View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 21:47   #365
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Dear Restless -without seeming patronising -I have 2 sons in their early 20's so I have an idea what it's like for you "youngsters" - life is short in some terms, yet in other moments it's not that easy. Learn to appreciate what you have timewise and healthwise. I wish you and my boys 100 years -but lets' be honest it's not that likely, unfortunately...apologise for posting having said I'd leave it there with these threads...
I worry too.

Drugs are much more readily available to young people now, than at any other time in the past.

Fact.

Seen with my own eyes in Hyndburn, and elsewhere.

Most young dope smokers would be genuinely shocked if someone told them that smoking weed is actually a criminal offence. Mainly because the law more or less turns a blind eye to possession nowadays.

Decriminalisation would give the green light that recreational drugs are harmless.

For most they are.

For a minority they'll lead to a life of misery, and for some death.

It's a risk.

You never know when you take your first drug socially whether you'll have a great time, and little or no side effects, or your personality will mean you'll soon become addicted, and hooked on the effects, needing stronger and stronger drugs to recreate that initial euphoria.

I live in the real world, and it's a world where drug usage is very widespread.

I have young relatives about to enter that world.

I'll do everything in my power to get them to weigh up the risks that taking drugs as a recreation bring.

I hope they survive that world.

Most of my friends have.

Some didn't.