View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07   #30
Paul Savage

Re: Hyndburn Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocuana1939 View Post
We started off working as a Conductor collecting fares and issuing tickets then iwas taught to drive the busses. I did know quite a few of the oldies. Dick Owens was quite a character. Charlie Bell was the Accrington Corporation Driving Instructor. The depot was in Ellison Street. I was gone by the late 60s due to going to Australia. A lot of intrigue "On The Buses" as I recall. What type of history are you looking for?

Thanks for your message.

From an employee viewpoint, I'd like to find out what it was like to work for Hyndburn Transport. From the outside, it seemed like a generally decent operation, but how was it really for the workforce? Things like relationships with management, what passengers really thought of the service (I'm sure drivers picked up on this?), what did drivers think of the fleet and how it was looked after - it's the 'inside story' I need to paint a picture of the business rather than examples of 'on the road' experiences.

My overall aim is to tell the story of the last years of Hyndburn Transport; how it changed from a typical council owned business (this is where the background information comes in); how it dealt with the pressures of deregulation and increased competition and why it finally died. I want to include insight from employees and management, policies, hard data on the fleet and its developments - anything which will help put meat on bones.
Paul Savage is offline   Reply With Quote