Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2010, 21:30   #316
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
And I'm off to eat and watch a scary movie ...which will be negated after this thread.. LOL.

In the meantime, have thoughts on how you would tempt people into the centre. Only fair ...at least A-B did try.
If you weren't so fixated in defending your mate in this thread you would have seen that I have started another thread in which I have offered my services in a scheme that would be just as useless as anything proposed as 'art', the only difference is, mine will cost the people of Hyndburn nothing in funds and will be slightly less embarrassing than someone swimming the length of Broadway.

Please do check the site before you make such sweeping remarks!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2010, 21:36   #317
God Member

Quote:
In the meantime, have thoughts on how you would tempt people into the centre.
I'm sure it's been answered loads of times. Make it more attractive for people to occupy the shops, also making sure it isn't just filled with certain types of shops. Whover gave planning permission for the upsurge in bookies in the centre needs shooting to start with.

Secondary option, stop Transdev running the X41 to Manchester
Old 30-10-2010, 22:15   #318
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While some dancing is an art......Ballet, cultural(as in Hungarian, Russian, or Balinese)...but 'Flashmob'...don't think it quite makes it...well not for me anyway.

And while these events don't have to be linked to our heritage, wouldn't it be much better if they were? opinion, you understand.
Of course . would be lovely if it were all connected to our Heritage .. no one is denying this .. but not what this thread is all about really.

Have you any idea how much technique is involved in becoming a modern dancer ... even a good Flash Mob dancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't mind buskers...they are individual. Like the chap who plays foot tapping music in the centre of Manchester........I like the pavement artists....again can be seen in Manchester...their skill is amazing.
None of this is contrived, and it costs what the passer by is willing to give
Yes, but Manchester is a cash rich city, and they are not daft ... know any donations will be ample .. try persuading them to beg in Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If you weren't so fixated in defending your mate in this thread you would have seen that I have started another thread in which I have offered my services in a scheme that would be just as useless as anything proposed as 'art', the only difference is, mine will cost the people of Hyndburn nothing in funds and will be slightly less embarrassing than someone swimming the length of Broadway.

Please do check the site before you make such sweeping remarks!
Again, please don't put any spin on by describing Gayle as 'my mate' ... we are friendly, yes, but not close friends, and would not defend any close friends anyway if I did not agree with them.

Yes, have looked at your post ... trying to make sense of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I'm sure it's been answered loads of times. Make it more attractive for people to occupy the shops, also making sure it isn't just filled with certain types of shops. Whover gave planning permission for the upsurge in bookies in the centre needs shooting to start with.

Secondary option, stop Transdev running the X41 to Manchester
Interesting Dave .. more attractive .. what do you suggest then ?

Bookies .. well, is a fact that more people are gambling due to recession .. can't blame them for jumping on the band wagon, and HBC renting out one of their shops rather than empty.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 22:19   #319
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its not rocket science yeh have more chance of attracting decent shops with less extortionate rents, thats a starting point.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:25   #320

Quote:

Yes, have looked at your post ... trying to make sense of it.

Of course you are dear, it is in an art form beyond your comprehension, perhaps you should have paid attention at infant school then not only would you have put the coloured dots onto the paper you would have learnt the rich tapestry of all that is abstract.

The trick is not to look too deeply, like an organised impromptu dance it means nothing.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:27   #321
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
its not rocket science yeh have more chance of attracting decent shops with less extortionate rents, thats a starting point.

Mmmm . not so sure Cashy. Sure our rents to the big high street shops are just a drop in The Ocean.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:31   #322
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Of course you are dear, it is in an art form beyond your comprehension, perhaps you should have paid attention at infant school then not only would you have put the coloured dots onto the paper you would have learnt the rich tapestry of all that is abstract.

The trick is not to look too deeply, like an organised impromptu dance it means nothing.
The dance is not impromptu ... please keep up.

Will ignore your personal insult as usual ...
Old 30-10-2010, 22:32   #323
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Mmmm . not so sure Cashy. Sure our rents to the big high street shops are just a drop in The Ocean.
i'm sure unless the traders i know are telling porkies.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:32   #324
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Which brings us neatly back to the Market Hall, and the Liberating Empty Terrain project.

Which until very recently wasn't empty at all, pre-refurbishment.

It was space taken up by people actually flogging stuff for a living. To people prepared to fork for whatever it was they were selling.

The empty space was liberated, and filled by a person paid to make wooly caterpillars.

We are told this is 'community art'.

Give me a white flag.

Let's all surrender.

We've been liberated.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 22:34   #325
God Member

Quote:

Interesting Dave .. more attractive .. what do you suggest then ?

Bookies .. well, is a fact that more people are gambling due to recession .. can't blame them for jumping on the band wagon, and HBC renting out one of their shops rather than empty.
Attractive = lower rents & rates

I don't think HBC own any of the shops in Broadway or Union St/ Arndale Centre but they can stop change of use. It also means they don't dictate the rents but I'm sure they could put pressure on the landlords of the properties to do something.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:41   #326

Quote:

Will ignore your personal insult as usual ...
The idea is supposed to be.

and as mentioned by a previous poster, for the sake of anonymity, we'll call him rindy, it is something like 10 years out of date,(do keep up).

Please don't ignore any insult from me personal or otherwise, how else can I claim that my existence has a meaning if not to bring you down a peg or twelve?
If I didn't you would become completely unbearable!
Old 30-10-2010, 22:41   #327
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Attractive = lower rents & rates

I don't think HBC own any of the shops in Broadway or Union St/ Arndale Centre but they can stop change of use. It also means they don't dictate the rents but I'm sure they could put pressure on the landlords of the properties to do something.
Quote:
they could never do that, would spoil kates blinkers.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:41   #328
God Member

I forgot to say also that unless the demographics of the town are changed then any attempts to 'improve' the twon centre's attraction will be a complete waste of time and money. Nobody is going to rush to come here while the centre is full of lets say, more than it's fair share of undesirables roaming around in a very confined space.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:47   #329
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I forgot to say also that unless the demographics of the town are changed then any attempts to 'improve' the twon centre's attraction will be a complete waste of time and money. Nobody is going to rush to come here while the centre is full of lets say, more than it's fair share of undesirables roaming around in a very confined space.
more still when Flashmob comes to town.
Old 30-10-2010, 22:52   #330
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It is, or is supposed to be. That is the all point.

Someone posts a video on a website, with information to descend en masse, at so and so place, on such a day. They are informed that at exactly whatever time, they all do the pre-arranged act, then vanish again, back into the nowhere land.

It was supposedly an act of people power, and as such could be described as a happening, and concievably art.

That's when it was new, and modern, and cost nothing. Ten years ago.

Before it became a bit passe, and used to flog phones, and now that you have to spend a grand, to get someone in, to make it happen.

It certainly didn't need...

'much technique is involved in becoming a modern dancer ... even a good Flash Mob dancer.'

Even those at the scene, who were unaware what was happening, joined in, and did as others around them did.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..