Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2016, 18:39   #256
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
1 silver George V medal (someone must of been gutting losing).
British War Medal 1914-18, the details of the recipient should be engraved around the rim, might be worth looking at to see if you can trace the family. (Or if possible try to get hold of Retlaw & see if he can shed some light on it)
Stevie R likes this.
Old 05-04-2016, 22:04   #257
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
British War Medal 1914-18, the details of the recipient should be engraved around the rim, might be worth looking at to see if you can trace the family. (Or if possible try to get hold of Retlaw & see if he can shed some light on it)
Your correct,there is a Name/No and regiment round the perimeter,it would be great to reunite it with the rightful owners family.
I believe Retlaw was banned,I wouldn't know how to contact him but perhaps a member is still in contact and they can PM me.

I wonder if it was discarded by the recipient because they didn't want reminding of the horrors of war,I heard quite a few medals were purposely thrown away for that very reason.

I think I'll have to dig a little deeper and do some detective research

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:05   #258
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Your correct,there is a Name/No and regiment round the perimeter,it would be great to reunite it with the rightful owners family.
As a starter why not put the details up on here, you never know, maybe another member may have some information or even a connection, or even the local Accy museum in the Arndale (I think Retlaw frequents there on occasion).

Just a thought.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 06-04-2016 at 05:08.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:48   #259
Senior Member+

The engraving around the perimeter says "26625 PTE J.BOND G.GDS"

image.jpeg

I wonder if he was the original James Bond,there was quite a few records lost during WW2 and those that are left seem to be pay per view
Stevie R likes this.

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 06-04-2016 at 17:50.
Old 06-04-2016, 18:36   #260
Senior Member+

The mighty Google found this - Medal card of Bond, Joseph Corps: Grenadier Guards Regiment No: 26625 ... | The National Archives

without a doubt this would be something for Retlaw.
Accyexplorer likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 19:10   #261
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

And this

findmypast.com
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 06-04-2016, 19:11   #262
Full Member+

Quote:
I believe Retlaw was banned,I wouldn't know how to contact him but perhaps a member is still in contact and they can PM me.

I wonder if it was discarded by the recipient because they didn't want reminding of the horrors of war,I heard quite a few medals were purposely thrown away for that very reason.

I think I'll have to dig a little deeper and do some detective research
Retlaw often posts on this site: Great War Forum might be worth a try.
Accyexplorer likes this.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:05   #263

AccyX. Out of interest I have done a little bit of quick research and have found some things pertaining to the man I think just might be your Grenadier Guardsman, Joseph Bond, which I thought you would like to know. I am fairly certain this is the same Joseph as everything fits in.

He was a Private in WWI, joined the forces in September 1916 and had been to France. On April 13th 1918 his wife was notified he was missing. In December of that year, however, he was one of two Burnley soldiers who returned home. He had been in captivity near Essen and told some awful tales of the treatment he had received.

It seems that he actually lived in Sabden and before joining up was a gamekeeper for Mr. Starkie of Huntroyde. After he left the Guards he returned to being gamekeeper for this gentleman. He was still there in 1940 as there was a report of him catching a little owl – a rare bird in those parts, so rare that this actually made the news.

In 1918 the family address was 2a Heyhouses, Sabden. In 1932 his eldest daughter Catherine Muriel Bond married Herbert Parsons. That will give you something to go on.

I just hope I have followed the right man.
steve2qec and Accyexplorer like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 14:29   #264

He also visits Rossendaleonline too.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 18:58   #265
Senior Member+

Thanks for the input folks,I am determined to reunite it with a family member of the recipient.
As it stands though I keep hitting dead ends,perhaps my new contact,a chap similar to Retlaw in many ways,can hopefully enlighten me.
I'm thinking of making a newspaper appeal to see if anyone comes forward.
What do you think? I wonder how many descendants Joseph will have when folk see a silver medal up for grabs?
steve2qec likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 07-04-2016, 20:50   #266
Beacon of light

I have been reliably informed that many WW1 medals are not in the hands of family members and that there are 1000's in cabinets at Fulwood.
I have also been asked to pass on the message that appealing in local papers may bring little or no success as this man was not from Greater Accrington.

I really don't know if people value the medals which belonged to the soldiers in either of the great wars.
You see these folk taking the medals along to Flog it and The Real Deal....and getting just a paltry amount.
To me this disrespects the medal and the man who fought for his country to get it.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 22:27   #267
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been reliably informed that many WW1 medals are not in the hands of family members and that there are 1000's in cabinets at Fulwood.
I have also been asked to pass on the message that appealing in local papers may bring little or no success as this man was not from Greater Accrington.

I really don't know if people value the medals which belonged to the soldiers in either of the great wars.
You see these folk taking the medals along to Flog it and The Real Deal....and getting just a paltry amount.
To me this disrespects the medal and the man who fought for his country to get it.
I agree M,you can't put a price on something like a medal,something many didn't even get the chance to celebrate.
For me,reuniting it with a family member would beat any monetary gain so it won't be going up for sale (by me).

As I mentioned previously many medal were discarded by the soliders and also a large amount were sold as scrap and melted down.
I think around 4million of these particular medals were issued,giving a scary insight into the scale of the war.

If it was my relatives medal, I'd walk to Fulwood for the chance to have it in my possession.
Turtle likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 08-04-2016, 01:08   #268

Again assuming I am on the right Joseph, using Lancashire BMD as a quick check I have found that there was also a son as well as daughter Catherine Muriel. This was Frank born in 1907 in Padiham. He married Elsie Birtwell in 1934 in Sabden. Joseph's wife's maiden name was Parkincoates but unfortunately I haven't been able to trace any children of either Catherine's or Frank's, which is not to say there weren't any of course.

I'm afraid this isn't going to be much help to you, but I'll keep checking. Thank goodness for the Internet!
Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:12   #269
Beacon of light

Quote:
I agree M,you can't put a price on something like a medal,something many didn't even get the chance to celebrate.
For me,reuniting it with a family member would beat any monetary gain so it won't be going up for sale (by me).

If it was my relatives medal, I'd walk to Fulwood for the chance to have it in my possession.
Jason, all power to your elbow.
I hope you are successful and that the family(when you find them) value your efforts and treasure the medal won by their relative.
Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:52   #270
Senior Member+

I think its time to see what the 'power of the media' can produce....watch this space

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..