Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27   #406
Resting in Peace

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Eye eye Sherlock on the job
Old 01-11-2010, 16:02   #407
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
That is a rather apocalyptic sounding statement Ken. Are you suggesting that the Conservative Group on HBC are preparing to act in a way that would cause damage the Borough in order to secure some sort of political advantage? Or am I misreading you? Perhaps you could expand a little on your theme.
Peter Britcliffe has something which is called the Cabinet Action Fund, a pot of money ringfenced for whatever the Leader of the Council sees fit to spend it on. In previous years it has been around the £60k mark but this year has been upped to £100k and the spending allowance for the controlling group as a whole has been increased by around £690k. The official figures suggest that there has been a £1.9m saving in the past year but most of that is made up from a VAT rebate and not a saving at all.

Just glance at The Accrington Observer each week and see how many cheques are being handed out by the Conservative councillors on a regular basis, and that is only the ones in the public eye. I have requested a full breakdown of this mystical fund since 1999 and not had the figures yet but it is not audited and no receipts have to be provided.

It is a shocking way to be accounting for the borough's money and not one Conservative councillor opposes it. It places a huge sum of money in the hands of one man, it cannot be right whatever party is in control.

Jaysay, before you even think about the old Blair & Brown routine, I couldn't give a toss about Westminster's previous mistakes. This is something I can actually do in Hyndburn, I would desperately like to cut all the wasteful spending on our own doorstep and it would be so easy to do.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:03   #408
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Eye eye Sherlock on the job
You're damn right I am....

Old 01-11-2010, 16:10   #409
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
That is a rather apocalyptic sounding statement Ken. Are you suggesting that the Conservative Group on HBC are preparing to act in a way that would cause damage the Borough in order to secure some sort of political advantage? Or am I misreading you? Perhaps you could expand a little on your theme.
The political landscape is shifting in Hyndburn and there is the very real possibility of the Conservatives losing control completely next May in the local elections. They are well aware of this and so are spending everything they can while they can which is why little pet projects in places such as Baxenden (see bye-election next month...) are very publicly getting handouts to sweeten the voters.

Whoever wins next May loses.

If the Tories retain control they can trot out the old faithful '13 years of Labour rule' tripe having bankrupted the borough despite having had 11 years in control in Hyndburn and telling us at every opportunity (minus 2003 but that always gets forgotten).

If Labour win then there will be nothing in the pot and the council will be financially screwed leading to hideous cuts, not all of which would be necessary if a bit of prudency was exercised right now. However, this will enable Peter Britcliffe to stand up in public and decry Labour's savagery and again trot out the line about '13 years of Labour rule' leading to the state of the borough.

Hyndburn needs to make cuts now, the Tories have control now and yet are throwing money away. Do something about it on polling day.

Please.

Old 01-11-2010, 17:45   #410
Resting in Peace

I've always wondered why Labour have all the answers in opposition, yet cock everything up big style, at every level, when in power, talking is cheap and nothing is cheaper than a Labour politician's that keep cheeping
Old 01-11-2010, 17:53   #411
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've always wondered why Labour have all the answers in opposition, yet cock everything up big style, at every level, when in power, talking is cheap and nothing is cheaper than a Labour politician's that keep cheeping
It's also cheap, because party loyalty prevents it, for being able to say when something is wrong. Irrespective of who's done it.

Talking of cheap, and therefore costs, anyone know yet how much funding the community art project the Victorian Swimming Gala, is costing us?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:05   #412
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The political landscape is shifting in Hyndburn .
What does that phrase mean , and is there evidence to confirm it ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:10   #413
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
It actualy means JCB, that if you call a cow a pig long enough people start to believe you
Old 01-11-2010, 18:12   #414
Common Sense Member

Quote:
'Cheeping'...now there's one of Peter's words if ever I heard it, which I have several times from his mouth.

All I'm talking is common sense - don't carp on about Labour's bad spending and then keep quiet about Hyndburn Conservatives doing the same thing.

Old 01-11-2010, 18:12   #415
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Think someone might be digging up PB's garden ! Wonder how many skellietons they'll find
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:16   #416
Common Sense Member

Quote:
As I've said before, why not ask your cousin, Cllr Dobson? The Conservative majority can barely be called that now and even Peter Britcliffe is alleged to have said that time is running out. It doesn't matter who is in control next year, the financial situation will still be the same for Hyndburn's public services.

That should worry you and if it doesn't then think about it again.

Old 01-11-2010, 18:19   #417
Resting in Peace

Quote:
'Cheeping'...now there's one of Peter's words if ever I heard it, which I have several times from his mouth.

All I'm talking is common sense - don't carp on about Labour's bad spending and then keep quiet about Hyndburn Conservatives doing the same thing.
Well there's only you keeps saying they are,
Old 01-11-2010, 18:19   #418
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The inability not to see what's under their nose, for some is quite an art form.

Talking of art.

A few rolls of blue chiffon, some bunting, and a few thespians in jersey knit suits and mop caps.

How much?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:20   #419
JCB

Quote:
It actualy means JCB, that if you call a cow a pig long enough people start to believe you
I'll remember that when I next get a piece of beef and fancy pork instead .

Shades of George Orwell's " 1984 " .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:24   #420
Resting in Peace

Quote:
As I've said before, why not ask your cousin, Cllr Dobson? The Conservative majority can barely be called that now and even Peter Britcliffe is alleged to have said that time is running out. It doesn't matter who is in control next year, the financial situation will still be the same for Hyndburn public services.

That should worry you and if it doesn't then think about it again.
Its always the same after a change of government Ken, in 1997 when Labour won the GE, Labour had a 41 seat majority on HBC, 44 labour 3 Conservative councillors was the make up on a 47 seat council, by 1999 they'd lost control

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..