View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 21:28   #362
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Eric has the insight of living over the pond where the drug situation is far far worse than it is here.

You have a good point. How many would quit if they was not illegal? A lot of people might do it for that thrill. Having to "score" drugs from dealers can be a very scary experience for somebody in their youth that is not in the same mindset. This is one of the reasons that sometimes makes me lean towards legalisation
It's all relative.

The use of recreational drugs here has gone through the roof here, over the last thirty years ago. Both locally, and nationally.

In the past there'd usually be one dealer supplying a few neighbouring towns. Nowadays you can score within minutes, after one quick text on your mobile. Easier and faster than getting a cab, and sometimes cheaper.

It could be said this increased usage as happened at the same time that there's been less and less criminal prosecutions, for anything other than supplying drugs.

Smoke a joint in public, and if you're really unlucky, you might meet a plod, who'll make you extinguish it.

I personally have friends who take every drug going. None of them have ever been done for personal possession. When was the last time you read in the local press of anyone who's been prosecuted for possession of an illegal drug? Yet the number of people using drugs locally has increased a thousand fold in the last few decades.

Coincidence, that the number of users has increased so dramatically, a few of whose lives will end miserably because of drugs, whilst at the same time there's been a marked 'turn a blind eye' policy regarding the use of recreational drugs for personal use?

As stated earlier, in my opinion, I think not.

My opinions are arrived at through numerous interactions with drugs taken as recreation. Some of which details I've already given in this thread, others I haven't.

No way are my opinions arrived at from a position of naivety.

Trust me, that's really very far from the case. From being a young clubber, then an art student, and then working in the fashion business for so long, drugs were very much part of the worlds I lived in.

When it comes to the small minority on here, the nice ol' pot smoking pro-legalise supporters, versus myself, in deciding who knows more about the myriad of drugs available, from glue through to the latest must have designer drug for clubbers, and all their pros and cons.

If I was a betting man, you can bet your sweet bippy that my money would definitely be on myself knowing more about recreational drugs per se.

Much more so than ol' Grandpa Walton, rocking away on his verandah, toking away on a big fat spliff, or Alice Nutter, puffing away in her hermetically sealed bubble.

No offence by the way.

Any illustrative similarity to any living forum member is purely coincidental.

Besides, Eric's much more like John Boy.