Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2013, 09:49   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Rob heys

Yeh happen need some new glasses then Rob?
Redraine likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:05   #122

I've known Rob for a long time, he was in the same scout group I was in and even became a cub leader after a while. He only had to stop doing that when he was getting more involved in the Stanley.

I think he's been daft to put these bets on given the rules. I think the whole episode is sad and I feel for Rob. He's a lovely bloke.

I do think, whatever your views of this particular case, that we should think about the wider context of our game. As Loweiy mentioned, the football league is sponsored by Sky Bet. Adverts during the games that are on the TV push betting hard. I'm only 27, but I'm sure placing bets a while back was more or less only possible if you went into the bookies, filled out a slip and handed over your cash. You were aware of what you were betting because the money literally left your pocket, went into the till in Ladbrokes and very rarely returned. These days you can bet during the game, at the touch of your smartphone. You have an account with them, so it doesn't feel like you're losing money.

The football league take all this money from sky bet, the proceeds of bets from lots of blokes who, lets be honest can't afford it, yet ticket prices are still high and loads of clubs are on the verge of going under.

We have clubs who are now sponsored by Wonga and Cashconverters. I would hazard a guess that there are many lads who have placed too many bets with Skybet, and are now skint 2 weeks before pay day. Most likely they probably have to take out a pay day loan to cover their bills and to eat. Yet, the clubs these legal loan sharks and betting companies sponsor still keep ticket prices sky high and pay their players eye wateringly high wages. Football is meant to be OUR game, yet I think its not for up for debate who the real winners are out of this sorry state of affairs.

Now I know you might say that this isn't our problem, we are a lower league-side, the problem of high wages, dodgy sponsors and greedy owners is a Premier League problem. But the strength of football in England is the football league. There is a team [and for most people a few teams] for everyone and in more or less every town. We have a cup competition that is the envy of the world, any side in the pyramid with a bit of luck and good fortune can compete with some of the best sides in the country and Europe.

So whilst Rob has made a massive error doing this, I think the people we really need to point the finger at are the betting companies, the administrators, and the greedy corrupt people who run our game. Not a bloke who has made a series of stupid mistakes betting a fiver at a time on daft accumulators, when in all honesty he probably wishes he hadn't p!ssed two grand up the wall.
Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:07   #123
Resting in Peace

Brilliant post, Potter!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:15   #124
Senior Member+

How many more times can our club get dragged through the mud????

Im absolutely sick to the back teeth of it. The BBC short film thing was brilliant in showing everything good around the club, then this.

We need a clean slate behind the scenes, its as simple as that.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:29   #125
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I know quite a few lovely blokes that go up Stanley, Are they fit to be in charge of the club? Are they hell as like.
Bagpuss likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:31   #126
Resting in Peace

The most mind boggling aspect of Rob's statement is that the 735 bets are only a small proportion of his total bets on all subjects. He obviously has a terrible addiction and doesn't just enjoy the occasional flutter. How the club has not immediately distanced itself from this awful state of affairs beggars belief. A quick trawl through our rival clubs' message boards is highly embarrassing, a typical sample being the Dale forum where we are described as "the pub team of the football league". I hate them for it but you can see where they are coming from. I feel desperately sorry for JB in having to deal with this and other off-field matters, in addition to trying to get our season off the ground.
AccyMad, sparkie and caretaker like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:39   #127

Cashman - I'm not stupid. I do understand that 'lovely blokes' in all jobs might not be the best person for the role. I was just trying to provoke a bit of a discussion about the wider context of this particular episode.

But can understand if you're not interested and would just like to talk about the specifics in black and white terms.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:40   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Most mind boggling to me is cos Rob used to stand on the terrace, cos hes a good egg, Got the club at heart, All this embarrassment is overlooked by some. Instead of looking for excuses,looking for the solution should be first on the agenda.
Bagpuss, AccyMad and jaysay like this.

Last edited by cashman; 19-08-2013 at 10:45.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:44   #129
Full Member+

Is it time to dig out my"Save Our Accrington Stanley" t-shirt?
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:47   #130

Cashman, Is that passive aggressive response aimed at me?

Its pretty obvious he has broken the rules and will have to pay the consequences.

