Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2011, 23:39   #61

Re: Stevenage Thread (part two)

What silly postings Lindsay Ormerod, not even interested as to why you weren't at the match. As others have said, the off the ball thuggery was ridiculous, you had to be there - they are an absolute disgrace & so were the officials! Agree, we were posibly guilty of being naive and even John Coleman said they had done a number on us - lets hope they get hammered in the final.
Preston Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2011, 00:24   #62
God Member

Couldn't get there tonight as working, but feel gutted for the whole team at the crown. That said, I also feel immensley proud of the team for the way they managed to get into the play offs, we were after all expected to be further down the league at the start of the season lol.

This summer could be an interesting and possibly trying one for us fans, will the dynamic duo still be with us........I hope so, but you never know.

No matter what tho, thanks to the generosity of the town, fellow football supporters and two very special gentlemen one thing is for sure, we will be back next season!

Thanks asfc for a tremendous effort, its been fun!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:04   #63
Senior Member+

Of course if we had won the play offs we would not have had renewing our rivalries with Steve Evans to look forward to - or at least it would have been deferred for another season.

And Wimbledon could be in the League with us.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:20   #64
Senior Member+

This is a variant on some of the other coverage:

Accrington 0 Stevenage 1 (Agg 0-3): Visitors Set Sights on Successive Promotions - FanHouse UK

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:45   #65
Senior Member+

Well we can talk about poor officials all day long.

But the fact of the matter is we where beaten by a better side over the 2 games.

The pitch yet again was an absolute disgrace as was Mark Roberts in getting Mcconville sent off. I really do detest that man.

We Will Be Back.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:45   #66
Resting in Peace

Westley's post match comment looks innocent enough, but hides a cynicism about their play such as I have never before witnessed on a football field.
" It was important not to let them allow their game to develop."

They suckered Stanley into losing their heads trying to fight fire with fire, but I don't want our players "to learn from that" as he suggests. I am stuck between hoping Torquay give them a stuffing, but at the same time never wanting to be subjected to their ugly ploys again. Wonderful support from the Stanley faithful last night, especially at the end, which I thought was quite moving, but then I'm a sentimental old get. I am grateful for an astonishing season with some wonderful performances, but I have a nagging feeling that, if Coley had fully used the squad he is always going on about, we would easily have been in the automatic play-off positions.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:08   #67
Senior Member+

Agree with most of the posts,and stevenages game plan worked home and away.The key was the second balls,and again they won that battle.
But whats happened to the pitch?,they have had 3 weeks at least to prepare it,and the sight of a wheelbarrow filling up holes with topsoil takes the biscuit.
Talk about playing into there hands,unbelievable!!!.
Someone must be accountable for it,thats all the neutrals talked about.
Its impossible to play fast one and two touch footie in the middle,even Barca would struggle,so how was we going to beat them?,no wonder Coleman seemed deep in thought all the time,he must have been so frustrated.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:43   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i'd have been deep in thought wi NO planB thats the bottom line IMHO.
Old 21-05-2011, 10:43   #69
God Member

An excerpt from an article by Paul Fletcher on the BBC site:

Back in March the Football League wrote to Stevenage asking them for their response to suggestions that players were systematically feigning injury during games so that Westley could use the stoppages to relay tactical information to his team and provide them with fluids to refuel.

"The Football League asked the club to be mindful of certain aspects of the spirit of the game," said Westley in March. "There's no specific criticism in there."

Here's the link: BBC - Paul Fletcher: Westley steering Stevenage to new heights

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:55   #70

Definitely noticing a difference in reaction from those who were at the game (including neutral journos) and those who watched it on Sky.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 11:19   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
But whats happened to the pitch?,they have had 3 weeks at least to prepare it,and the sight of a wheelbarrow filling up holes with topsoil takes the biscuit.

Not sure how many games have been played on it in that time but it has been used for local cup-finals.
Old 21-05-2011, 11:37   #72
God Member

We were better than Sunday but allowed Stevenage as others have said to dictate the pattern of play again last night.

I expected a big change of game plan last night but it never materialised with play being broke up or injurys being feigned on both sides putting paid to that.

We literally fell down our own trap of focussing more on what they had done rather than what we were capable of doing and then falling hook, line & sinker for it all again.

As daft as it was it seemed we created more when we went down to nine men than when we played with eleven?

It has been a wonderful journey this season with great football along the way but for it to end as it did is a hard pill to swallow.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:50   #73
God Member

Over the two legs I think we failed in two key aspects. Firstly, our tactics. In the first leg we allowed Stevenage to isolate our key attacking players and give us no options through their high pressing. We should've been quicker on the ball and better in our movement off it. In the second leg we were too reliant on the hope that Terry could somehow outjump/outmuscle two goliath centre-halves and singlehandedly provide a second phase that our midfield could capitalise on. It didn't work. Obviously, the pitch halted our normal passing game, but we should've adapted and exploited the channels that Stevenage dominated in both legs. Granted, Coley tried to bring some width to our game in the likes of Chris Turner but it was too little too late (well done to Chris though, he did well with what he was given).

Secondly, our mentality was not strong. Perhaps it's down to the average age of the starting eleven being so young (apart from Grandad Hess), but we allowed Stevenage's bullying tactics to diminish our will to fight on. Stevenage had very, very simple tactics but were 100% concentrated on them over 180 minutes. We on the other hand often looked clueless. I do think that resting the majority of the first team at Burton was a massive mistake and only made the players lose their winning mentality by giving them more time off the pitch to get overwhelmed by the prospect of the play-offs.

Our weaknesses were exploited well and we got what we deserved out of the two legs: Nowt.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:58   #74
God Member

"On the evidence of what I saw on Friday, Accrington should not be too disheartened because they have a lot going for them. The Crown Ground was awash with red and white flags and Stanley's fans deserve great credit for the effort they put in to making the ground as colourful and atmospheric as possible. I thought there was an intimacy about watching a game there that you rarely experience. Many of the players were on first-name terms with the fans and the local community appears to be at the very heart of the club."
Old 21-05-2011, 13:20   #75

It was always going to be an uphill battle but the same "key" players that let the team down in the first leg did the same in the second. Especially McConville who with his sending off put the game to rest. Fair enough Jacobsen (who had played very well IMHO) was red carded for a bad challenge but the latter card was avoidable. Pat on the back for all the others on the pitch they battled to the end and kept the score respectable. Coley's body language wasnt good from the off and he looked like a man with a lot on his mind. Big question now who should stay and who should go. Lets hope next season brings as many highs as this one. Play offs were just that bridge too far but would settle for the same next season.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..