Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Same Sex Marriage a step to far?
Agree? 11 28.21%
Disagree? 7 17.95%
Live and let live? 8 20.51%
Stick to Civil Partnerships? 14 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2013, 23:24   #301
Senior Member+

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Interesting that a US Republican senator, previously vehemently opposed to same sex marriage, has now changed his tune because his son is gay.

BBC News - US Republican Senator Rob Portman favours gay unions

Maybe it should be an unwritten law that the only people to be taken seriously in a debate about the evils of same sex marriage should be those who can provide written proof that they or one of their offspring is gay, and STILL they think same sex marriage is wrong.

It might redress the balance a bit!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2013, 08:45   #302
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Interesting that a US Republican senator, previously vehemently opposed to same sex marriage, has now changed his tune because his son is gay.

BBC News - US Republican Senator Rob Portman favours gay unions

Maybe it should be an unwritten law that the only people to be taken seriously in a debate about the evils of same sex marriage should be those who can provide written proof that they or one of their offspring is gay, and STILL they think same sex marriage is wrong.

It might redress the balance a bit!
You must have enjoyed that Story gynn you've posted it twice with a slight addenda

Last edited by jaysay; 16-03-2013 at 08:47.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 09:30   #303
Beacon of light

Just because everyone is doing something does not make it right.
Just because everyone believes in something...doesn't make that right either.

I would not care who in my family was homosexual.....I still would not be in favour of same sex marriage.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 19:09   #304

Why does it matter what sex they are if two people love each other and want to spend their lives together? Far better to have a healthy same sex relationship than an unhealthy heterosexual one, I really don't understand what the fuss is about? I haven't trawled through all the previous comments just some of them,but really why does it matter?
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 20:07   #305
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Why does it matter what sex they are if two people love each other and want to spend their lives together? Far better to have a healthy same sex relationship than an unhealthy heterosexual one, I really don't understand what the fuss is about? I haven't trawled through all the previous comments just some of them,but really why does it matter?
It don't matter a hill of beans.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 20:21   #306
Beacon of light

I couldn't give a flying fig what people get up to in the privacy of their own home...and I am not against same sex relationships........but marriage is between a man and a woman.
Anne if you are going to comment, and make that comment relevant then just to read a couple of posts will give you no real idea of what has gone before.
It is about same sex marriage. It wasn't about unhealthy heterosexual relationships.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 16-03-2013, 20:38   #307
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
...but marriage is between a man and a woman.
What! And who decided this? The politicians you don't trust? Or the God you don't believe in? How about "marriage is a union between two idiots who haven't noticed the divorce statistics?" Or the Islamic version: "Marriage is a union between a man and a sub-human punching bag"?
jaysay and susie123 like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 22:00   #308
Beacon of light

No...politics has no place inside religion....and religious leaders should also not meddle in political affairs.
You ask who decided this.......well, if you believe in him...God did.

I know it is not seen as politically correct to voice these opinions......but there are a lot of people who pay lip service to one thing and believe something else....because they don't want to speak out for fear of being branded homophobic.
Stick a label on someone for their views and you immediately stifle any debate.
Old 16-03-2013, 22:04   #309
Beacon of light

Eric, the divorce statistics are going down...for the simple reason that many people do not bother to get married in the first place.
As for my spiritual beliefs......I'm not sure I have shared them on here...my political beliefs....are there for all to see. I do not trust politicians. This isn't likely to change any time soon.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:21   #310
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Certainly doesn't matter to me Anne I've always been a live and let live person
Old 17-03-2013, 08:25   #311
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What! And who decided this? The politicians you don't trust? Or the God you don't believe in? How about "marriage is a union between two idiots who haven't noticed the divorce statistics?" Or the Islamic version: "Marriage is a union between a man and a sub-human punching bag"?
its the way you tell um Eric a sub-human punching bag
Old 17-03-2013, 08:31   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No...politics has no place inside religion....and religious leaders should also not meddle in political affairs.
You ask who decided this.......well, if you believe in him...God did.
So who in your eyes decides it?????
Old 17-03-2013, 09:34   #313
Beacon of light

I think I have answered that question.
Old 17-03-2013, 13:35   #314
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
That's just it, the issue isn't about the relationship it's about the governments insistence about it being a marriage. For me I really couldn't care less who does what to who, what, where or when.

What I do find offensive is a government & certain groups demanding & insisting that I accept their ways on an even footing. Why should I ? I'm prepared to let people go about their lives as they choose so long as I can have the same freedoms, it's the individuals choice, but being forced to accept a situation gives rise to resentment which then furthers intolerance.

On top of that there are far more pressing issues affecting the populace. Now if only the government would attempt to resolve these concerns with a modicum of the ardour they've pursued this insignificance, well, we'd probably have full employment, secured borders & a booming economy.
Old 17-03-2013, 13:53   #315
Beacon of light

Well said. My sentiments entirely.
BERNADETTE likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..