Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 08:27   #181
Resting in Peace

Re: Portrayal of women: (split)

It does not matter what your size is its what's inside that counts.
I have made a lot of friends here on Accyweb,
I dont care what size,colour, shape,age ect they are you are all good mates and fun to be with.
I just love YOU ALL
now can we stop this and get back to the thread ta PLEASE
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2006, 08:59   #182
Resident Waffler

Er, I thought this thread was about size, hence it being cut off like from t'other one about t'fashion parade.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:00   #183
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Who IS that?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:33   #184
Give, give, give member

Again I would like to appologise for the hurt I caused because of the thoughless terminology I used earlier.

However I do think it is a serious issue.

An interesting note about the issue of the fashion industy's attitude to size can be seen on Channel 5's programme Make me a Supermodel.

I mentioned before that one of the girls is a single mum from Wigan. She gets hassle from the judges all the time because they tell her she's too big to be a model. She was measured last night and weighed, and has actually gained weight and put two inches on her waist size in the three weeks she's been on the programme.

Each week the judges, Rachel Hunter, Dylan Jones, Tandy the owner of one of the UK's top model agencies, and a photographer, put up the models who haven't in their eyes followed their advice. Jen the Wigan lass was put up for the public vote last week, and the public voted to save her. Mainly because she has a cracking sense of humour as well as being gorgeous.

Ironically, even though she isn't the judges favourite to win, and if the public vote her as the ultimate winner, she will struggle to find work as a model because she isn't the perfect sample size.

jen's gallery | make me a supermodel | five.tv

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:35   #185
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Who IS that?
Krizia model on the catwalk this Spring in Milan.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:02   #186
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Who IS that?
More like WHAT is that.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24   #187
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

I mentioned before that one of the girls is a single mum from Wigan. She gets hassle from the judges all the time because they tell her she's too big to be a model. She was measured last night and weighed, and has actually gained weight and put two inches on her waist size in the three weeks she's been on the programme.
I bet she's been dieting to try to lose weight to please the judges and in her case it's having the opposite effect just like I described with me - whatever small amount she does eat is automatically being turned to fat.

It is wrong, wrong, wrong for the judges to keep perpetuating this harmful ideal.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:27   #188
Resident Waffler

I've just been looking at those pics and Jen is absolutely gorgeous.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:36   #189
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've just been looking at those pics and Jen is absolutely gorgeous.
She is.

Sadly the judges decided to put her up for the public vote again this week, citing her weight as the reason. After leaving the room she then went white and fainted.

It showed a clip from the next programme, and in it she explains why she fainted. Lets hope she hasn't been making herself sick or starving herself in a last ditch attempt to win over the judges.

A close relative, sporty, healthy and intelligent, and ten years old, told me this week at my Mum's birthday tea that she needs to lose three pounds. That I find sick.

Old 08-11-2006, 13:16   #190
Resident Waffler

Oh I wish I could get hold of those judges and bash their heads together! Trouble is as a fat person I would never be taken seriously they'd just say I was jealous.

In a way I do hope the reason she fainted is that she's been making herself ill trying to get thin enough to please the judges and I hope the media kick up an almighty stink about it and perhaps people will start to get real.

I've just been thinking (it happens sometimes) following a little chat I've just had (in real life) on this very subject. If there weren't all these offensively starved bodies portrayed as ideals then perhaps normal slim people wouldn't be subjected to insults about their size which imply that they are annorexic. They'd just be seen as one of the many varied examples of normal because we wouldn't have been bombarded with anything abnormal.

Just a thought.

Old 08-11-2006, 14:13   #191
God Member

Quote:

I've just been thinking (it happens sometimes) following a little chat I've just had (in real life) on this very subject. If there weren't all these offensively starved bodies portrayed as ideals then perhaps normal slim people wouldn't be subjected to insults about their size which imply that they are annorexic. They'd just be seen as one of the many varied examples of normal because we wouldn't have been bombarded with anything abnormal.

Just a thought.
Hee hee, that real life chat wasn't the one with me by any chance was it willow????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:14   #192
Resident Waffler

Nah, it was one of the cats!

Old 08-11-2006, 14:16   #193
God Member

Quote:
Nah, it was one of the cats!
Hmph, well I'm not coming round to yours again if you think I'm one of your cats now!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:52   #194
Resident Waffler

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brackie.JPG (64.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Furbs.JPG (43.0 KB, 50 views)

Old 08-11-2006, 17:24   #195
Senior Member+

It's a sad world we live in;my daughter's father is of the opinion that she is overweight and has told her so,very helpful for a hormonal 10 year old to hear that! She is turning into a young lady and developing virtually before our eyes! She is never gonna be Kate Moss as I am 5ft 4.5 and her dad is about the same,neither of us are slim so what does he expect! It's a constant struggle to get her to focus on the more important things in life and realise that we love her as she is!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..