Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2013, 21:32   #601
Senior Member+

Re: Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I hope not , at least not before you have answered my simple questions .

Just to remind you this is what I asked .

You said : " We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel. Nothing further is required of us. "

Are the two separate statements you have just mentioned

1. We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel.
2. Nothing further is required of us. ?

If so which Bible are you using ?

Are you serious that Jesus commanded his followers just to tell the Gospel and made no other commands because nothing further is required of them ?
Just a thought. I don't think you are going to get any answers to those questions.
Old 17-11-2013, 21:40   #602

K99. I have just called in to the Web again, mainly to see how the photo competition was going. However, having nothing better to do for a while before I put on my little woman apron (if I can find one, that is!) I decided to catch up on this thread amongst others.

I note your posting No. 564 was directed to me and so here is my reply. I apologise to other members for it being lengthy.

I am happy for you that you experienced 27 years of happy married bliss. I am sorry that your wife died. From what you write I don’t think you were blessed with children, I could be wrong but you never mention family. This means you have been left a lonely old man – I could feel sorry for you over this except you have painted a picture of yourself as being egotistical, full of self, intolerant of others, becoming very personal, over familiar and even insulting with some of your postings, etc., etc.

You have made yourself some sort of expert on marriage – it may interest you to know that there are many people who experience a happy married life. I have yet to know anyone who was divorced over a plate of mashed potato – but if a plate of mashed spuds breaks up a marriage then it wasn’t that great to begin with. Now this is something to make you shiver in your shoes – my husband often cooks for ME!!!!!! He does this because he enjoys cooking and he is good at it, and who am I to spoil his pleasure!

Of no particular interest to anyone except him and me, I will once again say that we have been married for almost 57 years. I live in the real world where marriages – including ours, and boy! does it include ours - have their ups and downs but the downs make the ups so much more meaningful.

I do object to the familiarity you assume when directing your comments to me. So please note that I will not be replying to any more of your personal postings to me via this thread, or via any other means, as I am sure this particular interchange is becoming very boring to other members. It is to me.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 17-11-2013, 21:56   #603
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
Here is a nice song by Jeanette MacDonald : -
Oh so William Blake and Sir Hubert Parry had nothing to do with it then?
Old 17-11-2013, 22:08   #604
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No you silly man I won't get you banned, YOU will.

Yes, each to their own, if memory serves, the tune is ripped off from the planet suite and the words were composed as a little bit of WWI propergander.

Am I right or wrong?

Or is this another question you will ignore?

And did those feet in ancient time
walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
on England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me by bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
till we have built Jerusalem
in England's green and pleasant land.

Willam Blake

The second verse is really good, tell me, what will you do with them if you get your arrows of desire?

Sounds a touch sinful to me.

It is often heard at funerals.
Sorry Less you are confusing it with I vow to thee my country which is as you say from the Planets (Jupiter) and was rehashed with new words for a recent Rugby World Cup (World in Union). You might also be thinking of Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations which is often heard at funerals. It has no words rhat I'm aware of but is enough of a dirge without them.
Old 17-11-2013, 22:29   #605
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

I am happy for you that you experienced 27 years of happy married bliss. I am sorry that your wife died. From what you write I don’t think you were blessed with children, I could be wrong but you never mention family. This means you have been left a lonely old man – I could feel sorry for you over this except you have painted a picture of yourself as being egotistical, full of self, intolerant of others, becoming very personal, over familiar and even insulting with some of your postings, etc., etc.

You have made yourself some sort of expert on marriage – it may interest you to know that there are many people who experience a happy married life. I have yet to know anyone who was divorced over a plate of mashed potato – but if a plate of mashed spuds breaks up a marriage then it wasn’t that great to begin with. Now this is something to make you shiver in your shoes – my husband often cooks for ME!!!!!! He does this because he enjoys cooking and he is good at it, and who am I to spoil his pleasure!

Of no particular interest to anyone except him and me, I will once again say that we have been married for almost 57 years. I live in the real world where marriages – including ours, and boy! does it include ours - have their ups and downs but the downs make the ups so much more meaningful.

I do object to the familiarity you assume when directing your comments to me. So please note that I will not be replying to any more of your personal postings to me via this thread, or via any other means, as I am sure this particular interchange is becoming very boring to other members. It is to me.
Dotti I hope you don't mind me using your post to comment. You sound like a wise woman and your summing up of our friend is spot on especially his familiarity. But the thread itself is OK if you look upon it as nothing more than a lot of drivel and fun. It's certainly brought a lot of people out of the woodwork.

