Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2011, 21:35   #16

Re: Scam Phone Call - PC Problem Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
you all need to register on the tps and then you won't get the calls (mobile too)
TPS

on the same website you can do mail as well
I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service, but unfortunately it does not block calls from overseas.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2011, 21:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They don't get chance with me Michael I tell um to eff off first
I couldn't swear back at them, John, because I was sat next to my mum! Next time I will take the phone into another room, then I can let rip!
Old 29-11-2011, 09:04   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
you all need to register on the tps and then you won't get the calls (mobile too)
TPS

on the same website you can do mail as well
Sorry harwood red, makes no difference, TPS only works on companies within the UK, can't do a darn thing about calls coming from abroad and I've talked to BT about this, there are certain measures you can do, I've now gone ex-directory which will help some what when the new edition comes out
Old 29-11-2011, 09:11   #19
Resting in Peace

The best one I have heard lately was one call made to my other half, was from an organisation called Dignity, which pre arranged funerals, this woman rang Joan last week and went through the spiel, which intimated she had filled in a survey, she said I haven't filled in any service, to which the woman replied well you must have done I've got your details, with just a little smile Joan said well if I did fill in a form of any sort I'm hardly likely to spell my name wrong, my name is Mrs BOWN, not Mrs BROWN, phone goes dead
Old 29-11-2011, 12:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sorry harwood red, makes no difference, TPS only works on companies within the UK, can't do a darn thing about calls coming from abroad and I've talked to BT about this, there are certain measures you can do, I've now gone ex-directory which will help some what when the new edition comes out
And don't forget, Harwood Red, we are talking about scam phone calls. The crooks won't bother about the TPS service before they call. If they did, they would be pretty conscientious crooks!
Old 06-05-2012, 19:52   #21

had a word with them on this and also BT they told me it is virtually impossible to stop international,withheld,and out of area calls,and advise just to listen and if there is a pause then more than likley it is a cold call centre call form out of this country.
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16   #22
Senior Member+

We get an average of 2 per week. Always with "Out of Area" or "Number Witheld". I usually let them chunter on for a little while and then tell them that I don't have a computer and advise them to go away in my best basic Anglo Saxon
Old 07-05-2012, 16:14   #23
Senior Member+

I've been getting calls from a company called Moneymatters, I don't know what they want as I don't let them get that far into it. I asked where they were calling from and the person on the other end said Philippines. I explained I was ex-directory and registered with the T.P.S. ( I know it doesn't count for externals) and they said they would remove my number from the list, I then got a call the day after. I haven't had a call in a week, so perhaps the fact they don't get to go into the sales pitch has put them off. I don't think so for a minute but heres hoping.

Last edited by Mick; 08-05-2012 at 04:47. Reason: breaking site rules no phone numbers to be posted
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:46   #24
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
We get an average of 2 per week. Always with "Out of Area" or "Number Witheld". I usually let them chunter on for a little while and then tell them that I don't have a computer and advise them to go away in my best basic Anglo Saxon
I do pretty much the same.......I feign a bit of deafness and get them to repeat their spiel two or three times(I'm not paying for the call - let them worry)....then I ask them if they think an old woman of 85 would know what to do with a computer..click and they are gone. I don't need to resort to the anglo saxon terminology.
(and before any of you wags ask - NO......I'm not 85)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 17:38   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
We get an average of 2 per week. Always with "Out of Area" or "Number Withheld". I usually let them chunter on for a little while and then tell them that I don't have a computer and advise them to go away in my best basic Anglo Saxon
Ya Barrie its surprising just how good my Anglo Saxon has become since these clowns have decided to keep annoying me. I got one with a difference last week it was one about PPI firm, it started, this is an automated call, so I listened to the spiel then they gave options, press 1 if you would like to speak to an advisor or 9 if you wish to unsubscribe (hadn't subscribed in the first place) I pressed 1how can I help you, well you can stop annoying me by keep phoning and emailing me for a start, the language I used was defo Anglo Saxon though
Old 07-05-2012, 20:21   #26
Senior Member+

well this phone call wouldn't work on me because

1) I don't use antivirus
2) I use Linux

Old 08-05-2012, 07:53   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

1) I don't use antivirus
2) I use Linux

You don't use Windows at all for anything?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I've been getting calls from a company called Moneymatters, I don't know what they want as I don't let them get that far into it. I asked where they were calling from and the person on the other end said Philippines. I explained I was ex-directory and registered with the T.P.S. ( I know it doesn't count for externals) and they said they would remove my number from the list, I then got a call the day after. I haven't had a call in a week, so perhaps the fact they don't get to go into the sales pitch has put them off. I don't think so for a minute but heres hoping.

Apologise for posting a phone number, I should have read the rules.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You don't use Windows at all for anything?
Caught me out there. Keep forgetting as I never see it. Yeah use 7 to run xbmc on my htpc. But this is only very recent. Careful use don't need to worry much about virus. But up recently just linux for everyday use.

Last edited by Neil; 09-05-2012 at 05:34. Reason: fix quote
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

1) I don't use antivirus
2) I use Linux

I got a phone call from the windows technical department this morning Restless, I took your route, I USE LINUX, this is the Linux department was the reply, oh is it, when did they amalgamated then, line goes dead

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..