But it is possible to think that and, at the same time, have a discussion about how this kind of thing isn't a surprise when betting is pushed massively by people and businesses who, I think, are exploiting the loyalty of the average football fan.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:51   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
Cashman, Is that passive aggressive response aimed at me?

Its pretty obvious he has broken the rules and will have to pay the consequences.

But it is possible to think that and, at the same time, have a discussion about how this kind of thing isn't a surprise when betting is pushed massively by people and businesses who, I think, are exploiting the loyalty of the average football fan.
No its my honest opinion, well aware the betting is pushed big time by various channels, That aint our issue its every clubs. personally i think its immoral, but that has sod all to do wi this issue. in fact its deflecting it, would suggest needs a thread of its own.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:59   #132

If I had blown two or three grand on bets over the last few years and it was all over the news, it wouldn't be the FA I'd be concerned about!
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:59   #133
God Member

First post on here for some time after a much needed break.
As a fan of the club I think there are quite a few aspects of this unfortunate issue to consider.
The field in which I work is one that demands professional responsibility and accountability. Those in positions of power ought to realise that their conduct is scrutinised closely because of the duties they hold. A managing director of a company ought to know how he/she can/cannot act in their personal lives; how personal indulgences can affect their employer’s credibility. However in this situation there are fewer parallels to draw with Corporate Company X than may first be perceived.
Accrington Stanley Football Club, for better or worse, walks the thin line between professional football club and accessible, nostalgic, grass roots, warts & all reality of a local club – a ‘proper club’ for purists and self-masochists alike. If not for this precarious duality, the club would not be in the Football League. The appeal would never have been present for Eric Whalley to invest a large part of his life into propelling the club up the leagues, nor would the necessary spirit have been created by John Coleman and Jimmy Bell if this was ‘just another club’.
For this reason, the same expectations for Managing Director of Corporate Company X cannot possibly be expected of Rob Heys who in his part has contributed to the overall appeal of the Football Club.
My initial reaction to the charges was pure disappointment – that our club’s name would be made a mockery yet again by our peers because of the carelessness of one of our own. After reading Rob’s statement, my opinion is that his mistakes were professionally careless, irresponsible and needless, but without one single iota of menace. I refute that his bets against the team were born out of any ill-will and more part of a normal Accrington bloke having a quick & dirty punt. There are many more on our terraces and stands who have done so and continue to do the same. Whatever your personal morals, you’d have to do a lot of tar and feathering to get through them all.
That said, the responsibility of a Managing Director in whatever position does not leave Rob. His mistakes have invariably brought shame upon the club and he will be judged for that by his maker. Whether this is the end for Rob’s association with Accrington Stanley I’d find it hard to dictate. This is a man with a livelihood, not a Premier League CEO who can go back to his holding company with his tail between his legs and a seven-figure pay-cheque.
Whatever happens in his own role, I personally believe that the punishment is unprecedented (see Cameron Jerome’s meagre fine) and unfairly harsh. The length of ban handed out doesn’t seem to add up when measured against others and for that reason I hope Rob’s appeal is considered fairly.
Lastly I believe it is unbecoming for fans of a club such as ours to tear apart one of our own. As Rob says, the Stanley family shows its real strength in times of struggle.
Just my opinion.
Chimer, Redash and fc:stanley like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:09   #134
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thats a very good post Shaker, Cameron Jerome from what i can gather did not back against his own club n that to me is the difference, i don't think fer a min that rob wanted stanley to lose, but he was number 1 n to me supposed to be aware, A footballer by comparison is supposed to be a numpty, not the case i know, but that seems to be the viewpoint.
smobile likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 11:26   #135

Smile Re: Rob heys

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
perhaps he should have bitten someone, or called someone a nigger perhaps? he'd have been out by now.

Maybe he could have hurdled an advertising board and karate kicked one of our gobbier fans instead, he'd be free to trade in half the time.

By no means do I condone what he's done but that's more to do with betting against Stanley on occasions. That part of it is between him and the club and the fans and not The Sweet FA.

His statement says that he hasn't bet on the club for over three years so his position as MD has not been compromised in my eyes.
As much as usually like your posts SORRY CAN'T AGREE WITH THE LAST 2 LINES OF THE POST ABOVE . But only my opinion
cashman likes this.
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..