View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 14:40   #2
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: how old is your link to Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
reading on another thread, i saw someone state that, their great great great grandparents grave was in sj james church

got me thinking, how far back is there trace of your ancestors in accrington, i dont mean your knowledge, or recorded in a book knowledge, i mean gravestones, pictures in the town hall, that sort of thing, something anyone can just "see" when walking round accrington

mine would be Sgt James Edward Partlin, his name is on the cenotaph in oak hill park, died of his wounds, flanders 1917, he was my great great grandfather, and his wife May Partlin was shipped over to spend time with him as he was dying, apparantley a common occurrence during "the great war"

so whats yours?
This is the Newspaper report of his death, the first she knew was in a letter from her hubands C/o.
As to relatives being allowed to visit dieing soldiers, the Red Cross did run such a service, permission to visit had to come from the War Office, it depended a lot on what their injuries were & which hospital they were in, I've seen a lot of copies of telegrams where permission to visit is denied
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Partlin. J.E. Border Regt-9-18.jpg (353.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-09-2012 at 14:47.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote