Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2021, 08:20   #1
God Member

Bills

Out of all we get, which one do you hate to pay the most. Would be added VAT but only use people who accept cash. The dreaded Council Tax must be my number 1.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2021, 13:20   #2
Full Member+

Re: Bills

TV licence
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 13:48   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

TV Licence also.
Old 12-11-2021, 14:32   #4

Tax on real ale
Less and DaveinGermany like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 18:49   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
TV licence
That is the one, O.K. Council tax is a bug, but who in this world needs a licence to fly a Television?
If the station can't make enough from advertising it's time for them to close their doors.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 06:48   #6

Here’s a laugh for you. I get a bill for water used every couple of months. As I am on my own, and I also get a Government concession which just about covers the usage, the balance of the bill is nearly always zero. On the bill is information as to how to pay it, and a note that if I have any difficulty in doing so to contact them and they will put me in touch with a financial counsellor. Bet you can’t beat that!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 08:24   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
TV licence
whats that.
Old 13-11-2021, 10:47   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
whats that.

Tsk! Old people!
Old 13-11-2021, 15:00   #9
Beacon of light

TV licence…but also….the standing charge on power bills…..why has there to be a standing charge…during the summer months our power usage drops and sometimes the cost of the power we have used is only a little over the standing charge….this especially true for the gas bill.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 22:55   #10

The TV licence was abolished here in 1974 – if I remember rightly it was decided to get rid of this as it was costing too much to police it. I think if any political party tried to bring it back they would never be put in power again!!!!

I dislike intensely the GST (Goods and Services Tax) which was brought in during 2000. Similar to your VAT I think. Currently it is at 10% on all goods and services, except for a few exemptions. Every now and then mention is made that this might be increased but so far nothing has come of that suggestion. Wouldn’t be surprised though as this Government has been spending so much money they are going to have to find a way of recouping it.
The GST certainly adds a fair bit to bills and purchases as it is, so I hope they do not increase it.
Old 14-11-2021, 12:29   #11

It has to be council tax, I don't mind the payments towards fire and ambulance services. The rest is pick up my rubbish at your convenience. And look at our street's and back alleys. Full of dumped goods...who's more lazy?
monkey hanger likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 12:36   #12

VAT was a 20% prepandemic, hospitality got a break of only 5%. Business' still went under. It's like this government has forgotten that there's still a vivid spike due...I'm sure by April next year everything will be knocked up to 20% VAT...more bloody jobless
monkey hanger likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 11:06   #13
God Member

VAT originally was introduced to replace purchase tax. in practise it just seemed an addition on the previous cost we all ended up paying. EU or whatever it was called then struck again.
Old 17-11-2021, 13:34   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
The TV licence was abolished here in 1974 – if I remember rightly it was decided to get rid of this as it was costing too much to police it. I think if any political party tried to bring it back they would never be put in power again!!!!

I dislike intensely the GST (Goods and Services Tax) which was brought in during 2000. Similar to your VAT I think. Currently it is at 10% on all goods and services, except for a few exemptions. Every now and then mention is made that this might be increased but so far nothing has come of that suggestion. Wouldn’t be surprised though as this Government has been spending so much money they are going to have to find a way of recouping it.
The GST certainly adds a fair bit to bills and purchases as it is, so I hope they do not increase it.
seems to me in that respect the Aussie government have more sense than the clowns here.
Old 18-11-2021, 00:27   #15

Doubt it, Cashie. Let’s not get carried away. Sense and Governments are not two words that go together these days.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..