Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26   #151
Resident Waffler

Re: Portrayal of women: (split)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Never did I ever make any nasty comment towards you.........but you!!!! didn't have the ****ing guts to PM me and tell me where and when I had offended you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably because it never ****ing happened.
You didn't direct a comment towards me. You made a comment about a fat person having posted in the thread and I was the only fat person to have posted in the thread so presumably Rindy knowing that I am a fat person because he knows me and knows that you know I am a fat person quite naturally saw that as a reference to me. As would any other AccyWeb member who has even seen pictures of me in the gallery let alone met me.

I did mention to him that I was puzzled about how I had managed to anger you and Tinkerbelle in the 'intermittent custodial sentences' thread without intending to as it seemed that way when one of you quoted my post and added a comment about the thread being closed and the other said that exprssed her anger in a far nicer way than she could have. I mentioned that because I was baffled by why you were both angry when all I had done was refer to a quote one of you (Tinkerbelle) had made earlier in the thread about the idea having been adandoned.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2006, 01:29   #152
Resident Waffler

I just hope that you can see that no-one was actually having a go at thin or fat people but trying to avoid people thinking they couldn't be in Gayle's fashion show if they didn't look like Kate Moss. The point being that probably no-one in Accrington looks like Kate Moss and 99.99% of the women in the Uk don't look like Kate Moss.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:36   #153
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

I did mention to him that I was puzzled about how I had managed to anger you and Tinkerbelle in the 'intermittent custodial sentences' thread without intending to as it seemed that way when one of you quoted my post and added a comment about the thread being closed
I am soooo sorry if you thought this was aimed at you willow!! Actually it was aimed at MADHATTERS post and post's being closed when still good opinions were being put forward SORRY again if you thought this was because of you.

And actually before the last meet I would never have known you even if I had have fallen over you.......but I would never have described you as the FATEST person I ever met.......not only would that be awfully bloody wrong.......but it is something I would never ever say in the first place.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:28   #154
Resting in Peace

Right now thats sorted can we get back to the thread PLEASE
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:47   #155
Resident Waffler

Right, so on the actual subject of this thread can I please ask if you, Slinky, think this looks attractive?

This is what I preume Gayle doesn't want in her fashion show and what she was saying no-one needs to look like to be in the fashion show because she needs real people with real normal bodies of whatever various shapes and sizes, but NORMAL.

You'd have to serously crash diet to look like that!

The above image is what Garinda meant by "stick thin annorexic". No-one at any time ever implied that they thought you or any other AccyWebber is a stick thin annorexic. Someone who starves themselves in order to look like the person in that photograph (because that image has been portrayed as ideal on the catwalk) in my opinion does need help because no way is it natural to harm your body in order to acheive that.

Back in the 60s (you're too young to remember) there was a famous model by the name of Twiggy. She called herself Twiggy because she was slim. She described herself as thin as a twig. By Kate Moss standards however she would probably been seen a slightly plump! That's how mad things got. People tried to emulate Twiggy because she was the icon of the day - then they tried to outdo her, then it got stupid.

Old 05-11-2006, 14:31   #156
Resident Waffler

Now that some of the posts have been removed it unfortunately makes some of the responses to those posts looks as foolish as posts which respond to those which have been subsequently edited.

Old 05-11-2006, 14:40   #157
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Right, so on the actual subject of this thread can I please ask if you, Slinky, think this looks attractive?

is that where my mop went!!
GET SOME STEAK PUDS DOWN YA WOMAN! YUK!!
Old 05-11-2006, 14:41   #158
Resident Waffler

I know a 14 year old girl, already slim, who is dieting because she looks at people like that and thinks that she herself is fat!

Old 06-11-2006, 00:15   #159
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Again with your pictures of anorexic girls your missing the point.
How is that missing the point when Gary was actually referring to annorexic girls and not naturally slim ones?

There was a program on TV tonight about this very issue - not about naturally slim and attractive women but about those who have shortened their lifespan and damaged their internal organs by trying starving themselves into a size 6 or 8 at 5ft 10 or more. Even Sophie Dahl succumbed to pressure to conform.

Medical experts described these women in similar terms to those which have been cricicised in this thread.

I have a friend whose naturally slim 14 year old daughter has dieted herself into a scary frailty and yet still sees herself as fat and still wants to lose more weight!

I admit that I'm fat, or to be more accurate, obese. I don't enjoy it and I don't stuff my face with pies and chocolate 24/7 as is the popular misconception. It may seem ironic for me of all people to worry about this girl but I do worry about her and I'm thankful my girls aren't as stupid.

