Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27   #211
K-P

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
do we want somebody who thinks were gonna lose against opponents with equal ability playing for us. I don't!!!
100% agree.. its not the amount bet. its the thought process behind it.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55   #212
Senior Member+

Accrington Stanley bets probe: £281,000 wagered on game at one bookies (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Money the root of all evil

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 13:38   #213
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
He says that Cav told him he can not remember putting the bet on! And the Betting shops did not pay out anyway it said in the LET yesterday because they had to inform the FA
yes he does,but it don't say bookies did not pay out. he also says its diabolical that peter can be dragged through this fer a £5 bet. well sorry this is letting friendship over-ride common sense,NO player fer any club should bet against his own team, its that simple, as well as being insulting to all that have paid good money to support them. i am not that naive as to think ANY player would not remember wether he bet against his own team.
Old 09-04-2009, 13:41   #214
Senior Member+

If it's true that Bury were 5-1 to beat us in that game, then I'm not surprised that people were betting against us. I'm just mad that I missed out!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 13:54   #215
Senior Member+

From LET
Accrington Stanley bets probe: £281,000 wagered on game at one bookies (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Many of the odds started at 11/5 for a Bury win and money was still coming in when this changed to 10/11

Accrington Stanley bets probe: Suspicion grew before Bury game (From Lancashire Telegraph)

....But bookmakers refused to pay out on bets and a full investigation was launched by the FA.

Accrington Stanley players in match bets probe (From Lancashire Telegraph)

The betting odds at the time of the match were 2/1 for a Bury away win which would have doubled the money of anyone who placed a bet.

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 14:11   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cheers fer links MCR, aint got yesterdays LET. payed out or not though is totally irrelevant,just detracts from the issue.
Old 09-04-2009, 14:13   #217

Even though I don't personally gamble our home form last season made 5/1 for a Bury win a good bet. Did any regular supporters bet against Stanley I doubt it.
While having played the game and managed I really cant see Rocky or Cav having thrown any games.
It seems to me like the gambling culture within the players + at the club as finally come home, pure foolish greed.
Not sure if they could be suspended as the PFA is a very strong union, but
in the interest of the club and this great game that we all love surely it would be better for them not to play.
As for the £5 that Cav is alleged to have bet making it trivial, how does the amount matter, only a fool could make a statement like that. the principle is what matters. They have let down the Club and all who support it.
Long time red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 14:15   #218

I've been thinking today- How would I view matters if I was a prospective purchaser ? It is not a happy thought !
slerpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 14:41   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
The betting odds at the time of the match were 2/1 for a Bury away win which would have doubled the money of anyone who placed a bet.

2/1 would mean trebling your money, Evens to double it.

£5 or no £5 it's the principle of the matter. And remember that's £5 what we know of, whose to say he wasn't getting a piece of somebody elses pie.
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 15:39   #220

Jimmy Bell is foolishly trying to protect Cav. What does it matter if the bet was £5 or 5p he should still have anough integrity not to bet against his own Club losing, this action does'nt bring out a feeling of loyalty to his wage paying employers. Jimmy you are misguided in what you are saying. The fans are extremely upset by these revelations, and rightly so. No one is saying Cav was match fixing, but to bet on your own team getting beat, especially if he was playing is highly suspect. I hope your comments don't return to bite you.

Last edited by Tommy McQueen; 09-04-2009 at 15:41. Reason: miss print
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:02   #221
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy McQueen View Post
Jimmy Bell is foolishly trying to protect Cav. What does it matter if the bet was £5 or 5p he should still have anough integrity not to bet against his own Club losing, this action does'nt bring out a feeling of loyalty to his wage paying employers. Jimmy you are misguided in what you are saying. The fans are extremely upset by these revelations, and rightly so. No one is saying Cav was match fixing, but to bet on your own team getting beat, especially if he was playing is highly suspect. I hope your comments don't return to bite you.
Does anyone have a link to the quote in the LET?

Is JB speaking on behalf of the club?

Does this mean that the "no further comment" statement on the fishy site no longer applies?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:14   #222
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red
Does anyone have a link to the quote in the LET?
The Jimmy Bell column (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:33   #223
Senior Member+

What a foolish man our esteemed assistant is. You cannot defend the alleged indefensible. As a player you are not allowed to bet on any football games in the Football League, regardless of whether they can sway the outcome or not. I notice, as well, he has either forgotten or just not bothered to mention the alleged bets Cavanagh has placed this season. Curious. Sorry Jimmy but this is the second time you have boobed in the press this season (remember the Luton debacle earlier this season) time to put a gagging order on you from the board of the club.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:39   #224
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
What a foolish man our esteemed assistant is. You cannot defend the alleged indefensible. As a player you are not allowed to bet on any football games in the Football League, regardless of whether they can sway the outcome or not. I notice, as well, he has either forgotten or just not bothered to mention the alleged bets Cavanagh has placed this season. Curious. Sorry Jimmy but this is the second time you have boobed in the press this season (remember the Luton debacle earlier this season) time to put a gagging order on you from the board of the club.
Right or wrong, I like him to speak from the heart...... He could have come out with some wishy washy phsycho babble policitally correect mumbo jumbo like so many in football.... we think he is wrong but Jimmy? he is just sticking up for a guy he has worked with on a daily basis for most of his managerial career......

he's wrong but he is saying what he thinks

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 16:58   #225

What Jimmy said was a non-league statement, from a "league" club.

That kind of unproffessionalism doesn't wash in the big leagues.

If he truly believes that, he should have kept stum.
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..