Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2011, 11:23   #241
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: News of the World Mobile Phone Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I don't accept that James Murdoch was inarticulate. Certainly, the pair of them were well rehearsed and prepared. The broad question surrounding Murdoch Snr is to what extent is he really going ga-ga or is he doing an Ernie Saunders?

Anyway, I thought the other committee hearing was just as interesting. Did anyone notice that young blondie Tory MP? I thought she was quite a stunna but probably wasting her time in the house...she looked more like Page 3 material to me.
MP Louise Mensch is the one who upset Piers Morgan and is in the video I linked to a few posts up. I think she is great for upsetting him

I think Rupert Murdoch is about as gaga as you are T.

I recorded the whole lot but fell asleep watching Rebekah Brooks so will have to watch it later
Old 20-07-2011, 11:41   #242
Super Moderator

Although this is a thread wander, is no one concerned that this whole charade is just a distraction from far more significant worldwide events? The Greeks may be about to default, the Italians and Spanish might be dragged into it and the whole Eurozone might be about to explode, which would inevitably have some effects on us.

There's also the little matter of the world's largest economy days away from the possibility of defaulting. This time next week Murdoch and NI could be forgotten as we cope with the fallout from a worldwide economic meltdown.
Old 20-07-2011, 12:56   #243
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Although this is a thread wander, is no one concerned that this whole charade is just a distraction from far more significant worldwide events? The Greeks may be about to default, the Italians and Spanish might be dragged into it and the whole Eurozone might be about to explode, which would inevitably have some effects on us.

There's also the little matter of the world's largest economy days away from the possibility of defaulting. This time next week Murdoch and NI could be forgotten as we cope with the fallout from a worldwide economic meltdown.

In a word....Yes.
It puts me in mind of Nero....fiddling while Rome burned.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 13:13   #244
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In a word....Yes.
It puts me in mind of Nero....fiddling while Rome burned.
Only he didn't.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 13:33   #245
Beacon of light

Just a turn of phrase(not meant in any historical sense) used to cite inappropriate action/lack of action while something very serious is happening, and concentrating on something of lesser consequence.......literary licence, I think it is called.
Old 20-07-2011, 13:47   #246
God Member

Quote:
..literary licence, I think it is called.
I prefer the term 'diversionary propaganda'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 13:56   #247
God Member

Therefore could both Margarets please explain to us:

a) How the UK government can sort out the US budget impasse?

b) How the UK government can sort out the PIIGS economic crisis?

If, as they claim, the British body politic is engaged is silly diversionary matters like the hacking scandal, then it is implicit that they can deal with the gathering economic storm. So please - tell us - what can be done?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 14:02   #248
Beacon of light

Margaret, do you mean the furore about the phone hacking, or my little aphorism?

I think the newspapers being full of this news is diversionary propaganda.
Yes, it is a scandal, but all the investigations in the world aren't going to get to the bottom of the muck pit....because too many PPPs are involved(police, press and politicians).

David Cameron is now saying that if Coulson can be proved to have known about the hacking, then he(David Cameron) will issue a profound apology.
What is the difference between an apology and a profound apology?
Neither of them changes anything one iota.

David Cameron employed Coulson because he knew all the tricks that the media get up to...and it should have been plain enough that if he knew about all these dirty tricks, then he had to have been involved in some of them. In itslef that should have set alarm bells ringing for DC...the fact that it didn't, proves his judgement to be critically flawed.
Old 20-07-2011, 14:08   #249
Beacon of light

Quote:

If, as they claim, the British body politic is engaged is silly diversionary matters like the hacking scandal, then it is implicit that they can deal with the gathering economic storm. So please - tell us - what can be done?

Do you mean to tell me you don't know Tealeaf?

Well, there, you do surprise me.

And why is it implicit that they can deal with the gathering economic storm?
It could just be that they are playing for time....and diverting attention away from something which is far more serious than the current situation.

And just to put the record straight, initially I didn't say it was a diversionary tactic........I asked MargaretR if she meant my little quote about Nero fiddling while Rome burned,(though I know he didn't) was what she was referring to.....but after thinking about it, I decided it could be.....I would put nothing past these corrupt people who are supposed to be leading us.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-07-2011 at 14:10. Reason: MYOB
Old 20-07-2011, 14:10   #250
God Member

Quote:

I am not suggesting solutions, and I doubt whether the government could offer any either.

That does not preclude the public from being advised of the likely outcome of the crash of the dollar and/or the euro.

Individuals with investments in either currency would be glad of any such advice.

Old 20-07-2011, 14:17   #251
God Member

Quote:
Do you mean to tell me you don't know Tealeaf?

Well, there, you do surprise me.

And why is it implicit that they can deal with the gathering economic storm?
It could just be that they are playing for time....and diverting attention away from something which is far more serious than the current situation.

And just to put the record straight, initially I didn't say it was a diversionary tactic........I asked MargaretR if she meant my little quote about Nero fiddling while Rome burned,(though I know he didn't) was what she was referring to.....but after thinking about it, I decided it could be.....I would put nothing past these corrupt people who are supposed to be leading us.
I do know - but I'm asking you. You are the ones you have raised this matter, not me. So - come on - stop wasting time - give us your answers, now.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 14:28   #252
God Member

Quote:
I do know - but I'm asking you. You are the ones you have raised this matter, not me. So - come on - stop wasting time - give us your answers, now.
I am not an economist. If I had answers I wouldn't be surviving on a pension and living in a 'council cave'.

I do watch the economic predictions of Gerald Celente who forecasts 'The Greatest Depression due 2011'.

So for the layman, advice is on the lines of -
...if you have money to invest buy gold and silver
...have a stockpile of non perishable food.

Old 20-07-2011, 14:43   #253
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be perfectly honest i reckon most people are aware the Euro/Euro Zone is on the verge of disaster, unless people are blind/dumb/or dont wish to know? also if it does theres sod all we can do about it,fact! so yeh can call this diversionary, which it may be, but i prefer watching these gits squirming.
Old 20-07-2011, 14:49   #254
Beacon of light

Quote:

I am not wasting time....you choose to come on here. If you feel it is a waste of time, then you have a choice.

As for you knowing the solution......if that is true(which I doubt most sincerely) then you won't need me to tell you.
Another thing, if you do know the solution to the major debt crisis...why aren't you working for a financial institution like the IMF.
It is obvious your talents are wasted on here.

The current financial crisis is puzzling far greater brains than mine(or I suspect) yours.
Old 20-07-2011, 16:00   #255
God Member

There is much more to this whole deal than phone hacking and insincere apologies. We are talking about the possible bribing of politicians .... I suppose you call it campaign contributions like we do .... in order to influence policy. And, of course, bribing law enforcement officers. No doubt, Murdoch and his crew would love to see this whole deal drift away as the tide of public opinion ebbs into apathy. If he can keep it up until the football season starts, he is home free In the US, Murdoch has influenced (paid) politicians to pass legislation which would favor the extension of his influence over the media. Fortunately ... and sometimes you have to admire the American legal system ... Federal courts have overturned the deals. I wouldn't worry about the PIGS; the krauts can bail everyone out ... that would constitute a partial payment for the mess the sonsabitches caused last century.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..