Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2012, 09:48   #46
Senior Member+

Re: School Photo - Benjamin Hargreaves

I want to trace a lad called John Wild, who left Benjies in 1952 for the Grammar School. He became a teacher
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2012, 21:06   #47

I seem to recall a lad called John Wild lived on Burnley Road, almost end of terrace before the Cemetery Pub?
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 08:46   #48
Senior Member+

Thanks Bill. I don't know if it is him I have a way of checking - his address was in the Observer when he passed the scholarship
Old 19-12-2012, 11:57   #49

Birth records indicate John E Wild
Probably left the area after Grammar, like many did at that time?
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 15:56   #50

The John Wild you'rs looking for, Bob, is John David Wild. He lived in the Barnfield area. After AGS he went to Manchester University (French and Spanish). Merchant Taylors at Crosby may be your best bet. I think he retired from there.
I doubt he could translate the above!

Last edited by Balbus; 19-12-2012 at 15:58. Reason: Addition
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 18:31   #51
Senior Member+

Thanks This is him I had no response from Merchant Taylors
Old 23-12-2012, 15:14   #52

Sorry Ive been a bit slow on picking up on this. I was a friend of Margaret East. I lived at West Farm which is a long way up Sandy Lane. We passed Margaret's house on the way home and I have fond memories of her mum's(I presume your grandmother's) fruit cake. We later moved to the newsagents shop in plantation st. The last time I saw her was at an outing from the Ewbank factory where I worked as a student.

Sorry to hear that she had passed away.
ataylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 22:28   #53

hi, myself and two younger brothers went to Benjamin Hargreaves school, from about 1943/48, jenny lang was head mistress,gladys Arnett was mayoress of Accrington, and if I remember correctly mrs ratcliffe was a dinner lady, happy days
jimden24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 09:46   #54

Just over in England from where I live in France. I remember Margaret East well and used to play at New House - her mum used be be a dressmaker and made all my school dresses when I went to the High School. From New House they moved to Barnfield Street over the road from me. After Benjamin Hargreaves I went to the High School in form 1M - I think Margaret was in 3W - but only for a year when we moved to Bolton. Lost touch with her then but really saddened to here she had died.
lesley speak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 18:30   #55
Junior Member+

I believe the seventh in from the left on the middle row is Frank Seery
HPilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 19:24   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPilling View Post
I believe the seventh in from the left on the middle row is Frank Seery

Frank Seery died many years ago. It could be said that he was not suited to Grammar School -or any school where discipline was imposed on the unruly. He was a rebellious lad. I liked him On leaving school I think he became a builder's labourer.

(Harry Pilling and I were born in Rough Lee Maternity Home a day apart and our lives were in parallel for many years. We met up again at the house of a have a mutual friend one New Year's Eve at a party I didn't want to go to, but thoroughly enjoyed because we talked Accrington all night. . We met at a funeral yesterday.)
Old 29-01-2016, 19:42   #57

I have this photo at home. I was Carol Frankland and am 2nd from left on front row. I married John Glasson who was at BH at the same time.
Cglasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 16:07   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglasson View Post
I have this photo at home. I was Carol Frankland and am 2nd from left on front row. I married John Glasson who was at BH at the same time.
The members of the Accrington Grammar School Old Boys and the Accrington Stanley board of governors have asked me to send you our condolences. Carol
Old 12-08-2016, 12:18   #59
Junior Member+

I remember Mrs Barkers class. We all had little beds to have a lie down after lunch. Then we would gather round her sat on the floor for a story before it was time for home. Lunch was taken in a big shed type building which we were walked to in pairs. I used to love school dinners, a proper hot dinner everyday followed by a pudding. I did'nt like frogspawn(sago) though. I also remember being taken out on nature walks where we would gather tadpoles from the pond behind the church.
Katybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31   #60
Junior Member+

I used to live on Plantation St next door to the old Coblers and then was Eddelstons grocers. As a child about 4 or 5 they would let me put tins on the shelves and paid me 1 shilling for my work. I must have been a right pain but they were always nice to me. I used to buy liqorice sticks in the herbalist (like wooden sticks) to chew on and would sometimes be sent there for senna pods for my dad. It had a bell on the door and sometimes you had to wait for ages for the shopkeeper to come through.
Katybow is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..