Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Time terrorist suspects can be held without charge.
I'm in favour of the time being increased to 42 days. 14 56.00%
I think the time should remain at 28 days. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 01:08   #166
white rabbits

Re: new concession for terror bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The threat of terroism affects us all and for your information although we may not be at uni we do know the meaning of words we quote without resorting "look them up" as you put it. You are trying and belittle people and it just don't wash!
now here is a little word for you all to look up in the dictionary,,,"""SLY"""WHICH ALL POLITITIONS SEEM TO BE....
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10   #167
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Rindi can I ask you which you think is the best at preventing terrorists from killing. Security services or increasing detention without charge from 28 to 42 days?

When it comes to protecting the innocent, and safeguarding national security, I want both, which I've already answered.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When it comes to protecting the innocent, and national security, I want both, which I've already answered.
Which would you say is the most important if you had one or the other?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15   #169
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Which would you say is the most important if you had one or the other?
Irrelevant.

That's like saying which do you want more in a war, the navy or the army?

We should be using everything in our power to fight this evil, and that means an adequate security service, and detention without charge, if needed.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:18   #170
God Member

Quote:
Irrelevant.

That's like saying which do you want more in a war, the navy or the army?

We should be using everything in our power to fight this evil, and that means an adequate security service, and detention without charge, if needed.
Not irrelevant at all. Quite relevant. Now, which is the most important of the two, security information or increased detention to 42 days?

You're sounding more and more like a politician every time you refuse to answer!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:18   #171

Quote:
Perhaps your views are a little coloured, and prejudiced.

You said in another thread, and I quote.

'Starting a war against something as vague as "terrorism" is a little absurd!'
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tml#post535578

It probably doesn't seem vague to the two little children who live in our town, and whose mother was killed by the London bus bomb.
Yeah, to CHILDREN. You know what else doesn't seem vague to children? Why, when faced with a budget cut, Thatcher would take their milk and invest in primary schools. Would you rather have milk or a quality school? To an adult the answer is obvious. Why the hell would you consider a child's opinion politically valid? Have you ever seen Newsround? "I wish all the bad people would stop being bad and be good and then the world would be good."

Just as in business, the management of a country should not be entirely driven by empathy and love and bunny rabbits with little hearts above their heads. The death of 20-odd during 7/7 should not mean we turn into a nation of cowards. Similarly, the death of 100 soldiers in Afghanistan is not an argument for us never to have invaded.

I stand by my statement. Fighting an idea is stupid. A physical fight is against a nation or a group of people. Terrorism is a method - and idea. We may as well be going to war against "being a meanie" or "not sharing".
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:20   #172
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not irrelevant at all. Quite relevant. Now, which is the most important of the two, security information or increased detention to 42 days?

You're sounding more and more like a politician every time you refuse to answer!
I've answered.

I want both, and there's no earthly reason not to have both, now the Conservative's soft approach to terrorism has been thankfully quashed.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:21   #173
God Member

Quote:
I've answered.

I want both, and there's no earthly reason not to have both, now the Conservative's soft approach to terrorism has been thankfully quashed.
So you agree that having less security information would be a bad thing?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:21   #174
God Member

Quote:
When it comes to protecting the innocent, and safeguarding national security, I want both, which I've already answered.
I would say they are the same thing, we are innocent and not a threat to national security!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:25   #175
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
Why the hell would you consider a child's opinion politically valid?
Well, that's reached new heights of crassness.

The opinions and feelings of children who have lost a mother to terrorism, and those of their surviving parent, are very valid.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:27   #176
God Member

Quote:
Yeah, to CHILDREN. You know what else doesn't seem vague to children? Why, when faced with a budget cut, Thatcher would take their milk and invest in primary schools. Would you rather have milk or a quality school? To an adult the answer is obvious. Why the hell would you consider a child's opinion politically valid? Have you ever seen Newsround? "I wish all the bad people would stop being bad and be good and then the world would be good."

Just as in business, the management of a country should not be entirely driven by empathy and love and bunny rabbits with little hearts above their heads. The death of 20-odd during 7/7 should not mean we turn into a nation of cowards. Similarly, the death of 100 soldiers in Afghanistan is not an argument for us never to have invaded.

I stand by my statement. Fighting an idea is stupid. A physical fight is against a nation or a group of people. Terrorism is a method - and idea. We may as well be going to war against "being a meanie" or "not sharing".
I am quite right-wing in matters of opinion, but you just come across as quite a nasty person Each post seems like an attack rather than a discussion, and I have been offended by things you have said more than once. I don't think you are doing us any favours by being so hard to talk to.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27   #177
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So you agree that having less security information would be a bad thing?
You'll never make a politician.

Well not a very successful one, if you insist on flogging the horse when it's already dead and buried.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:29   #178
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I am quite right-wing in matters of opinion, but you just come across as quite a nasty person Each post seems like an attack rather than a discussion, and I have been offended by things you have said more than once. I don't think you are doing us any favours by being so hard to talk to.
I take it by 'us' you mean young Conservatives?

I quite agree, he's certainly not.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:32   #179
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Here's some more rope.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:32   #180
God Member

Quote:
You'll never make a politician.

Well not a very successful one, if you insist on flogging the horse when it's already dead and buried.
You're just avoiding questions.

So yes having less security information would be bad.

Do you think detaining people without charge for an period extended to 42 days without any evidence to justify it ( as you have already conceded) is going to make the Muslim community more likely to be helpful or less?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..