deadwood, pressed his bomb release button too early.
tick tock the clocks ticking
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 20:36   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
During that period after the war Stanley had a lot of guest players so the team only consisted of players that were available. My husband remembers Eddie Mauchline but seems to think he was a guest player. the team that played together most around that time was Holdcroft Reeday, Wilson, Molloy Briggs(capt) Malcolm, Conroy Rothwell, Mercer Keeley and Clarke
Walter Keeley was playing when I first saw t'Stanley c 1950

I suggest a visit to the library to look at the old Observers - they will reveal what the tragedies were.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 20:39   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Walter Keeley was playing when I first saw t'Stanley c 1950

I suggest a visit to the library to look at the old Observers - they will reveal what the tragedies were.
Be difficult Bob, shes in Perth.
Old 23-07-2013, 05:06   #12
Senior Member+

Irene does, but Redraine lives in Clayton.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 06:33   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I know but as yeh quoted Irene n me not being a mind reader.
Old 23-07-2013, 06:52   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
OK. I try to avoid going into Accy these days because of all the empty shops, but will have a look and report back.
Old 30-07-2013, 14:13   #15
Resting in Peace

Mystery solved. After a session on the microfiche records of old Accy Observers, I can reveal that WHALLEY(!) is to blame for the cruel bad luck. After holding their own for most of the first half and equalising to make it 1-1, Stanley took a "magnificent" corner which all in the ground bar the ref and liner saw that the afore-mentioned defender clearly handled in the area. After consulting the linesman the ref gave a corner from which United gained possession and sped upfield. The winger put in a high cross which looked like it was going out of play, but our goalie tried to grab it and only succeeded in gifting it to a United forward who slammed it into the net. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
I make that only 1 and a half pieces of cruel misfortune, not 2 as reported.
Interestingly enough Stanley played Barrow at Holker Street the following Saturday and came away winners by 0-5!
I also see that Newport beat Aston Villa 5-2 last Sunday! Villa only played a "development squad", but still.........

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..