View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25   #492
cashman
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Having been away I have to say I'm sorry I missed this one and most has probably been said but I am actually in favour of at least de-criminalising the use of drugs. I have often said that there should be no interference with anyone's personal lifestyle choices as long as they harm no-one else.
Before I get shot down by people shouting, "What about the drug addicts who steal and rob to fuel the habit", I would say this: a few years ago the then chief constable of Middlesborough, who had one of the most efficient anti-drug squads in the country, said that there was no hard and fast proof that this was the case. He said that the vast majority of drug users who stole and robbed were thieves and robbers before they ever started using drugs.
I have known a lot of drug users over the years and I have found exactly the same. I have known addicts who would never steal from anyone and the ones who did were all into crime prior to any involvement with the drug scene.
I believe, perhaps wrongly because you can only judge anything by your own experience, that the connection between crime and drugs is more a created thing by the powers that be because they wish to stop drug use as it is not in their interests. Most drug users are only "criminals" because society (or authority) has made their use illegal.
So how did yeh miss this one? the thread was started in March, unless yeh had a long holiday? Or perhaps yeh been having a toot as well?