Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree165Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34   #256
Beacon of light

Re: BENEFITS hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
The pedant in me has to say they are abbreviations, not acronyms.

If you want to be really pedantic, they are initialisms, which are a subset of abbreviations.

Does that count as an extra two things learned today?
This is the definition of an Acronym...from The OED

acronym: definition of acronym in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2014, 11:50   #257
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This is the definition of an Acronym...from The OED

acronym: definition of acronym in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
Thanks Margaret so an acronym is an abbreviation, I think Studio25 said it wasn't.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43   #258
Beacon of light

I don't propose to argue with The OED!
Old 01-05-2014, 17:26   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Thanks Margaret so an acronym is an abbreviation, I think Studio25 said it wasn't.
No - you said that TLDNR and TMLW were acronyms, they are not. They are initialisms.

An Acronym is indeed an abbreviation - but it's one that is usually said as a word such as NASA or UNESCO.

An abbreviation which can't be said as a word, such as TLDNR or TMLW is an initialism, which is also an abbreviation.

Did you actually read the definition in the link Margaret provided?

Here's a picture - just in case you're still struggling

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 19:51   #260
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
No - you said that TLDNR and TMLW were acronyms, they are not. They are initialisms.

An Acronym is indeed an abbreviation - but it's one that is usually said as a word such as NASA or UNESCO.

An abbreviation which can't be said as a word, such as TLDNR or TMLW is an initialism, which is also an abbreviation.

Did you actually read the definition in the link Margaret provided?

Here's a picture - just in case you're still struggling
Corrected, chastised and enlightened thanks Studio25
"What a day"

Studio25 likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 14:52   #261
Senior Member+

Still too depressed to work? Benefits Street's White Dee enjoys a £500 bottle of champagne in Magaluf as she headlines at Carnage pool party | Mail Online

She Doesn't look too bad for someone deemed 'medically depressed'...

....looks like she's having a 'whale' of a time

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 15:33   #262
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

BENEFITS hmmmm

Thank you for your diagnosis Doctor.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 17:50   #263
Beacon of light

and there was me thinking that alcohol and antidepressants were not good together...maybe if you have enough champagne you can hit the pills on the noggin.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58   #264

I watched the BBC Panorama programme "Life On The Front Line" last night. This followed the council officers in the London Borough of Brent for seven months to find out how the Benefits Cap was affecting families.

I've been on the breadline myself so have some sympathy. However, when I saw shots of one street scene which showed the type of housing which has always been associated with residents who have a recognised trade qualification and not somewhere where unskilled or penniless students with children could afford to live my sympathies diminished somewhat.

I don't think I'm on my own when I say I couldn't pronounce all of the names of the clerks or the claimants. When told they'd have to leave London and be housed elsewhere, the latter insisted they didn't want to leave London and its mixed culture. In one case one claimant was adamant he'd only come to the UK in order to live in "London". The word "London" seems to be a magnet. Whilst researching my family tree I had the dickens of a job finding one ancestor, a coachman, in the mid nineteenth century where the northern baptism of his baby noted: "Father works in London as a servant". In those days there was London city and the borough of London which extended into part of Middlesex.

If you compare the map of the Metropolitan Borough of London in 1900, with the Metropolitan Borough of London today it's expanded enormously into all the surrounding Counties, such as Kent, Sussex, more of Middx, etc., etc.

Putting two and two together; on the one hand we have Brent Council who were sending claimants (if agreeable) to Birmingham and on the other hand we have the government pushing for the High Speed Rail to Birmingham ....... I reckon some other counties such as Warwickshire, etc. will sooner or later be part of the magnet known as "London".

1900 Map of London
The Pocket Atlas & Guide To London, Plate 2

Current map of "London" the white section is within the earlier boundary
http://217.154.230.196/NR/rdonlyres/.../areamap_l.jpg

Last edited by Lucysgirl; 09-05-2014 at 13:01.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 00:03   #265
Senior Member+

Here we have another story of a young guy who 'fell victim to the system'

Tragic youngster killed himself because he couldn't get a job - but was too proud to claim benefits - Mirror Online

R.I.P lad

password--Accyweb
Old 21-05-2014, 07:27   #266
Beacon of light

Bad news sells papers.
It is sad that this young man has died....but if he refused the benefits he was entitled to then it is partly his fault. This may sound harsh, but it is how I see it.
Consider this young man against the young chap who died just last week after raising millions for a teen cancer charity.
If anyone had grounds to wallow, to feel that life was unfair, then it was the boy who died raising money.

The young man in this article had the opportunity of a full life ahead of him, a healthy life. Not one filled with hospital treatments(none of them exactly pleasant). Instead he chose to take his life.

Many people have to apply for lots and lots of jobs before they get anything.(this does not make the news or sell papers)

There are people who come on here who will tell you that they applied for hundreds of jobs. What they didn't do was sit and wallow. Some of them went out and did voluntary work to give them something to put on their CV and to give them confidence in their abilities.

There are local and EU elections tomorrow......the Mirror is a paper with a bias towards the Labour (Liebour) party so how fortunate it is for a story like this to land in their lap on the eve polling.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 21-05-2014, 17:41   #267

coroner Simon Nelson said: “Martin was clearly very highly thought of and these are fine attributes indeed.

“It may well be a moment of madness, but I feel sure that he intended the consequences of his actions.

“Young men in particular tend to act or react impulsively to life’s events. The way of trying to come to terms with life’s events is talking it through – even if you do not realise it at the time.”

I'm sure his friends and family wished they'd be there to talk to him at such a critical hour or so of his young life.

R.I.P young man
Accyexplorer likes this.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 17:59   #268
Senior Member+

While the current [deleted] in office have twisted the rusty knife deeper his death shows a deeper rot in society where someone's worth is being benchmarked by their ability to be a wealth producer. Of course this is the BS the politicians and media have brainwashed the nation with.
If you're not a wealth producer or consumer your just a 'useless eater'. People's worth should measured on them being a human being not an entry in a profit and loss account
MargaretR likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 21-05-2014, 18:42   #269
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
While the current [deleted] in office have twisted the rusty knife deeper his death shows a deeper rot in society where someone's worth is being benchmarked by their ability to be a wealth producer. Of course this is the BS the politicians and media have brainwashed the nation with.
If you're not a wealth producer or consumer your just a 'useless eater'. People's worth should measured on them being a human being not an entry in a profit and loss account
This is how he saw himself.
Had he bothered for one moment to talk to someone in his circle of family and friends then maybe...just maybe he would have reconsidered his actions.
I am not saying that it is not demoralising to be unemployed.....and I am not saying that he didn't try......but he got carried away with his 'hippo time'...he wallowed in the mire of his considered misfortune.

There were many things he could have done, but he didn't have the maturity to see them for himself or for that matter to seek help from someone who could have helped him see his value.

A family out there are suffering because they are asking themselves some very awkward questions right now. Questions that no-one can answer, because the only person who could answer them is no longer here.
Suicide is selfish. Much more selfish than taking benefits!
He could have taken benefits and didn't
Old 21-05-2014, 20:09   #270
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

BENEFITS hmmmm

Please Margaret, I do understand you can't fathom why people commit suicide, however do not write a person off as selfish, they are desperate and thinking there is no alternative (for them), there really isn't enough help for mental illness of it's varying types as a nurse I would expect far more tolerance from you, surely they are a victim perhaps of their own mind, but a victim all the same?
Studio25 and pallyman like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..