Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 12:54   #76
Senior Member+

Re: BENEFITS hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes..I do know that the answer is that tax avoidance is legal...but it should not be.
If I am taxed on the very small amount of interest my savings account accrues, then those who make shed loads of money should be paying their whack too.
Margaret, if you could avoid paying tax on your income I'm sure you'd want to. I certainly would!

It's legal because it's within the laws- the laws need changing to make major avoidance into evasion.

There's one big coffee house chain which pays no tax because it makes little or no profit.
Why- because it buys its coffee from its sister company on the continent at such inflated prices the UK branch makes no profit, the sister company makes huge profits but in another country which has a much lower tax rate than us.

Now how do you get round that? It's immoral but it's legal.
DAV007 likes this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 10-02-2014 at 12:56.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2014, 13:20   #77
Beacon of light

Gordon......I have always worked for companies and organisations which operate the PAYE system, so tax avoidance hasn't been something which has been available to me.
Yes, I know it is legal...and that is why I said that you cannot blame the companies who avoid paying tax by legal means.
As to the company who make lots of profit in reality, but fiddle the books to make it look like they make a loss.......I would NEVER buy a drink from them.
We all know that if they were making the losses they say they are, they would disappear from their prime locations in city high streets.

Politicians need to address these issues...but we all know they won't because many of them probably use accountants to minimise their own tax bills.

When I first started to draw my pension I was in the 10p tax band...Gordon Brown came along and doubled my tax bill....my little bit of savings accrue very little interest(this money was put aside for my retirement so that there would be a bit of a buffer when bills rose - as they invariably do) but what interest is accrued is taxed......sometimes I wonder if I should have blown the lot on fast cars and slow men !
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 13:24   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
sometimes I wonder if I should have blown the lot on fast cars and slow men !
Margaret, forget the fast cars and slow men!

Just go for fast men, you'll save money on the fast cars and have more fun.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:02   #79
Beacon of light

I chose fast cars and slow men purely because I don't want to be caught.
I don't need a man to have fun(now don't be reading anything strange into that comment )
Old 10-02-2014, 14:16   #80
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I don't need a man to have fun(now don't be reading anything strange into that comment )
Reading anything strange into it? My words but you do rabbit on!

A Picture Paints A thousand Words.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:26   #81
Beacon of light

No.....Rabbits don't do it for me either Less...especially not bright pink ones...heck you couldn't put that in a pie!
Old 10-02-2014, 20:05   #82
Senior Member+

does anyone know a taxi driver or builder who declares what they really earn?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 21:08   #83
Beacon of light

I think both taxi drivers and builders are having it hard right now.
And if they employ an accountant who can help them avoid tax is that any different to the likes of a certain search engine and a coffee house with an american currency in its name?
It is legal until some government(in the future) decides to close the loopholes.
Old 10-02-2014, 21:55   #84
God Member

Sorry to take this back to the original post but my tuppence worth is that benefits are very hard to get off, particularly if you have any kind of debt beforehand.

After a few years of flitting in and out of work as a teenager I worked for 15 years solid, paid my dues and tried to live a life. I got a mortgage, took equity out to improve my home etc etc. Then through no fault of my own I was made redundant. For over two and a half years I struggled to get a job. I was applying for up to 40 jobs a week, above my means, within my means and well below my means. I couldn't get in anywhere and did only 4/5 months worth of temporary work in that 2 1/2 year period.

Unemployment means that you don't have money to spare, holidays are gone, repairs to the house fall behind until it seems like everything is broken, food shopping is frugal and uninspiring. BUT, you kind of learn to live within your means and all your debts revert to a minimum £1 a month token payment and nobody can touch you for it. Mortgage assistance can be sought (depending) and the bills just about get paid. IF you have the opportunity to get a job the pay is often so low that it really isn't worth getting out of bed for - its a despairing thought but its true. Potential overtime or bonuses seem to be the only incentive. After a while you really do almost give up on the idea of work and settle your arse down to a life of stable poverty. There are those who have no intention of working at all, but most unemployed do at least dream of getting that job where they can afford to splash out a little.

