Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 16:23   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

I do not think we can suspend the players for rest of the season! Like someone else said when grant and bavs who go on trail in June/July i think got charged with it! The club did not do anything until they have been proven guilty or not guilty and thats the way to go! But this is from the bury forum
Know where you're coming from shakersince92, except it was common knowledge in the WEEK before the game. Hence the change of Ref, and the fact that all betting on the game was stopped a few days earlier.

The reason given at the time was they thought some of the AS were going to be at a stag do and so they were not likely to be very interested (I thought the stag do was to be after the game and a number of AS players were going to pull out causing them to field a weakened side, BEFORE the Bookies/FA got wind of it)

Their lack of interest/non attendance plus Bury's recent good away form (at the time) and the biggest point which everyone is overlooking, is that the Bookies had actually got their initial odds wrong! caused the betting interest in the game

The scale of the betting alerted the bookies who then alerted the FA, who I feel pretty sure would have spoken to both AS and Bury prior to the game and before they changed the Ref. There are reports that the FA had people at the ground to monitor proceedings and report back, presumably done with the full co-operation of AS in the main, but also with Bury.

Its quite feasible the bookies, in particular, had an idea who was behind the betting and reported it back to the FA. Looking at the way the charges are framed and that neither AS or Bury as clubs (other as than their employers) are mentioned points to the fact it is the players who the FA are really interested in.

In the 60s betting scandal (albeit slightly different) neither Sheff Wed nor Ipswich Town were in any way reprimanded

I dont think there is any need to read any more into the 'no comment' statements by AS or us, the matter is still 'sub judice' and as such any comment could be perceived to have a detrimental affect (either way) on the final outcome and any punishments should there be any

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2009, 16:31   #47
Resting in Peace

Footballers know the rules on gambling, I actually think they are not even allowed to play the pools let alone at the bookies, much in the same way that jockey's aren't allowed to bet on houses.

The thing that annoys me is the fact that people like you lads on here pay your hard earned money to watch these cheats play for Stanley and try there best, not sell you down the river like that, Only hope you give um some stick whenever possible, as I'm sure you will
Old 07-04-2009, 16:35   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The analogies don't work.
How do the allegations affect you, or indeed any other fan? Apprehension, anxiety over what's to come?
No, certainly not. Apprehension, anxiety of what's been and gone. They affect me, and indeed any other fan, because we wonder if some members of the team that we are watching have (a) flouted clear laws; and (b) bet against their own team. There is a (c) which I won't state but which should be obvious.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:38   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I would normally agree with you on this but haven't the club set a precedent by not suspending Dunsavin and Grant when they were accused of nightclub thuggery? You can't really have one law for one and one law for another.
The two that you name have not been accused of breaking the laws of their own profession. If they are found to be guilty, it would reflect on them personally but it would not necessarily bring their profession into disrepute.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:42   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
I

I dont think there is any need to read any more into the 'no comment' statements by AS or us, the matter is still 'sub judice' and as such any comment could be perceived to have a detrimental affect (either way) on the final outcome and any punishments should there be any
There is nothing currently 'sub-judice' whatsoever. The FA has no legal standing as a Court of Law and as such we are free to say what we like, within the usual boundaries. That situation, will of course, change should the police and subsequently the CPS decide to bring charges before a court. Only then could sub-judice be deemed to apply.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:43   #51
God Member

probably fortunately both players are out of contract shortly.

There obviously HAS been a bet placed because the FA have taken nearly 12 months to give out those financial statements.

bye-bye.
Old 07-04-2009, 16:52   #52
Senior Member+

Wonder how Coley feels about his own players who he has brought in and trusted that they will play to the best of there ability feels now the FA have charged two of our players with it! Will Cav and Rocky be in the squad on Saturday if they arnt who will replace them? Bell, Murdock, Leam if fit, Murphy if fit!

Old 07-04-2009, 16:54   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i would hope they are not in any squads until this matter is resolved.
Old 07-04-2009, 16:58   #54

Wasn't it the bookies who tipped off the FA following a lot of suspicious activity in the Liverpool area betting shops? I think so
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 17:01   #55
Senior Member+

Yes it was as someone from the bury forum pointed out! What get's me though is how they found out it was them!

Old 07-04-2009, 17:04   #56
Senior Member+

A bury fan just said

Just seen Eric Whalley on SSN, and he's stated if any AS player found guilty they will immediately be dismissed. So got it on now waiting for it to come on.

Old 07-04-2009, 17:05   #57
Senior Member+

Its not hard..... You get bank statements & you get betting slips.....

£4k drawn out of D Mannix account night before Bury game. £4k in Mannix local bookies on Bury win v Acc

Mannix can't explain to the satisfaction of the FA, where he spent his 4k.....

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 17:37   #58
Senior Member+

10pages of what dale think
RochdaleAFC.com - Rochdale

Old 07-04-2009, 18:01   #59

thick dumb players you would have got away if you would have saved up money over a few weeks than put it on in different places and not doing it in person you thick ~~~~~ so all should never play 4 the club again time for cav rocky to go
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 18:02   #60

This is not good.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..