View Single Post
Old 30-08-2012, 18:58   #2051
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Can't help you there Kes - didn't get close enough to investigate! I think there may have been other species around but we didn't see any in our brief visit. Have seen mandarins around in other places.

BTW those geese were not in Hyndburn - they're in Grange over Sands on the edge of the Lake District. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about them...

The Bar-headed Goose is often kept in captivity, as it is considered beautiful and breeds readily. Records in Great Britain are frequent, and almost certainly relate to escapes. However, the species has bred on several occasions in recent years and around five pairs were recorded in 2002, the most recent available report of the Rare Birds Breeding Panel. It is possible the species is becoming gradually more established in Great Britain. The bird is sociable and causes no problems for other birds. The "wild" population is believed to be declining in Great Britain due to over-hunting.

Six rare birds in one pic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Yes I know Grange over Sands we used to go to that lake there with all the ornamental ducks there, that where you took the photos?

I've seen the TV programs about the Himalayas the Bar-headed Goose is the highest flying goose and migrates over the mountains there. There are many in the London parks I've seen some flying.

Also there is a Pelican that can fly in the park but it stays in the park.

Last edited by kestrelx; 30-08-2012 at 19:05.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote