Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 18:53   #1156
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, no...but it does rather get away from the fact that a market hall is a place where trade is supposed to take place......not Art exhibitions.

Soon, it will be a great empty space that will be entirely devoted to Art...or what passes for it.
That I totally agree with.

For well over a century, it's served the purpose for which it was designed, very well. That being to house commercial enterprises, a 'market'.

The space has now been liberated, hadn't you heard?

Liberating Empty Terrain launches in Hyndburn | Creativity Works

Bye-bye a place where people can make an honest living, by flogging stuff others are prepared to part with hard earned dosh for, and hello to state funded egg cosies.

Don't get me started...

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2011, 08:12   #1157
Common Sense Member

We had a meeting yesterday regarding the Royal Wedding celebrations for Hyndburn and the Market Hall came up.

The plans are quite impressive to be fair but Cllr Malcolm Pritchard pointed out the one vital thing missing in the town centre was somewhere to actually watch the event on television. He put forward the Town Hall but this was ruled out on grounds of cost so I suggested the Market Hall as it is going to be open anyway, something which surprisingly was not rejected out of hand.

I also suggested that since the outdoor market is going to be pushed during the celebrations it would be as well to fill up the stalls inside and show it off to the full whilst the town centre is busy. They seemed quite concerned that if too many stalls were full it wouldn't leave room for the Morris dancers or the big screen. Re-opening Peel Street toilets was also mentioned by Cllr Pritchard but this is only 'being considered' at the moment as the Market Hall will be open.

I give up.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20   #1158
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
We had a meeting yesterday regarding the Royal Wedding celebrations for Hyndburn and the Market Hall came up.

The plans are quite impressive to be fair but Cllr Malcolm Pritchard pointed out the one vital thing missing in the town....
Excitement?

Interest?

I bet much more pressing is complete apathy, regarding this wedding. Rather than a lack of venue, to watch Wills take her up the aisle.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20   #1159
Beacon of light

Quote:
I give up.

Please don't do that Ken....the town really needs someone with a sense of purpose.......and the interests of the common man at heart.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24   #1160
Beacon of light

I really can't see folk turning out to the Market hall to watch the Wedding.......why would you do that when you could be at home in a comfy chair with a brew( a good one) and a choccy biscuit in your mitt??

In my mind, this public junketing for the wedding is misplaced when we are in such dire financial straits.....and it smacks of a 'we're doing it better than you attitude'........or am I on my own in these cynical thoughts?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:28   #1161
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Excitement?

Interest?

I bet much more pressing is complete apathy, regarding this wedding. Rather than a lack of venue, to watch Wills take her up the aisle.

Quote:
I really can't see folk turning out to the Market hall to watch the Wedding.......why would you do that when you could be at home in a comfy chair with a brew( a good one) and a choccy biscuit in your mitt??

In my mind, this public junketing for the wedding is misplaced when we are in such dire financial straits.....and it smacks of a 'we're doing it better than you attitude'........or am I on my own in these cynical thoughts?
I'm on this team

Complete waste of taxpayers money
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31   #1162
Beacon of light

Hooray, that makes three of us against it all then.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:32   #1163
Common Sense Member

Quote:

I'm not entirely against it and there's a good effort being made to celebrate a one-off event which I hope the local shopkeepers and publicans will capitalise on but this has been a purely Conservative drive and all opposition councillors have been kept out of the loop completely until yesterday. It is far too late to stop what they have put in motion and costings for much of the festivities were remarkably scant so our only option now is to hope for the borough's sake that it isn't a damp squib.

The whole thing does have an underlying whiff of vote-grabbing though as six days later we'll all have to decide who is doing a better job of running the borough in the local elections.

The only thing is that The Observer will come out on the evening of the vote so the Leader of the Council will have to do some serious buttering up of the Lancashire Telegraph that week.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:33   #1164
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I'm on this team

Haven't you business owners applied to have have the street closed yet, for the Peel Street street party?

Don't leave it too late.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:37   #1165
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I'm on this team

I can't deny that I'd have gone for a more subtle borough-wide approach but you have to remember who is in charge and how many photographs will need taking. Everyone who is getting married on 29th April gets their photo taken by the council, one presumes with the Leader.

An initiative is being rolled out to help people set up street parties in their own wards, something I am more in favour of and which I haven't seen since the wedding of Charles and Diana.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:38   #1166
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well they can always nip upstairs fer a pee, if they stage this waste of money in the market hall.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44   #1167
Give, give, give member

I suspect, if pushed, most folks would wish them well, after so many disastrous marriages in that particular family.

As for civic celebrations, the days of referential joy at occasions such as this, have long past.

Anyone interested will watch the box at home, or look at pictures of the nuptials in Hello, or Heat.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44   #1168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Haven't you business owners applied to have have the street closed yet, for the Peel Street street party?

Don't leave it too late.

The council already made closing Peel St a work in progress issue a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47   #1169
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Everyone who is getting married on 29th April gets their photo taken by the council, one presumes with the Leader.
Ken, will you marry me?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:48   #1170
Resting in Peace

So while we are all having street parties, some little yobs are nipping over your back wall to see what is on offer
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..