Eventually I managed to grab an opportunity to set up my own business window cleaning using a government backed loan scheme. It's a big gamble to add to my already bulging debt but it was the only way I could see myself breaking out of the drudgery and trying to make a go of my life. I don't make much at all at the moment but I do make more than I did sitting on benefits and I'm out and about with my self respect back. Hopefully one day I'll acquire enough customers where I can be one of those that goes on holiday or can afford to fill the tank on the car - but until that day I'm happy to just be working
Guinness, cashman, Eric and 4 others like this.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 10-02-2014 at 22:00.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 23:08   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Sorry to take this back to the original post but my tuppence worth is that benefits are very hard to get off, particularly if you have any kind of debt beforehand.

After a few years of flitting in and out of work as a teenager I worked for 15 years solid, paid my dues and tried to live a life. I got a mortgage, took equity out to improve my home etc etc. Then through no fault of my own I was made redundant. For over two and a half years I struggled to get a job. I was applying for up to 40 jobs a week, above my means, within my means and well below my means. I couldn't get in anywhere and did only 4/5 months worth of temporary work in that 2 1/2 year period.

Unemployment means that you don't have money to spare, holidays are gone, repairs to the house fall behind until it seems like everything is broken, food shopping is frugal and uninspiring. BUT, you kind of learn to live within your means and all your debts revert to a minimum £1 a month token payment and nobody can touch you for it. Mortgage assistance can be sought (depending) and the bills just about get paid. IF you have the opportunity to get a job the pay is often so low that it really isn't worth getting out of bed for - its a despairing thought but its true. Potential overtime or bonuses seem to be the only incentive. After a while you really do almost give up on the idea of work and settle your arse down to a life of stable poverty. There are those who have no intention of working at all, but most unemployed do at least dream of getting that job where they can afford to splash out a little.

Eventually I managed to grab an opportunity to set up my own business window cleaning using a government backed loan scheme. It's a big gamble to add to my already bulging debt but it was the only way I could see myself breaking out of the drudgery and trying to make a go of my life. I don't make much at all at the moment but I do make more than I did sitting on benefits and I'm out and about with my self respect back. Hopefully one day I'll acquire enough customers where I can be one of those that goes on holiday or can afford to fill the tank on the car - but until that day I'm happy to just be working
I enjoyed reading your post they're the kind of posts I wanted to see more of before silly season,Thanks.

It's a shame the jobs just aren't out there anymore.
You get 100+ others all applying.Nowadays Job security is if you can get a job if your unfortunate enough to find yourself unemployed.
Thanks again for sharing.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:03   #86
Beacon of light

Quote:

So benefits are a trap.
They damage self worth, self esteem.
They stamp on aspiration. Work isn't just about money, it is about pride, independence...achievement....being part of a social scene....giving something.

As for the silly season Accyexplorer(and this is said with respect) - it is what happens in threads that get a bit 'heavy'....and you should get used to it becasue if you check back through other serious threads that we have all been part of you will see that to be true....it doesn't take anything away from the thread, rather it underscores the seriousness by providing a contrast.

To Maccawazzagod - I say this to you...very well done. You must be proud of yourself...and so you should be.
I wish you much success and applaud your efforts.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 11-02-2014 at 07:13.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:44   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Know yeh had a crap few years Rob, also know if anyone deserves to make it, YOU DO, Good luck mate.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:11   #88
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Yes..I do know that the answer is that tax avoidance is legal...but it should not be.
If I am taxed on the very small amount of interest my savings account accrues, then those who make shed loads of money should be paying their whack too.
I did my tax return at the end of last month, very depressing when you see you have paid more tax than the GDP of Wales
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31   #89
Beacon of light

Neil, if your had to pay so much you must be coining it in ()
You need to seek the services of a good accountant......I'm sure they would get you a discount.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:29   #90
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

BENEFITS hmmmm

Quote:
Neil, if your had to pay so much you must be coining it in ()
You need to seek the services of a good accountant......I'm sure they would get you a discount.

Do a quick google, bribe a few bankers and you'll be able to see how much he's managed to tuck away in his off shore Nigerian account!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..