Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 08:48   #1171
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

On the occasions that I visit the market hall it is because I want to shop, those occasions have been very rare of late.
If we are to have a nationwide lock-out forcing we common folk out of work for the day, I won't be anywhere near the Market hall, a TV or anyone with half a mind that is celebrating this.
OOps, addendum to last sentence:-
I won't be anywhere near the Market hall, a TV or anyone that is even half inclined to celebrate this.

Well, actually comparing the two sentences I'll go for Number 1.

Rest assured though when I do go for number 1 it won't be in the Market Hall or even their bogs.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2011, 08:51   #1172
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
On the occasions that I visit the market hall it is because I want to shop, those occasions have been very rare of late.
If we are to have a nationwide lock-out forcing we common folk out of work for the day, I won't be anywhere near the Market hall, a TV or anyone with half a mind that is celebrating this.

oh yes you will the Railway is not that far from the Market and they have plenty of TV sets in there
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54   #1173
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Ken, will you marry me?

Regrettably for you, I conferred that honour on another Hyndburn resident some time ago and the post doesn't show any signs of becoming vacant.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55   #1174
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The council already made closing Peel St a work in progress issue a couple of weeks ago.
Talking of the struggles faced by small businesses.

It's been decreed that this marriage means an extra bank holiday. Which means another holiday with pay, but also one less days trading to pay for it.

However, the Queen has decided not to give the thousands of royal staff in the country the day off.

So the gift shop at the Castle of Mey will be open that day, for anyone who happens to be passing, who wants a commerative tea towel.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:57   #1175
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
oh yes you will the Railway is not that far from the Market and they have plenty of TV sets in there
Bound to be a footy match on, if not, there is gold radio, plus by then it should be warm enough to smoke outside, I can bring some wire cutters to make sure we don't have to listen to the speakers outside.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58   #1176
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Regrettably for you, I conferred that honour on another Hyndburn resident some time ago and the post doesn't show any signs of becoming vacant.
Shame.

You don't ask, you don't get.

Plus I always wanted a novelty bridesmaid.

Back to the drawing board.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00   #1177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We had a meeting yesterday regarding the Royal Wedding celebrations for Hyndburn and the Market Hall came up.

The plans are quite impressive to be fair but Cllr Malcolm Pritchard pointed out the one vital thing missing in the town centre was somewhere to actually watch the event on television. He put forward the Town Hall but this was ruled out on grounds of cost so I suggested the Market Hall as it is going to be open anyway, something which surprisingly was not rejected out of hand.

I also suggested that since the outdoor market is going to be pushed during the celebrations it would be as well to fill up the stalls inside and show it off to the full whilst the town centre is busy. They seemed quite concerned that if too many stalls were full it wouldn't leave room for the Morris dancers or the big screen. Re-opening Peel Street toilets was also mentioned by Cllr Pritchard but this is only 'being considered' at the moment as the Market Hall will be open.

I give up.
Stick in there Ken, I'm right behind you on the toilet issue
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03   #1178
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I really can't see folk turning out to the Market hall to watch the Wedding.......why would you do that when you could be at home in a comfy chair with a brew( a good one) and a choccy biscuit in your mitt??

In my mind, this public junketing for the wedding is misplaced when we are in such dire financial straits.....and it smacks of a 'we're doing it better than you attitude'........or am I on my own in these cynical thoughts?
Sat in a chair at home with your feet up Margaret, I'll defo be doing that, the only differences is I WON'T be watching the wedding, weddings bring back to unhappy memories to me
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04   #1179
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Ken, will you marry me?

Can I be best man
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06   #1180
God Member

Quote:
and costings for much of the festivities were remarkably scant

The sad thing is the council are prepared to shell out for this yet I've heard rumours that the carnival is in danger of being scrapped this year due to extra road closure costs
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24   #1181
Common Sense Member

Quote:
The sad thing is the council are prepared to shell out for this yet I've heard rumours that the carnival is in danger of being scrapped this year due to extra road closure costs
Yet there are road closures involved for the Royal Wedding celebrations. Is the carnival before or after the elections?

Let me guess.....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30   #1182
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yet there are road closures involved for the Royal Wedding celebrations. Is the carnival before or after the elections?

Let me guess.....
After
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41   #1183
God Member

Quote:

Let me guess.....
Why are there road closures for the Royal Wedding Surely they aren't expecting so many people to be in Accrington that day???
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44   #1184
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Why are there road closures for the Royal Wedding Surely they aren't expecting so many people to be in Accrington that day???

They are closing the toilets at Westminster Abbey that day, all guests have to use the new improved Market Hall toilets
Old 11-02-2011, 09:45   #1185
Senior Member+

Quote:
The carnival comes a bit too late for him.I don't know what the situation is, but but you'd hope it would still be on. Part of Accrington's tradition.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..