Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24   #91

Re: Knowlemere Street dance

Hi Les, last April I posted a picture in the gallery (old Accrington..Streets)of the shop on the corner of Whalley road and Knowlemere Street, It was taken before before it was a chemist, you can see a Tram in the picture.
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2010, 21:45   #92

we were knowlmere st fans in 1954 a wonderfull place cliff & elinor my brother & i had private lessons 1 hr for 5 bob with donald knight wonderfull dancer a wonderfull time who else went at that time vi
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 22:01   #93

mr dobson who was cashy no doorman when i went to knowlmere st no need for one no shrinking violet
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 04:14   #94
Junior Member+

I remember Lennies Combo at Knowlemere St. I sang with the group for a short time.Do you remember me ? I went to Lennies 21 bithday bash to Blackpool on the coach and met a great guy on the coach home who became my husband of 52 years.He played with the band whilst on of the guys was away. He played Giuitar Boogey. We are still both musicians. Im a drummer. Adrians a Piper.From Shirley nee Williams in Canada.
Toe Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 15:33   #95
Junior Member+

Yes! Clifford was a great guy. I used to live in Clayton and when I was called up for National Service, we had our first weekend leave in the middle of square bashing, when it was time to return to camp on a Sunday night, I had just missed the bus to Manchester and was standing on the side of the road wondering what to do when alone came Clifford in his sports car and pulled over. After findinding out what had happened, he ran me all the way to Manchester an I easily caught my conection. I would have been in real truble but for him. RIP Clifford, Thanks a million.
PiperAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 01:37   #96

You are right Barrie there was an "off licence' nearby it was on Whalley Rd if my memory serves me correctly. I also went there (both the DanceHall and the Off Licence) in the 50's (except 1956 and 57 - in the Army), wasn't it open also during a weeknight?

And for all those girls whos mother said that only "Bad" girls went to it, how would they know unless they experienced it themselves, its like calling the kettle black.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:19   #97
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
You are right Barrie there was an "off licence' nearby it was on Whalley Rd if my memory serves me correctly. I also went there (both the DanceHall and the Off Licence) in the 50's (except 1956 and 57 - in the Army), wasn't it open also during a weeknight?

And for all those girls whos mother said that only "Bad" girls went to it, how would they know unless they experienced it themselves, its like calling the kettle black.
Still there Keith, still an offy. It's actually on the corner of Knowlmere street and Milnshaw Lane but you can see it from Whalley road.

Sadly the red phone box nearby where you could go to quaff your booze has been replaced by an open shelter with a phone in it.

I was a 60s girl at the Arcs, remember having a Twist dress when the dance craze was on - red with white spots and a full skirt from the hips. Simple pleasures!

PS I just love your signature.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Still there Keith, still an offy. It's actually on the corner of Knowlmere street and Milnshaw Lane but you can see it from Whalley road.

Sadly the red phone box nearby where you could go to quaff your booze has been replaced by an open shelter with a phone in it.

I was a 60s girl at the Arcs, remember having a Twist dress when the dance craze was on - red with white spots and a full skirt from the hips. Simple pleasures!

PS I just love your signature.
My memory isn't what it used to be , I thought the off licence was on Whalley Rd just up from the Bridge, still it was a long time ago.was o
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I thought the off licence was on Whalley Rd just up from the Bridge
Well it is, sort of... Going up Whalley Road from the bridge, most of the area before the end of Milnshaw Lane is taken up with what used to be the Clock Garage, now Kwik Fit Tyres & Exhausts. Then there is a gap where the ends of Knowlmere Street and Milnshaw Lane meet before the buildings on Whalley Road continue northwards. The off licence is in that gap, on the corner, facing Whalley Road. If you look on Google maps for Accrington, it actually says Urban Retreat on that corner, which is a hairdresser and is actually on the corner of Whalley Road and Knowlmere Street going north. The offy is right underneath where the scissor and comb symbol is. It's easy to see if you switch to Google Streetview.

I know that offy well. I used to live on the other side of Whalley Road a bit higher up, opposite the Cong church. Even before I used to go to the dance hall I would be there on a Saturday night. My dad and I would stay in on a Saturday night and watch TV while my mum went out and he would send me down there for crisps, chocolate and fags (those were for him not me!). No booze, he was TT. A bag of crisps was a real treat in those days.
Old 02-03-2012, 00:51   #100

How right you are, looked it up as suggested,it brought back many hppy memories, one more thing can you remember a Fish & Chip Shop in Whalley R on the RH side going towards The Hospital, it was before the bridge almost opposite a Church (Methodist I think). Best Fish/Chips/mushy peas for a long way.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
How right you are, looked it up as suggested,it brought back many hppy memories, one more thing can you remember a Fish & Chip Shop in Whalley R on the RH side going towards The Hospital, it was before the bridge almost opposite a Church (Methodist I think). Best Fish/Chips/mushy peas for a long way.
Yep that was Percy's, been mentioned several times on other threads as has the offy! Of such are memories made.

Still there, on the corner of Maudsley Street and Whalley Road with the new Eastgate ring road behind it. Only now it's the Orient Chinese takeaway. Once again google maps/streetview are your best bet for locating it.

And you're right the church was Methodist.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39   #102
Junior Member+

Urban retreat hairdressers has been closed for a while. It is now a home care agency. It was the bike shop for many years,can't remember the name but remember buying my sons 1st bike from there. The phone booth was vandalised so many times it has been removed but the old post box is still on the wall of the off licence.
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 16:35   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
My memory isn't what it used to be , I thought the off licence was on Whalley Rd just up from the Bridge, still it was a long time ago.was o
I used to buy Cherry B's for a certain young lady there and then we would go into the phone box while she drank it - happy days
Old 08-03-2012, 18:11   #104

These posts brought back so many happy memories of going to Knowlmere st with my friend Elsie 59/61, don,t remember ballroom dancing there only bopping I have a photo of us taken outside we also went up the con wasn,t allowed up Joe Mort,s oh for the good old days.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 10:25   #105

I went there in 1966ish I was only 12 along with my friends of the same age. I remember walking in for the first time and OUT OF TIME by Chris Farlow was playing and the atmosphere was electric. The Arts was a popular place then along with THE DISCO over the top of Catlows fruit and veg shop.....aww memories

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..