Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2013, 01:44   #16

Re: Harvest Festival .....

The Coffee and Bun was certainly not for counteracting a hangover! At John Street Christian Institute we were completely teetotal. The late Minister's widow, Mrs. Harrison, used to tell people not to eat wine gums because she thought they contained wine! I went to the Band of Hope every Monday night for years. My Dad used to play the piano there. We used to sing choruses, have Bible stories, etc. The best behaved child got a "good behaviour prize". We were also very into the Lord's Day Observance Society, the junior branch of which was the Young Life Guards - you had to sign something promising "not to buy or sell or cause any unnecessary labour on the Lord's Day" - this meant things like buying a Sunday paper or paying a bus fare, unless it was to travel to church of course! Don't know what all these people would think if they could come back now - supermarkets open Sundays, etc. They'd turn in their grave!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2013, 13:38   #17
Rest in Peace

When I was a young lad I attended St James church in Clayton-le-Moors where every Whit Monday we walked all around Clayton with all the other churches, with each church having a band playing at the front, after the procession we all met on the woodlands to be served coffee and buns.
When I became eighteen and old enough to go in to pubs and clubs I was a member at the Con club just on the canal bridge and on Whit Monday stood with my mates on the steps outside the club watching all the young girls growing up into women. Happy days
Judith Addison likes this.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 15:12   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
When I was a young lad I attended St James church in Clayton-le-Moors where every Whit Monday we walked all around Clayton with all the other churches, with each church having a band playing at the front, after the procession we all met on the woodlands to be served coffee and buns.
When I became eighteen and old enough to go in to pubs and clubs I was a member at the Con club just on the canal bridge and on Whit Monday stood with my mates on the steps outside the club watching all the young girls growing up into women. Happy days
I remember the Whit Walks ... in fact, I think I might have a couple of pics ... now if only I can remember in what safe place I put them.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:02   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember the Whit Walks ...
Me too - used to walk down from Accy to my gt-gt-uncle's house, 14 Whalley Road Clayton, to watch them - what a great spectacle with all the bands and banners. Would love to see any photos you could find, Eric.
Old 20-02-2013, 17:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Me too - used to walk down from Accy to my gt-gt-uncle's house, 14 Whalley Road Clayton, to watch them - what a great spectacle with all the bands and banners. Would love to see any photos you could find, Eric.
In an Observer a couple of weeks ago my wife was one of the brownies processing from 1971 as photographed by G Dawon
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 17:48   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
In an Observer a couple of weeks ago my wife was one of the brownies processing from 1971 as photographed by G Dawon
Is that viewable online, Clive?
Old 21-02-2013, 19:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Is that viewable online, Clive?
Not sure Sue. Mum in law had saved it from a couple of weeks ago same page as Dennis Taylor with some snookery friends.
Old 21-02-2013, 20:00   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Not sure Sue. Mum in law had saved it from a couple of weeks ago same page as Dennis Taylor with some snookery friends.
No couldn't find, can't look at a page via the new Accy Obs site, very Manchester centric. Found Dennis Taylor but that's it. Never mind, thanks anyway.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:26   #24

Found it Sue. Scan down attached page.
Looking back: Snooker legend Dennis Taylor's visit to Accrington - Accrington Observer
(Tight in the quiz btw!)
Old 22-02-2013, 09:14   #25

And another! It's like buses.
Census forms, beauty contests and church ... - Accrington Observer
Mount Pleasant Ossy this time.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:56   #26
Resting In Peace

Thanks so much for taking the time to find those Clive, must say the website had me defeated (and you know I don't like that!).

The guides procession pic is looking up Whalley Road Accy towards Clayton - we used to live just the other side of the bridge. But look at the length of the skirts! Wow!! I was in Cannon Street guides a decade earlier and took part in many processions - remember it well. I've also got some photos of walking days like the one in one of the other pics you've posted - might look them out some time.

Since we've strayed off thread (which is about harvest festivals) it was also good to see the market photo what a dfference from today, eh? And finally, yes it is tight in the quiz - especially since you didn't play yesterday! Thanks for that! I'm still chasing that elusive top average, but I think the eleven people we've got now make a good team and are good to play against. Just wish we had some better questions sometimes. See you there later on...
Old 22-02-2013, 22:11   #27

No problem Sue. Coincidentally my wife lived in the same area at this time - Owen street but was probably a bit young for your crowd I guess.
Old 24-02-2013, 00:47   #28

We used to walk from Ossy over Dill Hall to Clayton to watch the Whit Walks. Then we used to go on to Great Harwood for the Agricultural Show. We then used to call at "Sunnyside Cafe" on Whalley Road, Great Harwood for ice cream. The cafe was run by one of my uncles, Joe Addison.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:38   #29
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
We used to walk from Ossy over Dill Hall to Clayton to watch the Whit Walks. Then we used to go on to Great Harwood for the Agricultural Show. We then used to call at "Sunnyside Cafe" on Whalley Road, Great Harwood for ice cream. The cafe was run by one of my uncles, Joe Addison.
Judith I think you could have got slightly confused, Whit Monday afternoon was always taken up with the annual Enfield/Accrington cricket match and the pubs and clubs had all day licence to stay open. Great Harwood Show was always Whit Tuesday, it is now held on Spring Bank holiday.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 21:17   #30

Harvest Festival early/mid 70s at St Johns Church Accrington thats me at the back the picture was in the Observer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0474.jpg (466.4 KB, 17 views)
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..