Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Time terrorist suspects can be held without charge.
I'm in favour of the time being increased to 42 days. 14 56.00%
I think the time should remain at 28 days. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2008, 13:14   #271
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: new concession for terror bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well JB there has no one answered my question that I've now posted twice, looks like I've had the last word on that then
Don’t believe it.

There will be a few puerile brains working overtime to try and find what they think of as a witty and put down answer.

You can’t have a decent debate on here without some idiot getting personal or just plain nasty because they can’t put forward a logical counter view but they have to say something even if it means dragging the thread off topic.
Old 14-06-2008, 13:32   #272
Give, give, give member

Re: new concession for terror bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
And your childish “I must have the last word come what may” point is?
Nothing to do with having the last word, just pointing out that the CCTV that you seem to so fear, has been used successfully to apprehend and prosecute those intent on terrorist violence.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 13:34   #273
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You can’t have a decent debate on here without some idiot getting personal or just plain nasty because they can’t put forward a logical counter view but they have to say something even if it means dragging the thread off topic.
How ironic is that?

Perhaps this should be in red, so it appears as if I'm shouting.

Old 14-06-2008, 13:38   #274
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don’t believe it.

There will be a few puerile brains working overtime to try and find what they think of as a witty and put down answer.

If you'll read what I said JB I wasn't getting at you, it just worked in with your post, in as much as that I have asked a question about the 28 days legislation and of those who support the 42 day limit have not answered, so It worked in well with what you said about the last word, If you took this as an insult to yourself JB I'm sorry its wasn't ment for you
Old 14-06-2008, 14:01   #275
God Member

It's taken me a while to read through this thread.

So far on the poll 12 people have voted for 42 days and 11 people have voted to leave it at 28 days. It's surprising, so far in the thread it appeared that more people wanted 42 days.

I would have thought that 28 days was quite long enough to find out if someone is a terrorist....I don't advocate being soft on terrorism but I don't think that it's necessary to increase the time from 28 days.
Old 14-06-2008, 14:03   #276
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If you'll read what I said JB I wasn't getting at you, it just worked in with your post, in as much as that I have asked a question about the 28 days legislation and of those who support the 42 day limit have not answered, so It worked in well with what you said about the last word, If you took this as an insult to yourself JB I'm sorry its wasn't ment for you
Can i have a night off till the Lords debate
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:13   #277
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
There is no need to prove people stupid.

They do it themselves.
yes people prove many things themselves,don't they?
Old 14-06-2008, 14:14   #278
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
So far on the poll 12 people have voted for 42 days and 11 people have voted to leave it at 28 days. It's surprising, so far in the thread it appeared that more people wanted 42 days.
As far as I recall those for and against in this thread seemed equally split, which is reflected in the poll so far.

What is suprising is that our poll doesn't seem to reflect the ones taken nationally, which have between 65-70% of the British people suporting the increase from 28 to 42 days.

Which either means we are soft on terrorism or worried about civil liberties, depending upon your point of view.

Old 14-06-2008, 14:22   #279
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Can i have a night off till the Lords debate
By all means Beni, you have a night of, because there will be plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth when that starts
Old 14-06-2008, 14:48   #280
Resting in Peace

Quote:
By all means Beni, you have a night of, because there will be plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth when that starts
Thanks for that because after 19 pages of calm meaningful debate the poll is looking a bit like my front room(not a lot in it)
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:57   #281
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Thanks for that because after 19 pages of calm meaningful debate the poll is looking a bit like my front room(not a lot in it)
Or as the Professional politicians say its to close to call
Old 14-06-2008, 16:43   #282

Quote:
Or as the Professional politicians say its to close to call
LOL!!! karma sent u humourous chap!
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 18:03   #283
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
LOL!!! karma sent u humourous chap!
Thanks onlyme your a star, at last some one who appreciates my very dry scence of humour
Old 14-06-2008, 22:13   #284
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
I know you weren’t getting at me jaysay.

I was just pointing out what happens far too often from some members – present company excepted.
Old 14-06-2008, 22:28   #285
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As far as I recall those for and against in this thread seemed equally split, which is reflected in the poll so far.

What is suprising is that our poll doesn't seem to reflect the ones taken nationally, which have between 65-70% of the British people suporting the increase from 28 to 42 days.

Which either means we are soft on terrorism or worried about civil liberties, depending upon your point of view.
In spite of some people’s beliefs in polls, they are not, have not and never can be representative of the country as whole. They rarely if ever ask more than 10,000 people and they cannot show if someone answers the questions truthfully or not.

How the can the views of 10,000 people represent the real views of some 55 million people?

So your claim that 65-70% of the British people support the increase from 28 days to 42 is a load of old cobblers and has no validity whatsoever.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..