View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 14:57   #28
Paul Savage

Re: Hyndburn Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I was involved as a Councillor when the decision to sell was made. Deregulation as you mentioned was one of the main contributory factors in the decision to sell, as it was for Local Authorities up and down the Country. I know one or two Authorities managed to hang on to their bus fleets, but not many. It was essentially about being being able compete financially following deregulation . As for some of the information your after, there a few of the people who were involved at the time still knocking about. But unfortunately some of those who were closely involved, certainly at a member level are no longer with us. I'll make enquires and see what I can come up with.
Thankyou Bernard - that is greatly appreciated. Any information would be of great use. I am seeing that there were a lot of 'politics' around at the time and the final sale appears to have been a bit controversial, but I want to avoid being judgemental and make the story a readable piece which folk can relate to.

As you say, it was a sign of the times following deregulation and the interest will be in how Hyndburn tried to cope with this and hold on to the public transport operation until it became impossible.
Paul Savage is offline   Reply With Quote