View Single Post
Old 27-07-2012, 17:32   #67
mobertol
God Member

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I am quite looking forward to watching the opening ceremony tonight to see if it is as naff as it promises to be, with the farm animals and dancing nurses etc.

I think it is time that countries stopped trying to out do each other with these spectaculars costing millions of pounds and went back to what the Games should be all about = sport. We have heard far more about the ceremonies than about the actual games so far.

To many people, sport in all its aspects is a large part of their lives, whether as competitor, coach, spectator or whatever. It gives a focus and purpose and can help folks turn their lives around. It also contributes to the health of he nation's inhabitants and provides employment for many.

As in many other aspects of modern lives, big business and money have become involved, leading to telephone number salaries for footballers and other downsides.

We should not forget however that for what I hope is the majority of participants in these games, this will be the highlight of their lives, whether they win or lose. They will just be happy to have been there.
We are all looking forward to seeing it here -just hope it won't be naff as the only Brit present.

I do like fireworks so i hope they are good.

I imagine that for most of the athletes who don't stand a chance in hell of winning, that just taking part is the pinnacle of their career. I enjoy quite a lot of sports and can see the skill in most of them - but to be honest some of the best sports events I've ever watched were when my son was playing football as a little one and was goalkeeper for Scalenghe FC near Turin -great fun and you can't beat cheering someone you know on!

(Hated having to wash the kit and clean the boots though!)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 27-07-2012 at 17:33. Reason: Parenthesis...
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote