Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2013, 13:43   #586
Senior Member+

Re: Christian Science

Marriage is not as relevant as it once was. My friend ern that died a few years back was with his partner for around 20 years + before they got married. Thier relationship was one to be envious of

Last edited by Restless; 17-11-2013 at 13:46.
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2013, 13:50   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Tell that to Brother Cadfael.
I don't claim that Christians and science are oxymoronic. Rather, the Christian resort to miracles is non-scientific. There exists no scientific account in the Bible or elsewhere of how Jesus was able to turn water instantly into wine, walk on water and the rest. Better to declare that I haven't found such accounts - expecting some references. Indeed in the scientific literature I have found no acknowledgement that Jesus was able to perform miracles. I might be supplied with references to such admissions, but don't expect them.
Old 17-11-2013, 13:57   #588
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
I don't claim that Christians and science are oxymoronic. Rather, the Christian resort to miracles is non-scientific. There exists no scientific account in the Bible or elsewhere of how Jesus was able to turn water instantly into wine, walk on water and the rest. Better to declare that I haven't found such accounts - expecting some references. Indeed in the scientific literature I have found no acknowledgement that Jesus was able to perform miracles. I might be supplied with references to such admissions, but don't expect them.
I take it you have just jumped in on this thread without reading it all?

The reason for this assumption is that had you read the thread, you would have seen Kevin being asked to go to the introduce yourself thread and well, introduce himself.

Perhaps after you do read all the thread you could also oblige?
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 17-11-2013, 14:55   #589

Christ our Helper
1I am writing this to you, my children, so that you will not sin; but if anyone does sin, we have someone who pleads with the Father on our behalf — Jesus Christ, the righteous one. 2And Christ himself is the means by which our sins are forgiven, and not our sins only, but also the sins of everyone.
3If we obey God's commands, then we are sure that we know him. 4Those who say that they know him, but do not obey his commands, are liars and there is no truth in them. 5All those who obey his word are people whose love for God has really been made perfect. This is how we can be sure that we are in union with God: 6those who say that they remain in union with God should live just as Jesus Christ did.
The New Command
7My dear friends, this command I am writing to you is not new; it is the old command, the one you have had from the very beginning. The old command is the message you have already heard.8However, the command I am now writing to you is new, because its truth is seen in Christ and also in you. For the darkness is passing away, and the real light is already shining.
9Those who say that they are in the light, yet hate their brothers and sisters, are in the darkness to this very hour. 10Those who love their brothers and sisters live in the light, and so there is nothing in them that will cause someone else to sin. 11But those who hate their brothers and sisters are in the darkness; they walk in it and do not know where they are going, because the darkness has made them blind.
Old 17-11-2013, 14:56   #590
JFT96

Hi D, (seeing you cannot get my name right, I will now call you D99ward)

You see proof is not to be found in the Bible, the problem is this, the Bible is a few thousand years old and as such is not reliable in determining proof, to help you I will rephrase my original question.

What Scientific evidence can you show that God exists?

It is a simple answer, if there is proof then great, however if not why not say so, it should not shake your belief

Definition of Scientific Evidence:
Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientific theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls.

Good luck, oh and by the way, I believe JCB is still waiting

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Old 17-11-2013, 15:09   #591
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
By all means give to charities Less if it make you feel good. I personally think that charities in Britain are redundant as we pay taxes to support a welfare state. At one time the church made it part of its task to feed the hungry but now the state has taken over the task. Many appear to be in want but they still keep their computers and ISP to say nothing of the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Very charitable

What about poverty in the Third World?, which was doing very well until the Missionary's arrived......

On the subject of questions, I refer you to post #577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Hi D, (seeing you cannot get my name right, I will now call you D99ward)

You see proof is not to be found in the Bible, the problem is this, the Bible is a few thousand years old and as such is not reliable in determining proof, to help you I will rephrase my original question.

What Scientific evidence can you show that God exists?

It is a simple answer, if there is proof then great, however if not why not say so, it should not shake your belief

Definition of Scientific Evidence:
Scientific evidence is evidence which serves to either support or counter a scientific theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical evidence and in accordance with scientific method. Standards for scientific evidence vary according to the field of inquiry, but the strength of scientific evidence is generally based on the results of statistical analysis and the strength of scientific controls.

Good luck, oh and by the way, I believe JCB is still waiting
The arrogance of this man is mind boggling. I'm late to this thread today but Si you have put my thoughts on charities into words very well, thank you. And also of course the lack of explananation of walking on water etc. Perhaps one day some archaeologist will uncover a laboratory from the biblical era...
Boeing Guy and dotti34 like this.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:16   #592

Quote:

I have reported this post (#589) because it is obviously copy and paste with no personal input nor, the courtesy to aknowledge the site you took it from.

Boeing Guy likes this.