I wish the fashion industry in general had the approach that Gayle has and would show normal people of all sizes and admit that we come in short, tall, slim and rounded shapes all of which are natural instead of portraying the unnatural as an ideal to be aimed for.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:08   #160
God Member

Quote:
How is that missing the point when Gary was actually referring to annorexic girls and not naturally slim ones?
Do you think I'm stupid or something? ....... In fact don't answer.

I'm not going to be responding Willow, between you and Gary you'll only manage to twist and turn it to make me look the bad guy

Delete it Len ....... Thick skinned and don't give a shi ....... damn!

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 06-11-2006 at 01:16.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:38   #161
Resident Waffler

Oh well I'll just confirm again what I've said before, that I for one don't think you or Slinky could ever be described as stick thin annorexic and for anyone to do so or to insult either one of you to the other, or indeed anyone else of a similar size or smaller for that matter is inexcusable. If someone is naturally slim then that is their natural shape and shouldn't be ridiculed.

I don't know what it's like to be a very slim person who would like to gain weight and can't. I've never been there. It isn't something I've experienced. I do know what it's like to be a fat person and then an obese person who has tried to lose weight and only ended up gaining more and I do know what it's like to be ridiculed and told that I'm a liar and that all I need to do is eat less. I even believed that all I needed to do was eat less, and then less than that when it wasn't working and couldn't understand why it wasn't working until I finally learned only a few months ago how metabolism works and how the human body stores fat from the most meagre resources.

I do still go along with the sentiments of the TV program last night that presenting artificially thin women who diet in order to get even thinner as a norm to be aspired to is unhealthy, dangerous and very, very wrong. I'm talking about slim people who want to LOSE weight, not about slim people who are happy with their weight or slim people who want to gain a bit. This is about how they are endangering their health and presenting a role model to young girls who are then endangering their health and even putting their lives at risk by trying to emulate them when they already have lovely slim attractive figures. Maybe kids like that need to be 'insulted' to shock them into looking at themselves and realising what they are doing to their bodies with the dangrous dieting when they are already thin.

I'm not twisting anything Tinkerbelle. I'm just trying to explain to you that neither I nor Gary nor Gayle ever set out to insult you, Slinky or anyone on AccyWeb or even anyone not on AccyWeb by referring to the general public's preconceived idea of what a model should be and Gayle simply saying that wasn't what she was looking for for her fashion show.

BTW you can both call me fat if you like. You do better to call me obese as that is more accurate but please don't call me a cow. I don't mind you speaking the truth. That isn't an insult, it's merly factual and I know that fat people look ugly. I've been told that before. However, I also think that annorexic models look ugly. Slim people on the other hand look attractive and you two as slim attractive people surely cannot imagine that anyone could ever class you alongside the ugliness of the superwaif catwalk model image.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 06-11-2006 at 08:45.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:09   #162
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Portrayal of women

Listen you lot,

I am the only stick thin anorexic in the village so the rest of you can sling yer 'ook.

I think it is time for the media to stop printing pictures and airing TV programmes of these stick thin anorexic type models as shown above. Maybe then us, the public can show these 'few homosexual designers' (as Rindy said above) that we don't want to see this type of model and we don't want our daughters unhealthily starving themselves trying to achieve that look.

Until the media start giving a damn about the health of these (and our) young girls then we can vote with our wallet's and TV remote's. Don't buy the magazines and turn over the TV when the fashion shows come on. If you really care enough then why not email the magazines and TV companies stating you view.

Maybe someone on here could get together and post a list of email addresses for all the fashion type magazines and TV shows. We could write an email with picture attachments and we can all send emails to them.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:14   #163
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I know that fat people look ugly.... Slim people on the other hand look attractive
Sorry Willow but I don't agree with your comment above. As the saying goes 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. I think a more accurate statement would be 'some people are ugly and some people are not'. I see good looking people of all shapes and sizes, I also see ugly ones of all shapes and sizes. Size is not a definition of beauty.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:23   #164
Resident Waffler

It's actully been pointed out to me before Neil that I'm fat and therefore ugly and I don't dispute that. How could I? I look at photographs of myself and I don't like what I see. I look at photographs of what I once looked like and wish that I still looked like that. I'll find a couple of contrasting images of myself to show you what I mean.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:29   #165
I am Banned

Personally i think this is a no win arguement everybody even me have some form of hang up over our own bodies so you should all kiss & make up!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..