57 years is a long time in anyone's book, congratulations, there is obviously something you are doing right. My partner and I have clocked up 37 years, without a certificate. Some ups and downs and he can't cook, mainly because I have always enjoyed it, but now I am ill and confined to bed for a while he's having to look after me and that includes stints at the stove. Turtle is another member like yourself whose hubby likes to cook - read her latest blog.

I do hope we haven't lost you altogether - keep posting!
Stevie R likes this.
Old 17-11-2013, 23:30   #606
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
And also of course the lack of explananation of walking on water etc. .
just jumped in admitidly only to make a wise crack that if jesus was really that much of a big deal he woulda walked on water after the crucifiction...

or would that have been a tad too cocky of him to do it with holes in his feet ?
gpick24 likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 17-11-2013, 23:45   #607

Hi Susie, thank you for your very kind words. Much appreciated. No chance that you've lost me, I enjoy A/W too much to go away and stay away from this thread or any other. (Sorry about that to the person who sent me red karma). Love it! It makes my day. Better than a dose of medicine. It's just you-know-who that I won't be having 'personal' discussions with. Am sure I won't be able to resist continuing to put my two-bob's worth in.
Congratulations also for your 37 years without a certificate. I would have done the same but for family pressure at the time. A bit of paper doesn't mean much.
Am so sorry that you are not well. I send my best wishes to you.
Old 17-11-2013, 23:51   #608

...and I will continue to look at this thread as a 'lot of drivel and fun'. Certainly can't take it seriously.....
Old 18-11-2013, 01:42   #609
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
Thanks for the advice. My regular experience is of an environment in which no-one cares a fig about introduction.
I do believe that was the garden of eden ....

Oops, my mistake ... I read it as "fig leaf"
Old 18-11-2013, 08:08   #610
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
God bless you too Jay. I actually met my wife at a dancing class. It is a wonder that I went but a friend was lonely and didn't want to go by himself so I reluctantly went along. We were just friends for two years but eventually friendship blossomed into courtship. Neither of us was particularly religious but she had devoted years to running the Girls Friendly Society (GFS) at her church and her girls loved her. I wasn't saved then but as I have said before I vowed I would never marry a non-Christian.
Me thinks the best place for you would be a self centered religious website where I'm sure you'd fit quite nicely, please don't bore the pants of everybody with religious clap trap (except MargaretR that is) if I want to be fronted by religion every day I'll go to church thank you
Old 18-11-2013, 08:25   #611
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Me thinks the best place for you would be a self centered religious website where I'm sure you'd fit quite nicely, please don't bore the pants of everybody with religious clap trap (except MargaretR that is) if I want to be fronted by religion every day I'll go to church thank you
No he wouldn't, he's already bragged about closing down a religious site and on another site pestering the members so much the Administrators created a religous section to try to curb his enthusiasm, he claims that he made sure that didn't work.

He has also threatened to use similar tactics on here if he can't have his way.

Even the Devil wouldn't want him posting on www.sinnersrus.co.uk.
Old 18-11-2013, 08:38   #612
God Member

"(except MargaretR that is)"
I put him on ignore days ago - when boredom morphed into irritation.
Restless likes this.

Old 18-11-2013, 08:46   #613
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
"(except MargaretR that is)"
I put him on ignore days ago - when boredom morphed into irritation.
I only mentioned you Margaret because you once told me not to speak for you
Old 18-11-2013, 15:24   #614
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
you have painted a picture of yourself as being egotistical, full of self, intolerant of others, becoming very personal, over familiar and even insulting with some of your postings, etc.
Just about sums it up ... altho', no doubt, other folks can fill in the "etc." There's nothing about him that's really human ... my vacuum cleaner demonstrates more humanity, sensitivity, and compassion. (Just mentioned the vac 'cause I'm in the middle of doing my floors) Pity I don't have a woman around to take care of the menial household chores (And Susie reaches for her barf bag)

But seriously, congrats on the 57 years ... I don't think I made it past 57 months in either of my marriages, or any of my relationships. Probably because I'm evil and sinful, and refuse to accept JESUS into my life

Anyway, my down under buddy, enjoy your spring and summer ... here in the Up and Over, we are waiting for the winter ... going to get my skates sharpened this afternoon
Old 18-11-2013, 15:32   #615
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No one is forcing you to read or reply

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..