Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Grass Roots
Donate! Join Today

Grass Roots Do you play or have an interest in local sporting events? Darts, dominoes, rugby, tiddly winks? Talk about it here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree382Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2015, 16:05   #196

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Ok
You are right and I am wrong.
Are you happy now

Now then what are your thoughts on the hollows on the top of Moleside or the snipe hole to the east of Mitchells. I guess you know all the history about those sites as well.

Also what was the flooded underground stone chamber that is at the very foot of the western side of Greater Hameldon used for.
Please can you tell me where the Elizabethan lead mines were situated on Hameldon. I would be very interested to hear where you think they were situated.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2015, 06:17   #197
Resting in Peace

If you want a history lesson please start a new thread this thread is about metal detecting only thanks
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 17:09   #198
Senior Member+

I managed to get out on a local field for a couple of hours today,I found quite a few bits of trash at first but after a tweak the coins started rolling in including two silver shillings and a sixpence

image.jpg
dotti34 and Stevie R like this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 22:41   #199

i Guess you dont know as much as you thought about Hameldon after all
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:45   #200

Sorry Mick, I know you want this thread to return to the subject of Metal Detecting but before it does I feel I must put my two bob’s worth in.

Not sure if you meant it to come across like it has, disco, but you do sound quite rude to Retlaw. If you have read previous threads and postings by him you will know he is a mine of information and extremely knowledgeable. He has helped many Accywebbers (including me).

Now perhaps, like Mick has requested, this thread can continue re metal detecting – which I for one am finding very interesting, mainly due to AccyX. You've certainly found lots of things AccyX - hope you find a real treasure trove soon.
lulubeaut likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:41   #201

AccyX, how's the metal detecting going? Hope you're keeping at it as you never know what might turn up. A rare 1894 dime coin recently sold in America for almost $2,000,000! Only 24 were minted so there's 23 still out there, though doubt they will be in the vicinity of Accrington...but there might be other treasures just waiting to be found. Am sure there are.

Keep detecting - and keep letting us know what you find.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:34   #202
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
AccyX, how's the metal detecting going? Hope you're keeping at it as you never know what might turn up. A rare 1894 dime coin recently sold in America for almost $2,000,000! Only 24 were minted so there's 23 still out there, though doubt they will be in the vicinity of Accrington...but there might be other treasures just waiting to be found. Am sure there are.

Keep detecting - and keep letting us know what you find.
Thanks D,I'm glad your enjoying the thread,I wish Mrs E shared your enthusiasm for the hobby .

Sadly,due to the weather (and Mrs E),I haven't been out much lately.As soon as I do I'll be back trying to detect that Accrington hoard.
I've found coins from across the pond before so you never know, I may well stumble across one of them remaining 23 dimes.
I've tried researching the best places that could increase my chances of finding something of historical significance,under that old tree near that old Manor House etc,but I came to the conclusion you've got to have Lady Luck on your side because our landscapes have changed so much....

...watch this space

password--Accyweb
Old 26-01-2016, 07:33   #203
Senior Member+

Once again,I headed out yesterday with my detecting stick in search of lost artefacts that hold a key to our history and once again I came back with sod all apart from a few pre-decimal coins and some rubbish.
I'm not too bitter though (honestly) at least it was mild and I had a couple of hours in the fresh air.

The finds of note are:-
3 pennies (oldest is 1942)
2 half pennies (oldest 1938)
1 Shilling (1933)
1Sixpence (1922)
1 threepence (1953)
1 YHA badge (early-mid 1900s?)
1 Unknown (blank) button and one Unknown lead ring type object.

image.jpg
DaveinGermany, Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 28-01-2016, 14:13   #204
Senior Member+

I decided to have a hour or so on one of my local permissions this morning.
I started out finding nothing but the usual cans,bottle tops and ringpulls...

...then I realised I hadn't ground balanced the detecting stick correctly .
Anyhow,with half hour of leisure time left ,I balanced the machine correctly and started finding some coinage

Items of note are:-

2 early 1900s pennies
2 old keyhole covers
1 1925 sixpence
1 unknown & corroded coin (I will see if it cleans up later)
1 1923 (wren) farthing and another "cats eye".

image.jpg
Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 28-01-2016, 14:33   #205
Senior Member+

Is the object to the top right of your photo a cat's eye?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 22:32   #206
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Is the object to the top right of your photo a cat's eye?
Yes,inspired by the sight of car headlights being reflected in the eyes of a cat.
They could soon be a thing of the past if they allow the more modern solar led's.

password--Accyweb
Old 31-01-2016, 13:38   #207
Senior Member+

I took a stroll with the detecting stick across a local permission, the weather was horrid and the ground was very muddy.
The detecting gods produced a few bits for me including:-

3 old half pennies (1943,1920,1928)
2 old pennies ( 1939,1919)
1 old (military?) badge
1 corroded threepence,couple of buttons and a couple of unknown objects

image.jpg
Stevie R and Turtle like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 31-01-2016, 13:44   #208
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
1 old (military?) badge
Aye, Lancs cap badge.
Old 31-01-2016, 13:44   #209
Senior Member+

Here's a better pic of the badge etc.

image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 31-01-2016, 13:46   #210
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aye, Lancs cap badge.
Cheers D,a nice personal item

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..