View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 21:40   #524
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I do not mind paying to go into an art gallery or a museum...because I have the choice.......If I can't afford it, then I can't go in.......that doesn't stop it being available for those who do have the money and want to spend it in such a manner.(which is, in effect an illustration of an observation I made much earlier.....you don't go to the pictures when you need to pay the rent or buy bread).

I would have been very surprised had you voted against the value of public art, as you have vociferously defended it.

It seems that the crux of the matter is that people feel that the money that could feasibly be used for other things, and at a time when money is in short supply the planned events seem to find little public favour.

There appears to have been no public consultation over the type of events to promote the town......maybe consultation would have had logistical problems...I don't know.

I have said all I want to on this subject, and feel that it is exhausted now. I will contribute nothing further to this thread.
So you wouldn't want to shop in a state funded fashion store?

I believe the Chinese did it, under Chairman Mao.

Ok it may have been a little drab, but there were some nice collar details on those little suits.

State funded woolcraft.

Not that much difference, except you can't really wear a wooly caterpillar, that successfully.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote