Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46   #1186
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
They are closing the toilets at Westminster Abbey that day, all guests have to use the new improved Market Hall toilets
There will be one private closet there, just for the Royal Wee.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48   #1187
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Why are there road closures for the Royal Wedding Surely they aren't expecting so many people to be in Accrington that day???
Blackburn Road is being closed plus the road between the Castle pub and the Arndale Centre car park in order to accommodate a fireworks display.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56   #1188
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Blackburn Road is being closed plus the road between the Castle pub and the Arndale Centre car park in order to accommodate a fireworks display.
They could scrub the fireworks, and do as they did in '77, for the Jubilee, and have a bonfire.

Burning other peoples' money's great fun.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:05   #1189
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
There will be one private closet there, just for the Royal Wee.
Oh, the endless jokes one could make about a Queen coming out of the closet.

Or even bigger ones about public toilets being shut during a town festival.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:01   #1190
Senior Member+

I've got an idea for a Scaitcliffe Street party.

The Councillors could sit outside eating their sandwiches and sausage rolls, courtesy of Councillor Hurn.

There would be no extra cost involved, because it would just be the same as any other Friday..........

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54   #1191
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sat in a chair at home with your feet up Margaret, I'll defo be doing that, the only differences is I WON'T be watching the wedding, weddings bring back to unhappy memories to me
John.....I said that was what people could do.........I didn't say I would be doing it..........while I appreciate these are historic occasions, with lots of pomp and glitter....... It really isn't me.

I will probably be in front of my computer screen......happily whiling away the time until the country returns to some sort of normality.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 14:41   #1192
God Member

Quote:
We had a meeting yesterday regarding the Royal Wedding celebrations for Hyndburn and the Market Hall came up.

The plans are quite impressive to be fair but Cllr Malcolm Pritchard pointed out the one vital thing missing in the town centre was somewhere to actually watch the event on television. He put forward the Town Hall but this was ruled out on grounds of cost so I suggested the Market Hall as it is going to be open anyway, something which surprisingly was not rejected out of hand.

I also suggested that since the outdoor market is going to be pushed during the celebrations it would be as well to fill up the stalls inside and show it off to the full whilst the town centre is busy. They seemed quite concerned that if too many stalls were full it wouldn't leave room for the Morris dancers or the big screen. Re-opening Peel Street toilets was also mentioned by Cllr Pritchard but this is only 'being considered' at the moment as the Market Hall will be open.

I give up.

This is a wind up .......correct...? If not, will the big screen be in HD....?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 15:40   #1193
God Member

Quote:
I am more in favour of and which I haven't seen since the wedding of Charles and Diana.

you where 3 years and 10 days old when they got married...and you remember it?? kin ell
Old 11-02-2011, 16:34   #1194
God Member

Quote:
so I suggested the Market Hall as it is going to be open anyway, something which surprisingly was not rejected out of hand.

I've spoken to several people today involved with the Market, and they are all under the impression that as it's a Bank Holiday they will all be off that day
Old 11-02-2011, 16:44   #1195
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I've spoken to several people today involved with the Market, and they are all under the impression that as it's a Bank Holiday they will all be off that day
Well, I read that it will be a day off for all except the queens staff, so market traders are under a higher dominion than even we imagined, does she call around on a Wednesday? No wonder their views are superseded!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 16:44   #1196
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Entry might be restricted to arty farty types, wandering minstrels, a few mummers, and ardent royalists.

It is a leading arts venue, after all.

Old 11-02-2011, 16:46   #1197
Beacon of light

Quote:
Seems as if someone has other plans for them.........but at least they will be able to watch the junket on a specially set up TV screen....while PB and MH sit with their slippers on, in their own armchairs....and laugh up their sleeves at the 'working mugs' in the Market Hall.

But then again, knowing how PB likes his picture taking.......maybe not...he might be dashing from wedding to wedding....hope he doesn't get sick off Wedding cake.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 17:08   #1198
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
you where 3 years and 10 days old when they got married...and you remember it?? kin ell
I do actually!

I remember sitting on a bench in front of trestle tables and noticing while we were eating that the copper dome off the tower of the old foundry in Bamber Bridge was missing (it later became the roof of a new bandstand). There were also Union Flag plastic bags with a little cup inside from somewhere. I also remember being given some disgusting fish paste butties by a neighbour which put me off for life.

I'll attribute this incident to my overwhelming desire to seek out anything fishy and get rid of it.

Old 11-02-2011, 17:19   #1199
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I've got an idea for a Scaitcliffe Street party.

The Councillors could sit outside eating their sandwiches and sausage rolls, courtesy of Councillor Hurn.

There would be no extra cost involved, because it would just be the same as any other Friday..........

It could just be a coincidence, but ever since this subject was raised on KenWeb there have been no butties at lunchtime committee meetings, even yesterday for The Leader.

I also note plans to reduce the buffet spending by £1,000 in the budget....

Old 11-02-2011, 17:23   #1200
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I do actually!

I remember sitting on a bench in front of trestle tables and noticing while we were eating that the copper dome off the tower of the old foundry in Bamber Bridge was missing (it later became the roof of a new bandstand). There were also Union Flag plastic bags with a little cup inside from somewhere. I also remember being given some disgusting fish paste butties by a neighbour which put me off for life.

I'll attribute this incident to my overwhelming desire to seek out anything fishy and get rid of it.
I only wanted to see her dress. I was awaiting my O-level results, and needing at least six to go to art school to study fashion, I wanted a nose at what the Emanuels had come up with. (Creases, as it turned out.)

I watched it on the beach in St. Tropez, but got trapped by a topless hefty German woman. I was pinned in by the Bavarian Forest Mountain Range.

I am now a confirmed republican, and still in therapy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..