Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 15:52   #511
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I have just been informed that Area Councils have no intention of paying anyone to switch on any Christmas lights in Hyndburn.
Poor Vicky Entwistle.

She did the ones in Ossy the other year, and could probably have done with the wonga, now she's leaving Corrie.

Still, I always be here for her. Her first love, from Sunday school.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2010, 18:01   #512
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Poor Vicky Entwistle.

She did the ones in Ossy the other year, and could probably have done with the wonga, now she's leaving Corrie.

Still, I always be here for her. Her first love, from Sunday school.

Ah the good old days G the good old days
Old 03-11-2010, 18:07   #513
God Member

Rather than urinate money away on paying for some z-rate celebrity to switch on the Christmas lights, why don't we get some of the old boys from the local Royal British Legion to switch 'em on? Maybe combine them with a couple of local young lads from the D o L's who have just got back from Afgan?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 19:53   #514
Resting in Peace

I have just voted and, of course, in favour of public funding for the arts... has already suffered under the cuts anyway.

Let's knock it on the head, shall we ? Nothing to our Institutions like the wonderful Science Museums, Galleries, British Museum and not forgetting smaller projects throughout the country of theatres and history museums of our lost industrial efforts, which are beyond the Metropolis of London.

We will now have to charge people for entering these establishments, so the poorer in our society will find it difficult if children in tow ... affecting the poorer.

Rely on patrons ... restricting their innovative artistic ability as they will have to feel restricted to remain in conservative gear.

Who will stroll into Haworth Art Gallery knowing there will be an entry fee ?

Ok ... next. Should we support Sports ?

Yes, I still would, even though (apart from swimming pools.. don't want our kids drowning in the local cut), can't see any advantage that a 20 minute walk wouldn't do to our health and safety.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 19:55   #515
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Publicly funded art - the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When some over worked council employee has scurried about long enough, and supplied the information people want to know, thanks to the Freedom of Information Act.....
At least that over worked employee should have a fairly safe job in these iffy times
Old 03-11-2010, 20:19   #516
Beacon of light

I do not mind paying to go into an art gallery or a museum...because I have the choice.......If I can't afford it, then I can't go in.......that doesn't stop it being available for those who do have the money and want to spend it in such a manner.(which is, in effect an illustration of an observation I made much earlier.....you don't go to the pictures when you need to pay the rent or buy bread).

I would have been very surprised had you voted against the value of public art, as you have vociferously defended it.

It seems that the crux of the matter is that people feel that the money that could feasibly be used for other things, and at a time when money is in short supply the planned events seem to find little public favour.

There appears to have been no public consultation over the type of events to promote the town......maybe consultation would have had logistical problems...I don't know.

I have said all I want to on this subject, and feel that it is exhausted now. I will contribute nothing further to this thread.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 20:40   #517
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I do not mind paying to go into an art
Exactly .. you can afford it... lucky you.

There appears to have been no public consultation over the type of events to promote the town......maybe consultation would have had logistical problems...I don't know.

Would have cost more than the actual event. We vote (well, not you) people into power to make these decisions for us and, in turn, engage the employees to carry our certain tasks. Blooming Hek ..can you imagine the cost of all projects throughout Hyndburn if we had to seek pubic opinion ?

I have said all I want to on this subject, and feel that it is exhausted now. I will contribute nothing further to this thread.
Do you have that statement on copy and paste ?
Old 03-11-2010, 20:48   #518
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I do not mind paying to go into an art gallery or a museum...because I have the choice.......If I can't afford it, then I can't go in.......that doesn't stop it being available for those who do have the money and want to spend it in such a manner.(which is, in effect an illustration of an observation I made much earlier.....you don't go to the pictures when you need to pay the rent or buy bread).
sorry Kate thats not what she said at all, no need to get bitchy about it, yeh would make a good politician, there good at twisting things.
Old 03-11-2010, 21:05   #519
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
At least that over worked employee should have a fairly safe job in these iffy times
Who told you that?

The same friend, or have you two?

'AN East Lancashire council is considering mergers, reviewing job vacancies and delaying start dates for new employees to save vital funds'.

'Hyndburn Council is in discussions after it was revealed it must save over £4million in three years due to Government funding cuts.'
We?re in the dark: town hall staff fears over cuts (From This Is Lancashire)

Old 03-11-2010, 21:15   #520
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I have just voted and, of course, in favour of public funding for the arts... has already suffered under the cuts anyway.
As usual, Katex, you are all confused. No one here is arguing about reintroducing admission charges for public galleries and museums; after all, the last time that was tried the cost of administering the admission fees worked out greater than the revenue collected.

The issue is about public money being sometimes spent on commissioning what is hilariously called 'art' and the simple litmus test is would you as an individual fork out lots of money (if you had it) to have something hung over the fireplace next to the ducks. I have no doubt that if you had a couple of million to spare you would quite happily place a Pre-Raphaelite Millais or Rossetti up there but I doubt if you would stick Tracey Emmin's tent on the wall.

That same principle applies to those entrusted with the public purse and the decisions made in spending money on our behalf on art works. You can be an idiot and recognise rubbish so why can't these people who sign the cheque book?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 03-11-2010 at 21:20.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 21:17   #521
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
sorry Kate thats not what she said at all, no need to get bitchy about it, yeh would make a good politician, there good at twisting things.
Not quite sure how you see I have twisted this, Cashy. Public funded art has made it free to view .. and, if not in place, with lack of funds will not give certain sections of our society the freedom to do this.

Your use of the wordy 'bitchy' is extremely deriding and sexist... I like to think that Margaret and I have crossed opinions on here many times, but always have respect and likening for each other.
Old 03-11-2010, 21:33   #522
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'm sure this one person, out of the hundreds of people who are in the employ of H.B.C., will sleep more soundly in their bed tonight, now that you've passed on this prophecy regarding their job safety.

Not for them, the very real worry that the cuts, that WILL be made, will result in the termination of employment.

I posted it earlier, but I've often repeated myself on here before, so what the heck...

Nero fiddled, whilst Rome burned.

Accrington made things out of wool, funded by the council tax payer, whilst the borough faced the biggest financial crisis, and savage cuts, in living memory.

In my opinion only a fool would think this a worthy, and valuable, use of expenditure.

Old 03-11-2010, 21:38   #523
God Member

what a very bitchy thread this has turned out to be
Old 03-11-2010, 21:40   #524
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I would have been very surprised had you voted against the value of public art, as you have vociferously defended it.

It seems that the crux of the matter is that people feel that the money that could feasibly be used for other things, and at a time when money is in short supply the planned events seem to find little public favour.

So you wouldn't want to shop in a state funded fashion store?

I believe the Chinese did it, under Chairman Mao.

Ok it may have been a little drab, but there were some nice collar details on those little suits.

State funded woolcraft.

Not that much difference, except you can't really wear a wooly caterpillar, that successfully.

Old 03-11-2010, 21:42   #525
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I do not mind paying to go into an art
Exactly .. you can afford it... lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not quite sure how you see I have twisted this, Cashy. Public funded art has made it free to view .. and, if not in place, with lack of funds will not give certain sections of our society the freedom to do this.

Your use of the wordy 'bitchy' is extremely deriding and sexist... I like to think that Margaret and I have crossed opinions on here many times, but always have respect and likening for each other.
above what ya added in red is how i see it kate, as fer bitchy being deriding n sexist it aint meant that way at all, its how i talk, as i think ya well know, so to me by using that yer twisting it again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..