Last edited by Less; 17-11-2013 at 15:20.
Old 17-11-2013, 15:22   #593
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Good morning Susie. My, my you are an early customer. I am tucked up nice and warm in my bed. I hope that your tootsies are not too cold.

One wonders why you bother to read my posts with such an attitude. Maybe you are hoping to learn something from them. The word of God is senseless to the unsaved. It was senseless to me before I was saved also, but then the light of the glorious gospel shined into my heart and there was no turning back.
Arrogant and patronising in equal measure. I read your posts and the rest of the thread for a certain entertainment value and to see whether anything will appear other than the usual Biblical platitudes. Your views, like mine, are unchanging and unchangeable.

BTW I also was tucked up nice and warm in my bed, not that it's any business of yours, as is the state of my toes. I was on my way towards sleep rather than waking.
Less, Boeing Guy, Eric and 1 others like this.
Old 17-11-2013, 16:31   #594
JCB

Quote:

I am a bible believing Christian.
So you are a bible believing Christian , but do you know your Bible enough to answer the questions I have asked you about what you have said , questions I have raised many times but which you persist in evading ?

Call it trolling if you wish , but I will continue to ask the same questions hoping that some day you will be courteous enough to answer .

Just to remind you this is what I asked .

You said : " We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel. Nothing further is required of us. "

Are the two separate statements you have just mentioned

1. We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel.
2. Nothing further is required of us. ?

If so which Bible are you using ?

Are you serious that Jesus commanded his followers just to tell the Gospel and made no other commands because nothing further is required of them ?
Old 17-11-2013, 16:53   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
So you are a bible believing Christian , but do you know your Bible enough to answer the questions I have asked you about what you have said , questions I have raised many times but which you persist in evading ?

Call it trolling if you wish , but I will continue to ask the same questions hoping that some day you will be courteous enough to answer .

You said : " We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel. Nothing further is required of us. "

Are you serious that Jesus commanded his followers just to tell the Gospel and made no other commands because nothing further is required of them ?
They seem to be reasonable questions and if I were the type to study such material, I think they are questions I aught to be able to answer.
Perhaps your asking the wrong questions JCB?
Start him on something easier such as:-

Why are you sticking your nose in where it's not wanted?

When will you be good enough to leave of your own accord?

Will you just keep visiting the site until you get a permenant ban?

OR

He could perhaps just answer these questions:-

They seem to be questions that keep coming up on this thread.

This takes me back the Sundays as a child wasted listening to the voice of God,

being distorted before my very eyes by some Bigot that got paid just for working one day a week.
JCB likes this.
Old 17-11-2013, 17:27   #596
God Member

Quote:
Who told you that Christianity is irrelevant, Eric
Nobody, I have this bad habit of thinking for myself ... now, Kevin, I know that thinking is not your strong point ... in fact, I do believe that you would have trouble pouring water out of a boot, even if the instructions were written on the heel ... but you must have heard of thinking; you may even have known folks who actually knew how to do it, altho' I doubt they had the stomach or the patience to hang out with you for long.

Without your bible you are nothing, a cipher ... You use the bible as a life raft on the troubled sea of life (I like using cliches now and again) ... but the bible itself is mere myth (and alliteration) ... You have sold your birthright for a mess of pottage (and biblical illusions) ... I trust you know the source.

Have a nice day, and don't do anything you wouldn't eat.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 17-11-2013, 17:45   #597

Quote:
Thank you less. You will get me banned yet ....... And then what?

Here is a nice song by Jeanette MacDonald : -

No you silly man I won't get you banned, YOU will.

Yes, each to their own, if memory serves, the tune is ripped off from the planet suite and the words were composed as a little bit of WWI propergander.

Am I right or wrong?

Or is this another question you will ignore?

And did those feet in ancient time
walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
on England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me by bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
till we have built Jerusalem
in England's green and pleasant land.

Willam Blake

The second verse is really good, tell me, what will you do with them if you get your arrows of desire?

Sounds a touch sinful to me.

It is often heard at funerals.
Old 17-11-2013, 18:22   #598
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

till we have built Jerusalem
in England's green and pleasant land.
The Palestinians won't be too pleased about that!

Come to that, the Israelis won't be too happy either.

These Christians are trouble makers!
Less and Eric like this.
Old 17-11-2013, 19:25   #599
JCB

Quote:
Thank you less. You will get me banned yet ....... And then what?
I hope not , at least not before you have answered my simple questions .

Old 17-11-2013, 21:02   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I take it you have just jumped in on this thread without reading it all?

The reason for this assumption is that had you read the thread, you would have seen Kevin being asked to go to the introduce yourself thread and well, introduce himself.

Perhaps after you do read all the thread you could also oblige?
Thanks for the advice. My regular experience is of an environment in which no-one cares a fig about introduction.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..