Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 12:26   #1
Resting In Peace

School Photo - Benjamin Hargreaves

Does anyone recognise anybody on this school photo. It is Benjamin Hargreaves in the early 50's

Dorothy School.jpg
Cglasson likes this.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2010, 07:53   #2
Senior Member+

Re: School Photo - Benjamin Hargreaves

I don't recognise anybody, but took great pleasure in looking at it - lads in weskits, braces, Fair Isle jumpers, - such a variety of dress reflecting their parents' choices & their purses. I would have felt at home on this photo which could even be late 40s.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I don't recognise anybody, but took great pleasure in looking at it - lads in weskits, braces, Fair Isle jumpers, - such a variety of dress reflecting their parents' choices & their purses. I would have felt at home on this photo which could even be late 40s.
Haha .. yes, I loved that too .. have a school 'photo and look just like that little girl on the back row with the two big ribbons on top tied in bows.

Not me of course, I was at Peel Park .. and I had never heard of Benjamin Hargreaves school then. Even today, have had to google it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 22:06   #4
Senior Member+

Should have asked me katex. I went there until I was 10 & then Spring Hill for a year before joining the Hooligans from Blackburn Road.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05   #5
Senior Member+

I recognize the lad, top row left end, I,m sure it,s Maurice Waring who,s brothers ran the St Pauls scout troop in the early to mid 50s
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:00   #6
Junior Member+

I went to Benjamin Hargreaves in 1950-1 Couldnt be sure about identification. I do remember Barrie Yates though.

Brian Stott
peelparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelparker1 View Post
I went to Benjamin Hargreaves in 1950-1 Couldnt be sure about identification. I do remember Barrie Yates though.

Brian Stott
Sorry Brian, I do have a a faint recollection of your name but can't come up with a definite.
My mother had the shop on Washington St, just before Plantation St, until we moved to Lonsdale St and I went to Spring Hill.
Old 08-06-2010, 13:32   #8
Senior Member+

When did your mum have that shop Barrie? We lived across the back to the shop around 1958-66. The lady was called Essie and got most of my spending money.
Old 08-06-2010, 15:50   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
When did your mum have that shop Barrie? We lived across the back to the shop around 1958-66. The lady was called Essie and got most of my spending money.
We moved about '49 when we exchanged property with Essie & Fred - Fred (Essie's husband was my cousin).
Do you remember a lad further down your street called Keith (?) Entwhistle, and further down Washington St there was Christopher Firth and his sister Barbara?
Old 09-06-2010, 14:13   #10
Senior Member+

I remember Ian Entwhistle from down Percy St and a lad we called "sugar" but not any Firths. Tommy and Franny Franks lived on Cedar St and both went to St Annes.
Old 09-06-2010, 15:40   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I remember Ian Entwhistle from down Percy St and a lad we called "sugar" but not any Firths. Tommy and Franny Franks lived on Cedar St and both went to St Annes.
"Sugar" is Alan Smith, I think he went in the Navy and is now a painter and decorator.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 18:09   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
"Sugar" is Alan Smith, I think he went in the Navy and is now a painter and decorator.
Was a member of the owd "British Legion" club on broadway, saw him about 2 weeks ago.
Old 18-06-2010, 12:37   #13
Senior Member+

Alan Smith, course it was, thanks, the old gray matter is sometimes a bit slow. We were in St Pauls scouts together in the mid 50s, Gannet patrol I think.
Old 30-12-2010, 16:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Does anyone recognise anybody on this school photo. It is Benjamin Hargreaves in the early 50's

Attachment 16160
Don't recognise anyone but I went from 1956 until 1961. I think Miss Jackson was the headmistress and then Mr Eric Pilkington who also taught the top class. Have some school photos somewhere if anyone wants to see them.Mrs Barker taught infants and Mrs Palk Junior 1.
lesley speak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 17:17   #15
Senior Member+

Pretty sure the lad on the back row first on left is Maurice Waring, we were in St Pauls scouts together in the mid/late 50s.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..