View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 21:56   #25
jsumner123
Junior Member+

Re: Floods In Rising Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
My wife is originally from Rising Bridge and is compiling some notes on her time there. She has tried to register on Baxenden On-Line Scribbles which has some info about the area but cannot register.
We were wondering if any of the historians on here could help with the date of an event.
In the 1960's there was a flood in Rising Bridge when Parkinson's Confectionery shop and the house next door collapsed into the river. Luckily, it was holiday time and nobody was injured but we are trying to establish a date for this event and hoped that someone with connections with Rising Bridge could shed some light on it.
Thanks
I remember the floods very well. The date would be about correct as I would have been about 6yrs old at the time & was at my grandmas that day.
My grans house was at the top of east view which runs over the stream that flooded. I recall standing outside the house watching the water covering the road.
There was also a row of houses next to the stream which were also flooded & had to be demolished a few years later.
I'm led to believe the main cause of the damage was a car being pushed under the road bridge & out the other side. I can actually remember the car being a yellow ford anglia which was only a few weeks old.
The actual flood was caused by a dam further up northfield road failing & collapsing.
Some things are indelibly printed on ones brain as a child & are never forgotten.
jsumner123 is offline   Reply With Quote