View Single Post
Old 28-08-2012, 11:09   #9
mobertol
God Member

Re: Do you class photography as art, and if so do you have anybodys work on your wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
so if you are walking along with your camera, and capture a moment of time, with no forethought into the image, is it art?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Photography could be used to produce something akin to art, whatever that is.

In this case art seems to be defined as something you'd hang on your walls.
For me photography is definitely an art-form in its own right.

I get a bi-monthly magazine -pretentiously called Intelligent Life (I like to kid myself!) it's part of The Economist group, which features fantastic photography of all kinds -portraits, wild-life, architecture...you name it. May be worth looking up on Google -I expect you can see a lot of it. I like looking at images -the more you look the more you see.

Last year I was teaching a group of older teenagers in preparation for an external council of Europe English exam (PET -Preliminary English Test) - on of the oral exam tasks was to describe a photograph for two minutes. Most could only manage a few seconds as they didn't know how to even look at a photo and see beyond the flat image never mind describe it in English!

As to walking along and just mindlessly taking shots -that doesn't happen -you mentally frame what you see to make it pleasing to your eye -even if you do it subconsciously. So as Garinda rightly says - we are categorising it into something to hang on our walls the moment we take it even if we don't realise it.

Why are so many of us keen to put our own photographs on the photo threads here? We are all in our own way trying to share our emotions through what we've seen - perhaps it isn't great art but it is our own take on it.

On my walls I have some of my own photos but they are old ones from the days of my reflex camera -when I used to get things printed -since going digital 10 years ago they are just on the computer and I never print them.

In my kitchen I have a pin-board full of cards, postcards etc of places and things that mean a lot to me -most are cards I sent home from the Lakes, there's a lovely Lowry reprint card and also a beautiful photo by Tommy Martin of Water Nook House in Howtown -one of my most treasured places. Look him up on Fine Art Landscape Photography by Tommy Martin - Tommy Martin Photography and you won't be disappointed -esecially for his shots of the lakes. He has a great gallery too.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote