Thread: The Tories
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2012, 18:45   #1734
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Privatisation wasn't just a "bit of political dogma". It lead to competition which benefited the consumer, replacing inefficient state monopolies and taking the taxpayer off the hook. Take the telephone market. Could you imagine only having the choice of BT? There'd be no reason for them to improve their service, sort out your problems with haste or provide cheap internet access. You have the choice of a large number of suppliers, allowing you to pick the one you prefer.

Politicians do not know best. They can't predict what goods and services people want. Business meets consumer demand, and business fails when it gets it wrong. When politicians decide what is best for us we end up with inefficient and expensive services that we all pay more tax for.
Oh to be so innocent and naive..inefficient state monopolies...I remember when I had an issue with water, gas or electric I could use my BT phone and get in touch with someone without going via 12 options only to reach an Indian with little grasp of English.

I could even go down to the Electric Showroom or Gas Board and see someone in person about my complaint.

I once had a problem with British Gas that took me 3 years to get resolved because I had to deal with the email/telephone complaints system instead of being able to speak face to face