Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 12:25   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington & District Boys Football League

I am in the middle at the front. On my right is Frank Westwell who was also known as Frank Parr. The boy at the back not kitted out is Philip Woods.
WOODNOOK66 likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2010, 15:14   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Hi Jaysay, the boy on the front row, second from the right looks very much like that Jackie (can't remember surname) that I mentioned in an earlier thread who used to play for Ossie Rovers.
Also didn't Steven Done live over West End ( not skeining row but the last but one on the right on Thwaites rd going towards Blackburn rd (I'm useless in giving directions!!) I do know he married a girl called Carol Moores.
Your right sue its me that's all to cock with this one, Steve Dunne lived on Skeining row, Steve Done did marry Carol Moores and it was he who played for Burnley, think his grandma lived on Tennyson Avenue she was friendly with my ex-mother-in-law, his niece used to baby sit for use when we lived up New Lane
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59   #48

Recognize the guy second on the goalies left, anybody know his name
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:54   #49

Are you any relation to the Gilmartin who was treasurer of Clayton Park Rangers at all? just a polite enquiry. regards all Old Saintonian !!!!!!!
Old Saintonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 04:25   #50

Dont think so OS, probably a 2nd or 3rd cousin, we were all related in some way.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 06:38   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Does anyone recognise themselves on this photograph. It was the league's representative team in 1963 (I think).
Bottom left is Billy Moore.
Old 12-07-2010, 22:00   #52
Junior Member+

I used to play for Ossy Rovers that year which was run by Fred Hindle and 'Pa' Procter. The Teams i remember were St James's, Loyola,St Augustines and there was also a team that played at Back Lane Baxenden but cant think of there name.
Peter Ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 23:38   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I am in the middle at the front. On my right is Frank Westwell who was also known as Frank Parr. The boy at the back not kitted out is Philip Woods.
just seen this- Frank Westwell was brought up on Dowry St, used to mate n play football wi him as kids, his nan used to live around the corner on Bradshaw St i think was called, we used to play footy against the garages n his nan used to go mental n chase us off, dunno what happened to frank aint seen him fer 45 yrs or so.
Old 12-07-2010, 23:46   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Does anyone remember a talented centre forward called Steve Done? Another name I recall was a defender that we all called Chang - I never knew if that was a nickname or his real name.
Doney went to accy tech, think he came down from Rhydinngs when they amalgamated wi the tech, was a good lad n good footballer.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:18   #55
Junior Member+

Boy on the back row, far right is Raymond Williams, he lived at the top of Westwood Street, went to St Mary Magdalen's then St Christophers
les stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 15:09   #56
Junior Member+

Yes i remember Steve Done,he used to play for Ossy Rovers when i did in 1963.Steve along with Bob Kenny and myself used to train with Burnley at Gawthorpe Hall in Padiham.I think Steve played a couple of times for the reserves,but as far as i know he played the rest of his career playing for Morecambe.
Peter Ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 19:04   #57

Steve Done was probably the most talented football player from Accrington in the 6os. As far as I know he was an apprentice with Burnley from 65, eventually signing pro with the Clarets playing for their Central League side. He left for Morecambe around 1968 and achieved semi-legend status there, also winning the FA Trophy with them. I think he also played for Chorley. But he was a midfielder in senior football. Became schoolteacher I think.

Who else is there? Hughen Riley?
Mandi Riley likes this.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..