Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2017, 09:15   #1

butchers shop in huncoat

hello all, It's been a while since I posted anything on Accy Web but I am seeking a little information.
Does anyone remember a butchers shop situated on Station Road in the middle of the first row of terraced houses above the Railway pub pre 1960 ?

I have a vague recollection that it belonged to a chap called Billy Grimes but no one that I have talked to in the village can confirm that, although some recall the name.

Many thanks for any info on the subject.

P.S. I also recollect my father saying that a "Billy Grimes", used to live in an old stone built cottage by the canal above Sykeside Wood in Altham.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2017, 15:24   #2

Re: butchers shop in huncoat

I'm from Huncoat lived on Prospect terrace 1943 to 1967 the only butcher who had that shop was called Ormrod Clegg , he also had a shop in Hapton.
taddy likes this.
plunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 19:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunge View Post
I'm from Huncoat lived on Prospect terrace 1943 to 1967 the only butcher who had that shop was called Ormrod Clegg , he also had a shop in Hapton.
Many thanks for the above, I have lived in the village from 1954 until the present time, we must know each other!
Old 01-11-2017, 20:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Many thanks for the above, I have lived in the village from 1954 until the present time, we must know each other!
Dont need a name but did you once drive a "Matbro" fork lift truck at "Redac"
brickworks ?
Old 02-11-2017, 13:15   #5
Full Member+

Plunge is correct about Ormerod Clegg having the butchers on that block and also one in Hapton. I remember him in Hapton at bottom of Castle Street. He had been there years as my mum served her time baking at a shop in Castle Street in the early 30s and she used to go to his shop for the meat for the pies. He must have had it 20 odd years at least. I think he lived in Manchester Road Hapton at one time too.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 20:16   #6
Senior Member+

Any members on here got a Barrett's Directory ? Surely there wouldn't be more than one butcher in Huncoat
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 22:33   #7
Full Member+

Oh you would be surprised Bob how many shops there were in villages years ago. There were around 20 shops in Hapton when I was a child and there were definitely 2 butchers.
Huncoat had more shops than you would imagine too. It even had a bank !
Old 03-11-2017, 12:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Oh you would be surprised Bob how many shops there were in villages years ago. There were around 20 shops in Hapton when I was a child and there were definitely 2 butchers.
Huncoat had more shops than you would imagine too. It even had a bank !
After reserching,(fancy name for looking up), the bank in Huncoat, I think it may have been Huncoat Bank as shown on the old O/S maps, the name is very little used now but the War Memorial stands on land off Burnley Lane known as Huncoat Bank, opposite where Huncoat (Old Hall) once stood.

Your's Taddy.
Old 03-11-2017, 15:56   #9
Full Member+

No Taddy there was a bank , the sort where you deposit money. I have no idea where abouts it was but there certainly was one.
taddy likes this.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
No Taddy there was a bank , the sort where you deposit money. I have no idea where abouts it was but there certainly was one.
Thanks, Rowlf, I shall get my researchers on the case,
Old 07-03-2018, 18:08   #11

My godmother was called Mildred Grime, and her father Thomas Grime had a stall in Accrington Market. I believe there was another Mr Grime, also a butcher in Accrington Market. I don't know if they were brothers or if they had connections with Hapton.

Grime, J&J Butchers, 42 Clement St, Accrington, (house).

Thomas Grime 216 Burnley Rd and later 520 Burnley Rd Accrington (both addresses are houses, the latter is where I knew them as a kid)

I believe Mildred's family had connections in Wales.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbarton View Post
My godmother was called Mildred Grime, and her father Thomas Grime had a stall in Accrington Market. I believe there was another Mr Grime, also a butcher in Accrington Market. I don't know if they were brothers or if they had connections with Hapton.

Grime, J&J Butchers, 42 Clement St, Accrington, (house).

Thomas Grime 216 Burnley Rd and later 520 Burnley Rd Accrington (both addresses are houses, the latter is where I knew them as a kid)

I believe Mildred's family had connections in Wales.
When my family first moved to Huncoat in 1954, I seem to remember a man called Billy Grimes had a butchers shop in the village but I was only a knee biter of seven year's old at the time and that was 64 year's ago; I have asked other long term residents but their memory's are as bad, if not worse than mine.
Your's, stay happy; Taddy.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:49   #13

I do have it on good authority that there used to be two butchers shops on Station Road in the village, one as someone posted earlier was a man called Clegg, maybe the other was Billy Grimes's shop.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52   #14

Just re-read my post, if I didn't make it clear J.J. & Thomas Grime were both butchers.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbarton View Post
Just re-read my post, if I didn't make it clear J.J. & Thomas Grime were both butchers.
But did they have a relation who had a butchers shop in Huncoat village ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..